What Album is your security blanket

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What Album is your security blanket

You can only name one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: What Album is your security blanket

Tough call, since I consider the question to essentially be a once-choice 'desert island' disc

But I'll go with an obvious choice:

The Grateful Dead - The Closing Of Winterland

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

OK Computer - Radiohead

the album that made me listen to other music than the beatles, and opened up my musical world

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't think it is a stranded on an island kind of choice.

I will rephrase - what one album do you find yourself going to for not only enjoyment, but also as a touchstone when life runs through its valleys and peaks. Obviously we can put a hundred albums on the list, but there is most likely one album which you graviate to without even realizing.

For me, it is Queen II

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Right.  Again, a tough call, because the albums I like most have an inherent diversity yet a definite theme...i.e., I have my mopey, sad ba*tard albums and my aggro, rebellious ones and plenty in between...so, on that scale, I would probably have to say:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

...which for me best encompasses both the galactic absurdity of the human condition and the aching beauty which we are so capable of creating (and destroying) in spite of ourselves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The tough part about this is that just about all of my favorite albums were recorded in the period of 1966 to 1976.  So to be still using one of those as my security blanket makes me feel old.  Here is the one I am going with.  It's the album released since 1995 that I have listened to the most.  It's Beatle-esque and it's by a Canadian band.  So I think it works perfectly for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I know this will come as a shock, but "London Calling."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

The People United Will Never Be Defeated!

Composer - Fredric Rzewski
    Performer - Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano

The title piece, a set of 36 variations on a Chilean protest song, at once pays homage to the great variations of the past (by Bach and Beethoven) and speaks in a contemporary and socially relevant context; the performance is of mind-boggling brilliance.  Anyone with even the remotest interest in modern classical music needs to know this work.  If you read music, check out the youtube downloads (7 in all) that feature the printed score paging along with the performance.  Even better, see it played live (the work's dedicatee, Ursula Oppens, played it last month in Boston but I was out of the country).

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: What Album is your security blanket:
    [QUOTE]The People United Will Never Be Defeated! Composer - Fredric Rzewski Performer - Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano The title piece, a set of 36 variations on a Chilean protest song, at once pays homage to the great variations of the past (by Bach and Beethoven) and speaks in a contemporary and socially relevant context; the performance is of mind-boggling brilliance.  Anyone with even the remotest interest in modern classical music needs to know this work.  If you read music, check out the youtube downloads (7 in all) that feature the printed score paging along with the performance.  Even better, see it played live (the work's dedicatee, Ursula Oppens, played it last month in Boston but I was out of the country).
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]Thanks so much, gerbs.  I went over to youtube to see what you were referring to, and will check it out this afternoon.  As it was on the same page, in the meantime (like now) I am listening to a piece with Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden playing (a spanish love song) and its awesome.  I know little about Pat Metheny, now I see what I might be missing.  Again, thanks for the recommendation for inspired modern classical music.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is a pretty tough call, but the one that never, ever, lets me down is  this one:

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In recent years, I've  changed my "go to - security blanket" music paradigm.  I no longer have that one album I reach for as I did for many years.  I now reach for my newest (and that's not necessarily current in the sense that it's an album that's a recent release) music.  Right now, that's Explosions in the Sky.

In the past?  "The Book of Secrets" (Loreena McKennitt).

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]the galactic absurdity of the human condition and the aching beauty which we are so capable of creating (and destroying) in spite of ourselves. - Matty THAT, is F'ing gorgeous. WOW
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Kind Thanks.  Please feel free to use it as you will.

(...auditioning for my second career as a penniless wordsmith...know any musicians who need lyrics?  :P) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

If I Should Fall From Grace with God .....The Pogues

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah matty that's some nice phraseology there. kudos as usual

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm really not sure I have one of these.

I'll have to get back to you on this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Album is your security blanket : "aching beauty", fcking BRILLIANT.  God damn, Mr Waters would dig that. I teach at Berklee, it WILL come up. If I turn it into a song, and make any money, I'll contact you.  ON MY KIDS! I swear to God man, "aching beauty", is the most eloqueunt, description of Roger's work (all) Exquisite I am sitting at at the piano, playing, "I got a little black book, with me poems, in..."
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

No worries...just put my name in the liner notes...that would be sweeeeet.  :))

(Quite incidentally, I once wrote an essay in which I referred to The Wall and Waters' "cathartic blanket", i.e. his tendency to wrap his music (psyche?) with the most difficult feelings in order to intensify the eventual bit of uplift or whimsy.  In creative terms, it's almost compulsive, but not pure cynicism, IMO.

Not nearly as catchy a term, though....)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Album is your security blanket : No worries...just put my name in the liner notes...that would be sweeeeet.  :)) (Quite incidentally, I once wrote an essay in which I referred to The Wall and Waters' "cathartic blanket", i.e. his tendency to wrap his music (psyche?) with the most difficult feelings in order to intensify the eventual bit of uplift or whimsy.  In creative terms, it's almost compulsive, but not pure cynicism, IMO. Not nearly as catchy a term, though....)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

agreed. it's all about the dynamics, musical and emotional (oftentimes very much related).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Quadrophenia by The Who and Genesis Seconds Out for some reason have always been enjoyable since I first started listening to them 30 years ago (yikes)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Grateful Dead -- Dicks Picks Volume 3- Disc 2, Volume 16, Disc 2

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Bruce - Darkness

Sections
Shortcuts