Voices that irritate you, in a good way...or not

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Voices that irritate you, in a good way...or not

How is it that some voices can be irritating, and yet enjoyable?

What started me thinking about this was the thread about punk rock.  I have to confess I don't  know much technically about punk music, but the punk voice is basically intended to be an unpleasant shriek, right?
    In that thread I mentioned a band called Billy Talent, who started out with the punk rock label.  I think they are now classed as alternative or some such thing.  The lead singer's name is Ben Kowalewicz.  He has what I would guess to be a classic punk voice.  He also has some power and range.  When I heard their first single I thought, the guy's voice is irritating, but I think I like it.  What's up with that? 

The song was 'River Below'.  Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3jyZRDlII

I really like this song.  A lot of energy and nastiness, filled out by good guitar hooks.  Typical of this band's output.  Please somebody, take a look.  Don't be afraid.

Pondering on the matter as I tend to do, I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of irritating voices out there that people seem to like. Why is that?  Is it because of what Dostoevksy said about human nature, that we consciously choose things we know are bad or wrong, because we prefer it to being bored?  Or is it something inexplicable in our neurology, our pleasure circuits?  I have no clue.
    But I do enjoy Billy Corgan's voice most of the time.  And I usually like Dexter Holland's voice.  (He's the lead singer for the Offspring, and I had to look it up.)  Those are examples of what I would consider irritating voices.   

Then of course there are the raspy and gravelly voices that have had so much appeal over the ages.  From the blues masters to Janis Joplin to Joe Cocker to Axl Rose.  And what about those nasal twangy country voices.  Is Don Henley a better singer than Glenn Frey?  (Again, I don't know that he really is.)  Is it because we appreciate voices that have character or are 'distinctive' rather than the snowy pure and the vanilla sweet?

As my thread title suggests, there are also voices that we find just plain irritating, and not in a good way. 

What are the voices that you find irritating/enjoyable, and the ones you just find irritating, and do you have any idea why you find them that way?     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Voices that irritate you, in a good way...or not

Cool topic ... definitely Geddy Lee tops my list. I used to think, "If he had a better voice, this group would be perfect." Now, I can't imagine anyone else singing "Limelight" or "Spirit of the Radio," etc.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

jeff mangum - neutral milk hotel

somethin about it, i just love it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All high pitched children's singing voices like Micheal Jackson's when he was a kid.  It feels like ice picks in my ears.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Jim James - amazing in its dexterity and yet distinctive; a current top fave.

Irritating (both voice and music): the singers for Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, Train, Dishwalla....

There's a video currently streaking through the web of the Cookie Monster "covering" Tom Waits' "God's Away On Vacation"...freeakin' hilarious and weirdly poignant.... 

Waits is definitely an acquired taste, but I find great solace and comfort in his voice...like it would be the last one I want to hear on my deathbed.

Related note: I've noticed that some women, perhaps more on the younger side, have adopted a kind of tremor in their voice, like "r-r-r-r-r" that seems to end every utterance, as if their chin is pressed against their larynx.  It drives me bat-sh**; it seems at once local and everywhere... like the sad ghost of the equally ear-splitting 'brahmin' accent of yore.

Anyone else know what I mean...??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Voices that irritate you, in a good way...or not:
    [QUOTE]I used to love those gutteral growls that blues singers like Koko Taylor use to spice up their songs.  Then I started taking voice lessons, and now all I hear is "Ouch, ouch, ouch.  Stop doing that!" when they do those.  As for those who are annoying, but I like anyway,  Don Henley definitely leaps to mind.  And yoga's all-time favorite,  David Byrne, is up there too.  It is amazing that the guy had a long career as a singer, with a voice like that. Somehow, it works.  Tell'm Y!  LOL.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]Totally howling, Slim.  The thread that will go down in infamy, right?  Glad to have you in my corner, re: David Byrne.  Can't help myself, no love lost there.  

I recently mentioned the most nasal voice of all time, the biggest hoax in popular music -- James Taylor.  Why his concerts sell out (although at Tanglewood, considering the audience, is that really all that hard to do? -- sorry if that offends anyone) I'll never know.  He's toast.  Over and out.  

Stevie Nicks - nuff said.  

Tom Waits I can cut some slack to, I am still trying, believe me, I try.  He's an enigma to me, and he's sexy.  I can't give up on the idea I might be able to really listen to his voice at some point.   But let's face it -- he has to be considered an acquired taste -- and I might acquire the taste at some point.  

Then there's Neil Young.  Not a great voice by any measure, but I love his voice, in fact, I love everything about him.  Yes, everything, even his looks. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The song was 'River Below'.  Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3jyZRDlII

I really like this song.  A lot of energy and nastiness, filled out by good guitar hooks.  Typical of this band's output.  Please somebody, take a look. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hfx, I like the video and the song.  I would classify it as alternative rock as well (over punk).  It's hard to tell for sure, but the lead singer looks a little like a cute version of  Iggy Pop.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Little Steven.

It's nothing particularly irritating about his voice . . .   he simply can't sing.

And yet he remains awesome.

