Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band

RUSH

But I would also give you

Supertramp

I loved the Grateful Dead, but can't listen to anything past 1979 when Brent Joined the band and started to sing and then Jerry's voice died and listening to him try to sing became intolerable.

Love Dylan, but can't take his stuff since his voice gave out ... he sounds awful

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band

Good topic.  Rush, I completely understand.  Geddy's voice is a drawback for me as well. (Alex Lifeson's guitar sound wears me out a bit too.)  I respect them a lot.  They produce good music and great lyrics.  But a singing voice you can't stand is hard to get past.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's not his voice I can't get past, but Bono certainly is the reason I gave up on U2 long ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Stevie Nicks

The girlfriend of Lindsey Buckingham, what more is there to say?  I haven't followed Fleetwood Mac or Nicks' solo career for a long time, as neither interest me.  The last cd I purchased was "The Dance" (it's decent) but it's not possible to listen to any of the songs where Nicks is featured, especially in sharp contrast to Christine McVie.  Too bad McVie was the one to leave the band, when it should have been Nicks (and too bad Nicks ever became a member of the band).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band:
    [QUOTE]Stevie Nicks The girlfriend of Lindsey Buckingham, what more is there to say?  I haven't followed Fleetwood Mac or Nicks' solo career for a long time, as neither interest me.  The last cd I purchased was "The Dance" (it's decent) but it's not possible to listen to any of the songs where Nicks is featured, especially in sharp contrast to Christine McVie.  Too bad McVie was the one to leave the band, when it should have been Nicks (and too bad Nicks ever became a member of the band).
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

agreed. remember the south park episode where a goat gets off a plane and everyone thinks it is stevie nicks?

i don't like colin's voice from the decemberists really...sounds pompous. again, maybe i havent given it enough of a shot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

Billy Corgan
    Brian Johnson
    Might even add Bruce Springsteen

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Darkness.  I tried...couldn't take it for more than 30 seconds.

Jet.  Plus, the music is just way too simplistic for my tastes.

Candlebox and Silverchair.  I sometimes confuse these two bands because they're so damm generic-sounding.  Never liked either one, and the voices were part of that.

Dishwalla - The singer is bad, yeah, but I just really hate their one unmentionable, unfortunate hit.

Matchbox 20 - might just be one of the most boring, cookie cutter bands around, and I don't know who told Rob Thomas he could sing.

Lastly...The Killers.  The music might have some redeemable qualities, but the singer's voice is just annoyingly saccharine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band : agreed. remember the south park episode where a goat gets off a plane and everyone thinks it is stevie nicks? i don't like colin's voice from the decemberists really...sounds pompous. again, maybe i havent given it enough of a shot.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    baahhhhh.  baaahhhhh.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]I love Rush.  Supertramp too. How bout any rapper, or does that even count?
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

well with the exception of the roots, rappers arent really part of bands. and the roots are awesome.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I'm not sure I'd like Rush even if they had a more palatable singer. There's no denying their ability on their instruments, but the lyrics and the arrangements leave me cold.

Sammy Hagar , along with increasingly wimpy arrangements, killed my interest in Van Halen.

And I agree with some of the other choices here. 

Steve Nicks grates. 

I can change the station in one note, when that one note is being sung by The Killers. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I love Rush.  Supertramp too. How bout any rapper, or does that even count?

Roger Hodgson has some impressive solo stuff, too...and usually plays all the instruments himself, I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Stevie Nicks
    Peter Wolf
    Anthony Kiedis

so many more

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band : Actually, I like Rick's stuff more than Rogers.  Asylum, for example

I bought Roger's "In The Eye Of The Storm" when it first came out after seeing the "Had A Dream..." video.

Rick Davies?  Can't say that I've heard any of it.  Is 'Asylum' a solo album by Rick...?  I'll have to dig it up....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Don't agree with anyone who mentioned Supertramp, Rush or Stevie Nicks. I like Nicks better than McVie, although I like them both and they contrast each other great in Fleetwood Mac. But everyone has their own tastes.

My choices:

U2 because of Bono.

The Police because of Sting.

Can't stand either of their voices.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band : Asylum is a Supertramp song, one of Rick's.  You can always tell.  Crime of the Century I believe.  The Paris live album too. Here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsJSjv7Rdw8&feature=fvsr

OK, gotcha...I was thinking post-"famous last words" output.  Actually, I don't think I've heard any of the music Supertramp made after Roger left.

Thanks for the link....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Ummm.... Bob Dylan?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Ummm.... Bob Dylan?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

My disdain for Dylan's voice is only recent, when he started to sound like an old Jewish man attempting to sing.  I revisit his older albums where I think he voice is perfect for his music.... His lyrics are still as sharp and profound as they ever were.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wide Spread Panic.  His voice sounds amatuer hour.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band : My disdain for Dylan's voice is only recent, when he started to sound like an old Jewish man attempting to sing. Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

what do you mean, started to sound like...that's what he is! zimmerman!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Voices that you couldn't get past; So you can't stand the band : what do you mean, started to sound like...that's what he is! zimmerman!
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I know, I'm not blaming him, but I find him hard on my ears now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I may attract some derision here, but I've always had a bit of a problem with Donna Godcheaux.

It's difficult, because the Dead played some of their very best sets with the Godcheauxs on stage, but I prefer those in which she is more of a backup singer than a lead.  Her voice coupled with an iffy-sounding bootleg can be a disaster of sonic proportions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Completely understand the whole Donna dislike thing... But I had no problem with her as a backup singer

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]The Darkness.  I tried...couldn't take it for more than 30 seconds. Jet.  Plus, the music is just way too simplistic for my tastes. Candlebox and Silverchair.  I sometimes confuse these two bands because they're so damm generic-sounding.  Never liked either one, and the voices were part of that. Dishwalla - The singer is bad, yeah, but I just really hate their one unmentionable, unfortunate hit. Matchbox 20 - might just be one of the most boring, cookie cutter bands around, and I don't know who told Rob Thomas he could sing. Lastly...The Killers.  The music might have some redeemable qualities, but the singer's voice is just annoyingly saccharine.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I love that Dishwalla song.

Michael Stipes' voice probably kept me from becoming an REM junkie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rikky. Show Rikky's posts

Ween sucks
    Don't like REO Speedwagon b/c of the singing (tho' the songs blow too)
    EMINEM sucks--like fingernails on a chalkboard that voice (not much of a rap fan anyway)
    Patti Smith can be annoying
    Connor Oberst (sp?) of Bright Eyes makes me want to barf
    Quiet Riot's singer was crap, ruining that band for me
    And don't get me started on that guy who sang for Accept--makes you want to puncture your eardrums

This is a fertile topic--I;m sure I can think of more w/some time.Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ween doesn't suck!