Wednesday's "Who is this" - Put a name to this band

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wednesday's "Who is this" - Put a name to this band

If anyone gets this within the next 10 minutes, I will start drinking before noon.  :D
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Formed in the mid-west, this band has two pairs of brothers in their lineup.   They named their first band after the parent of a band mate.   Their inspiration was a cult, alt band.  Their first album was released on their own label.  Their second album was named album of the year by a midwestern newsrag.  They signed to a new label for their fourth album, a critical success.  They've collaborated with one of the favorite artists of a regular poster on the music forum.  Make that two, actually.  A good number of their songs have been included in major tv series' soundtracks, including one of my personal favorites, "House."  They've also used their talents to raise money for some worthy social / political causes.

Who is this band?

Bonus:  Who was the band that inspired them?

Bonus: Who are the two favorite artists this band collaborated with mentioned  above?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Wednesday's "Who is this" - Put a name to this band

I know the first answer and half of the third; the second is a best guess.

Waiting a bit before I pounce....

;^))

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"midwest"

...new zealand, greg...?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

if i'm not mistaken, the band's name is also used in the title of the first track on your latest post in the BBQ thread matty?

and if so, i know they had a song featuring win butler, which would also make sense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

you got it, ph...

I know the other collaborator's initials are "S.S."

Inspiration I'm guessing as either The Replacements or Jayhawks....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

okay, i know matty got it first, but i am going to submit the following

1. The National

2.  No clue

3.  a.) Win Butler (Arcade Fire) definitely
        b.) sufjan stevens (ALMOST positive)
                     -EDIT: matty confirmed with initials

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Wednesday's "Who is this" - Put a name to this band:
    okay, i know matty got it first, but i am going to submit the following
     1. The National
     2.  No clue
    3.  a.) Win Butler (Arcade Fire) definitely     b.) sufjan stevens (ALMOST positive)     -EDIT: matty confirmed with initials
    Posted by phsmith8

Wow, nice job.  But this seems to be my toughest one yet, so I didn't start drinking before noon.  :D

For 3: YES, on SS!  Yes, you're right about Arcade Fire, too.  But that's not the other artist I had in mind.

Poorly written maybe -- meant two favorite artists, two different regular posters.   SS for ph.  There's another one, for another poster.   Very, very prominent, and not obscure.  

FOR 2.  CLUE:  This band only lasted 10 years, and disbanded in 1999, and did a reunion tour in 2010.  Fascinatingly, the main influence of *this* band was a band that claimed that they were "ripped off" by them -- and *this* band was also influenced BY the Replacements.   Oh, and Robert Christgau rated them very highly (you might hate Christgau or think he's useless!  haha) but Christgau rated them the best band of the 1990's. 
    Obscure, but not impossible. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I dig the National

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

thanks for the sufjan shoutout! i love that guy's music.

is the other one the decemberists? i know matty and i think jkj dig them a lot.

and clue number 2 HAS to be.......pavement? i remember their reunion tour was a big deal in a lot of circles, and everyone who's "anyone" regards them with very high esteem

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yes, it's Pavement.

You're amazing.  I felt it was only fair to give clues -- and frankly, I don't mind admitting I'd never heard of Pavement, but it was an interesting fact about the National, and it was interesting that Matty almost got it with the Replacements, since it was an influence "once removed" , like a relative.  

Nope on the Decemberists.  Much more mainstream.  Really, really prominent. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it was the only band that made sense for the clues, at least in my mind...

thanks, but i put myself a few good rungs below most of you in terms of amazingness :)

matty blows my mind with his ability to reach into the recesses of his brain like that.  i only get these clues when i have at least something to go on and i think about it for a while, but it seems like he just knows it immediately.

i'm stumped on the last part though. touche!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The National has done lots of collaborations, I just latched onto the two that I did b/c of the added twist of being favorites of forum members. 

I just realized I goofed on the other one, actually.  SORRY.  Slightly different twist. 

It should read:

The other artist recorded on a compilation project, among other artists including the National.  The project benefited an AIDS organization.   It was through a third party, whereas Sufjan made a contribution on one of the Nationals' actual albums.  Pardon my inaccurate description of the collaboration.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

@ph - my sis-in-law got me Boxer for xmas a couple years ago, and i've heard "start a war" on several shows including two of my wife's faves, House and Brothers & Sisters. 

That's how i knew...that and the fact that I don't have much of a social life.  :P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"House" has awesome music, and an awesome lead actor.  Hugh Laurie is irresistable (on all counts), as is his character. Theme music for "House" is outstanding, too.   "Start a War" was also on two of my other favorite shows, "Parenthood" and the insurpassable (and sadly going off the air) "Friday Night Lights"  (the show literally takes my breath away).

The last artist was David Byrne -- he was on a compilation project with the National, SS, and a bunch of other notables.  He seemed to be a red herring among the others, but there you go. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Wednesday's "Who is this" - Put a name to this band:
    "House" has awesome music, and an awesome lead actor.  Hugh Laurie is irresistable (on all counts), as is his character. Theme music for "House" is outstanding, too.   "Start a War" was also on two of my other favorite shows, "Parenthood" and the insurpassable (and sadly going off the air) "Friday Night Lights"  (the show literally takes my breath away). The last artist was David Byrne -- he was on a compilation project with the National, SS, and a bunch of other notables.  He seemed to be a red herring among the others, but there you go. 
    Posted by yogafriend

Massive Attack's "Teardrop" - a positively stellar track for a show with perhaps the best, most eclectic use of music this side of premium cable.

Ahhh...the heady days of trip-hop....

Sections
Shortcuts