I'd probably put Cyndi Lauper in this category, too.

And who could forget Lene Lovich?

"You . . .   you must . . .  you must want . . .  what do you want?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ugh, stevie nicks...the goat. can't stand her nowhere

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Bob Dylan seems like the classic irritating voice.  Most singer-songwriters are songwriters first, so there's a lot to choose from there.

The one voice I find extremely irritating and it is not in a good way is Alannis Morrisette.  Whenever I hear her stuff on the radio, I think, I might really like this song if anyone else was singing it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]The song was 'River Below'.    Here is the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3jyZRDlII I really like this song.  A lot of energy and nastiness, filled out by good guitar hooks.  Typical of this band's output.  Please somebody, take a look.  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hfx, I like the video and the song.  I would classify it as alternative rock as well (over punk).  It's hard to tell for sure, but the lead singer looks a little like a cute version of  Iggy Pop.    
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for checking it out.  I agree, he does look like Iggy.  Another great song and video of theirs to check out is 'Fallen Leaves', which is the song that persuaded me to buy the CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPg63uxYwN0&ob=av2e

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Voices that irritate you, in a good way...or not : That reminded me of another.  He's done very little singing, and frankfully it's awful stuff,  but I like it, like it, yes I do. Give it up for Keith Richards!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Yes, I like his awful vocal on 'Before They Make Me Run'. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

When Howlin' Wolf is your all-time favorite I guess it means you like rough voices that irritate. If it weren't for such voices, I wouldn't listen to as much pop music. 

So for me, Tom Waits goes down quite smoothly, thank you. And same goes for the caterwauling of Neil Young. It's all about feel for me, not technical ability.

I second the Alanis Morrisette comment above. Her voice does irritate me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

bjork has a really weird voice sometimes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Why his concerts sell out (although at Tanglewood, considering the audience, is that really all that hard to do? -- sorry if that offends anyone) I'll never know.

Yoga, I'm not offended, but I have been to concerts at Tanglewood, including the James Taylor/Carole King tour. Also saw Bob Dylan and Ray Charles there. Never noticed anything remarkably different about the Tanglewood audience from any other venue. I'm not sure what you mean by "considering the audience". Can you clarify?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Voices I hate - David Byrne; gutteral vocal stylings of many Thrash/Death Metal bands.

The one voice I hated but now enjoy is Geddy Lee.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

kate bush

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Why his concerts sell out (although at Tanglewood, considering the audience, is that really all that hard to do? -- sorry if that offends anyone) I'll never know. Yoga, I'm not offended, but I have been to concerts at Tanglewood, including the James Taylor/Carole King tour. Also saw Bob Dylan and Ray Charles there. Never noticed anything remarkably different about the Tanglewood audience from any other venue. I'm not sure what you mean by "considering the audience". Can you clarify?
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

DD- I've listened to many concerts at Wolfgang's Vault at Tanglewood (Santana, The Who) and they were excellent.  Sounds like the bands really got into it, maybe because it's such a beautiful spot.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Jim James - amazing in its dexterity and yet distinctive; a current top fave. Irritating (both voice and music): the singers for Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, Train, Dishwalla.... There's a video currently streaking through the web of the Cookie Monster "covering" Tom Waits' "God's Away On Vacation"...freeakin' hilarious and weirdly poignant....  Waits is definitely an acquired taste, but I find great solace and comfort in his voice...like it would be the last one I want to hear on my deathbed. Related note: I've noticed that some women, perhaps more on the younger side, have adopted a kind of tremor in their voice, like "r-r-r-r-r" that seems to end every utterance, as if their chin is pressed against their larynx.  It drives me bat-sh**; it seems at once local and everywhere... like the sad ghost of the equally ear-splitting 'brahmin' accent of yore. Anyone else know what I mean...??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    I had tears watching it ... so classic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Why his concerts sell out (although at Tanglewood, considering the audience, is that really all that hard to do? -- sorry if that offends anyone) I'll never know. Yoga, I'm not offended, but I have been to concerts at Tanglewood, including the James Taylor/Carole King tour. Also saw Bob Dylan and Ray Charles there. Never noticed anything remarkably different about the Tanglewood audience from any other venue. I'm not sure what you mean by "considering the audience". Can you clarify?
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    No problem, DD.  I should have said "venue" rather than audience.  My bad.
    By that I merely meant it's not as big as other venues under the shed, and I don't think selling out in the shed is all that tough to do when an artist has a date there in the summer.  The rest are lawn seats that are very well-priced, I think even free for kids accompanied by an adult. I've been to Tanglewood, love western MA in fact, and the audience is a fine crowd.   And again, my bad for saying audience.  Oops.  :)    Thanks.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

chad from nickelback. and scott stapp. and chris daughtry. and all of those guys who sound exactly the same.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]chad from nickelback. and scott stapp. and chris daughtry. and all of those guys who sound exactly the same.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Ahh...the Eddie Vedder clones...

...what I usually refer to as "Earnest" Rock...they always sound like they need either more fiber in their diets (or maybe more drugs?)....

Sections
Shortcuts