Wait a minute ... that's WHO? No, it can't be ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wait a minute ... that's WHO? No, it can't be ...

Had a moment like this?  You're either listening to a song for the first time, or worse,  you've been listening to it for a while; you're grooving to the song, you like the music and you're either:

Under the impression it's a particular band / artist that you know because the music / vocals are as familiar as that band / artist,  or;

You don't think it's a band that you necessarily know, you cannot ID the band, but at the same time, you have no idea that it's (GULP) a band that you don't respect / don't like / or think is very lame.

When you discover, at long last, who is responsible for the song, you're (hopefully) amused, but you're also mortified.   You know, just a little.  :0  

My example is the song "Home", sung by Philip Phillips.   Love the song and while not a huge fan of Mumford and Sons, I thought this song was a breakthrough for *me* because it caught my attention, I loved it, despite the fact it was (and continues to be) overplayed.   

Then one day, I discovered the song is credited to Philip Phillips -- who was the winner of the last American Idol crown.  Never watched AI, and had no knowledge of Phillips' voice.  Now was that any reason to stop liking the song?   Not at all; for all I know, Philip Phillips is deserving of a record contract and has a bright career ahead of him.    But just knowing he was the winner of American Idol made me question myself.  :)   

Stand up and admit you've had such a moment.    It's not so bad.   

NOTE: Feel free to give examples of songs that you thought were by a band you liked, that turned out to be by a different band, thereby developing into a musical intro and favorable discovery for you. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Wait a minute ... that's WHO? No, it can't be ...

This is a good topic and plays right into my hands. I don't have those moments because I've gotten over it. Nothing embarasses me. What you should question is judging music based on any other criteria than whether or not you like it. And realize that your personal taste does not have to coincide with some make believe artistic criteria. My opinion about music is almost meaningless to those who don't share it. I can't explain to anyone why Howlin' Wolf's music is great if they don't hear what I hear.

The lesson here about music is listen with your ears and drop all pretenses and prejudices. If you get a kick out of listening to "Convoy" (I do) then relax your mind and go with it. Here is one of my favorite songs by Elliott Yamin, who was a contestant on American Idol. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XimEfVCLv7o

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

This is a good topic and plays right into my hands. I don't have those moments because I've gotten over it. Nothing embarasses me. What you should question is judging music based on any other criteria than whether or not you like it. And realize that your personal taste does not have to coincide with some make believe artistic criteria. My opinion about music is almost meaningless to those who don't share it. I can't explain to anyone why Howlin' Wolf's music is great if they don't hear what I hear.The lesson here about music is listen with your ears and drop all pretenses and prejudices. If you get a kick out of listening to "Convoy" (I do) then relax your mind and go with it. Here is one of my favorite songs by Elliott Yamin, who was a contestant on American Idol. Enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XimEfVCLv7o 

It does play into your hands quite nicely, but please don't forget, I said the initial reaction should be one of amusement, first and foremost.   It should not be taken seriously; allow it to be an eye opener.   :)

In my example, I didn't know who was singing the song -- I mistook it for a known entity, and ran with it.  Didn't care, in fact I thought I'd discovered something about the group that was good.  It was uplifting.  

Many aspirants of AI, as well as the winners, have talent, and I have nothing against any of them -- it's more the reality-show based context that has taken its toll and created the negative response.  

I don't think this is as much a source of embarrassment, as it is, perhaps, going with the surprise and not turning back.  Either way, you're right on the money.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I cannot recall being very impressed by anything ever done by artists that I despise.

There are a few songs by artists who aren't favorites but usually the artists that I really dislike have earned that privledge by being consistantly bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Two songs I'm almost ashamed to admit to liking,because I despise the group/artist.The first is Foreigner's song "Starrider".I never liked Foreigner,and actually chose not to see them when I was offered front row seats for free at a concert in Springfield. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUqMRkwxkso

The second is John Cougar Mellencamp's song "I need a lover".I also can't stand JCM's music,but really dig  the intro to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMXjSithMs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Since it's been a day, I will now take the liberty to go slightly off topic. As you may or may not recall, I mixed up two artists I like very much: Lennon and McCartney. I still have a hard time believing McCartney screamed out Helter Skelter. I think what must have happened is that long ago I mixed them up when I was young (my parents play(ed) a lot of Beatles) and never discovered my mistake by checking credits. I think I've likely got them reversed on well over 70% of the songs each sings as a result....  But I am most certainly not ashamed of liking those songs....  so there's the off topic bit 

Actually, this is part of what I was driving at; therefore, it's not OT to me.

It's all part of the element of surprise, even if it's a case of utter mistaken identity, as is the case here.   But it also seems like your *perception* was radically altered -- you discovered that McCartney had more range than you thought he had, and that may now alter the way you think about him (in a good way) in general.    Might even make you more hyper aware when you listen to the Beatles.   

It was hard to articulate what I meant in the OP,  but it's more about the "up" side of the occasional case of mistaken identity, and how the discovery may shatter a perception and have a positive, eye-opening result.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yoga, I'm sorry my first post was not more in tune with what you wanted. But truly, it is hard for me to come up with one of those moments. I guess when you have fond memories of playing Archies records that you cut from the back of a cereal box it's hard to come up with one of those moments. This thread kind of indirectly struck on something I want to put in a new thread. I'm still trying to figure out how to best articulate it to get the desired responses. I know it's tough to do that.

This is a great idea for a thread; just wish I could have contributed something more in line with what you were looking for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

How many people over the years have heard Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar" wondering whether it was Waters or Gilmour (or Wright, less frequently) singing lead...

...when, in fact, it was neither...?  (A: Roy Harper)

Studios (of all kinds) are like soup kettles:  you don't always know what went into it; you can only guess based upon what came out of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Yoga, I'm sorry my first post was not more in tune with what you wanted. But truly, it is hard for me to come up with one of those moments. I guess when you have fond memories of playing Archies records that you cut from the back of a cereal box it's hard to come up with one of those moments. This thread kind of indirectly struck on something I want to put in a new thread. I'm still trying to figure out how to best articulate it to get the desired responses. I know it's tough to do that.  This is a great idea for a thread; just wish I could have contributed something more in line with what you were looking for. 

No problem, and thanks.  Your response made sense to me, and there really is no "right" answer to my scenario.    And yes, it is at times difficult to articulate a thought or position to draw out the desired responses.   No one would believe that posting in a music forum would have such challenges, but then again, seeing is believing: you have to post here and witness the collective depth of knowledge to understand.  The audience here is not what I'd call average ... ;-)

I await your next thread, and GL with it; you seem to be on a roll.  :)