What Are The Last/Recent Albums You Gave To Someone as Gifts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What Are The Last/Recent Albums You Gave To Someone as Gifts?

To me, one of the greatest things about being a dedicated music fan is the ability and desire to share that music with others - especially loved ones or people who you think could appreciate what they're given.

I send mix CDs and albums to people all the time (and moreso during the holidays) and most are well-appreciated.  This year, I sent "Let Me Come Over" (Buffalo Tom) and Wilco's "Being There" to my sister-in-law.  I gave one buddy AC/DC's live "If You Want Blood..." and another VU's "Loaded" (deluxe edition).  My annual New Year's mix disc (The Band, Talk Talk, Kopecky Family Band, etc.) went out to about 20 friends and family.  And for my phish-loving niece, I gave Dispatch's live "Get The Van"

For my wife at Xmas, I gave her two Zac Brown Band discs, a Love & Rockets compilation, and a live bootleg of Tom Morello (she has unique tastes), among others.

So, which albums were worthy enough for you to give to others?  (My wife usually tells me what she wants, and I glean the rest.)  Did you get any feedback from the recips, good or bad...?  How did you decide what to give and to whom?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Re: What Are The Last/Recent Albums You Gave To Someone as Gifts?

I ended up with two copies of Wish You Were Here and gave one copy to my wife. It wasn't really given as a gift, more that I had two and knew she liked it so I gave the extra one to her.

I'll often give recommendations to friends of albums I've listened to recently that they might like.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Got my wife Maroon 5, Overexposed about a year ago.  A few weeks before I took her to the concert at Izod Center.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I had a very austere holiday (not as bad as it sounds), and I don't have the ability to make mix CDs, or that would have been a nice option to suit the aura of austerity.  :)    Future possible CDs would be either Phosphorescent (Muchacho), or Sara Bareilles' latest, or Massive Attack.   I'd also consider giving a song book for piano or guitar, since I have two nieces who are taking lessons. 

Thought I'd share what I did give, however, as they were in alignment with some of the symbolism I love, that being: the green /recycling motif, and original industrial usable and sustainable art.  :)    All that, and best of all, found them on a whim, completely unplanned and unexpected, bought spontaneously, with a price that fit my austerity program.   Found them in a jewelry / weareable art gallery (I can afford very little in this place, but it's like going into another world); this gallery never disappoints. 

Key rings made out of old construction signs.   They were made by a metal artist, who makes all of his art out of old signage that would end up in a landfill or dump otherwise.   There are no two alike, and they are the coolest little 'artifacts' of usable art you'd ever want to carry with you.  The artist makes jewelry too (pins and cufflinks), trays, and even chairs (those items are mega-expensive), and all manner of clever objects.   

This is what the key rings look like.   They look very polished, but in reality, they all have scratches on them, some very much so, esp. on the back.   They're all stamped with the artist's stamp / name on the back.   His name is Boris Bally, FYI.    

So if you see someone with a lime green VW key fob, and one of the key rings you see below with a yellow background, (and a metal daisy charm, too)  then you are looking right at me.   :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

FYI on Boris Bally: 

Boris' work is a disciplined body of objects which vary from eccentric through formal to humorous; provoking thought and reflecting some of the distortions of our ordered world. His practice is a near transparent amalgam of the skills of an able industrial designer, a gifted craftsperson, a savvy business man, a discriminating sculptor, and a clever cultural critic. Bally is a working artist - someone who has integrated their studio practice, their means of monetary support, and his family into a seamless (sleepless?) lifestyle that is puncutated by the dissected remains of streetsigns.        

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

FYI on Boris Bally: 

Boris' work is a disciplined body of objects which vary from eccentric through formal to humorous; provoking thought and reflecting some of the distortions of our ordered world. His practice is a near transparent amalgam of the skills of an able industrial designer, a gifted craftsperson, a savvy business man, a discriminating sculptor, and a clever cultural critic. Bally is a working artist - someone who has integrated their studio practice, their means of monetary support, and his family into a seamless (sleepless?) lifestyle that is puncutated by the dissected remains of streetsigns.        

I've seen works like these; it's a whole separate class of artisanry at this point (my sister curates/runs an art gallery/shop).

One of my favorites was clear, spherical xmas ornaments which were filled with metal turnings from the discarded oxygen canisters left on the trails of mt. everest - made by a maine artist, Jeff Clapp. (true story)  Link:

http://www.bellsfromeverest.com/

(I have two and have given these as gifts, too...in keeping with the thread. :))  )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Bonamassa: Live at the Beacon, NY '12 (to 2 people); Bonamassa, Blues Deluxe (to 1 person).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

To me, one of the greatest things about being a dedicated music fan is the ability and desire to share that music with others - especially loved ones or people who you think could appreciate what they're given.

I send mix CDs and albums to people all the time (and moreso during the holidays) and most are well-appreciated.  This year, I sent "Let Me Come Over" (Buffalo Tom) and Wilco's "Being There" to my sister-in-law.  I gave one buddy AC/DC's live "If You Want Blood..." and another VU's "Loaded" (deluxe edition).  My annual New Year's mix disc (The Band, Talk Talk, Kopecky Family Band, etc.) went out to about 20 friends and family.  And for my phish-loving niece, I gave Dispatch's live "Get The Van"

For my wife at Xmas, I gave her two Zac Brown Band discs, a Love & Rockets compilation, and a live bootleg of Tom Morello (she has unique tastes), among others.

So, which albums were worthy enough for you to give to others?  (My wife usually tells me what she wants, and I glean the rest.)  Did you get any feedback from the recips, good or bad...?  How did you decide what to give and to whom?

Hi Matty.  Virtually every record I buy is from friends' recommendations or after seeing a band live.  I never listen to the radio, and don't think I've ever bought a record after reading a review (has anyone?).

I'm obsessed with music as are most of my friends so we all give each other records as presents.  I often give people records from my label, but otherwise will give people my obsession of the week/month/quarter.  It's been "Dig Thy Savage Soul" by Barrence Whitfield and the Savages recently.  IMO, the best record of 2013....have probably gifted 4-5 LPs since September.

Sections
Shortcuts