What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?

Decades ago, I had a neutral opinion about The Rolling Stones, but over time I really started to like most (not all) of their music.  A lot of their songs have to do with basic thoughts and feelings about life.  "The nitty gritty".  Some songs, they come across with a powerful sound ("Satisfaction") and other songs they used their British hillbilly rock and roll blues style ("Dead Flowers").  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Nirvan... at the time I felt they were jammed down the publics throats as something new. Years later I appreciate everythign they did and see their true talent

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?:
    [QUOTE]Bands that grew over time for me were: 1. Led Zeppelin: I started moving on to album rock stations when I was around 15-16 ('79-'80), so going from '70s pop and disco to a band like Zeppelin was a huge leap. But as my music tastes matured and started learning more about the evalution of rock, especially its blues roots, I started to appreciate and enjoy blues. The more I heard, Zeppelin, the more I liked them until they moved up among my top five bands. 2. Lynyrd Skynyrd: I wasn't real big on Skynyrd or Southern Rock at first, but over time, both became favorites -- Skynyrd especially, as I don't like all Southern Rock bands, but I do enjoy a lot of it now. 3. Rush: For some reason, I never really liked Rush when I was in high school. But without me knowing it, it reached a point when a Rush song came on the radio and instead of changing it or ignoring it, I though, "Cool -- Rush." And I'd crank it up.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I concur regarding Rush. It took me a while to finally appreciate them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ratatat. instrumental band, but completely mindblowing.

to quote the 80's guy from that futurama episode:
    "awesome...awesome to the max."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

OK, hear me out before I'm condemned...Dave Matthews Band 

When I first saw them at HORDE in the early 90s, they were just kind of goofy; dave was barefoot, and their fiddle player was apprently Rick James' younger brother.  I heard them more as they got popular but for every song that was OK, there was another that I didn't like.

Then I heard the Luther College disc with virtuoso Tim Reynolds and a bunch of songs that were unreleased - much better live/acoustic.  Then I saw a couple more shows (as my dear wife became hooked beyond all reason) and started to see the talent inherent in the band.  They're all very good musicians in their own right, especially Carter and LeRoi, who have hitched their wagons to this clownish, horn-pout stoner dude (Dave) who writes a lot of strange, weirdo lyrics (mostly about sex).  Even stranger, the shows keep attracting younger fans (mostly hot and female, but plenty of man-slaves too...u know who u are...).

Now, I count myself a fan, albeit a critical fan.  They definitely have their moments on stage; like a good jazz band, when they're peaking, they're unbelievable.  I also understand how folks can obsess, because like the Dead or Phish, part of the fun is searching for those golden moments among their live stuff when they've really clicked and become better than the sum.  Combined with some killer guest artists like Warren Haynes, Bela Fleck, Tim, Trey, etc., they can be a really fun groove, and unlike some artists I can mention, I can't say that I ever walked out of a DMB show feeling unsatisfied.  There's a reason why they end up as one of the top touring acts year after year, and it's not because the music is bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i could go either way. their live shows have their moments but i wouldnt pay 65 bucks to go. i have caught them twice in the past, with girlfriends. fell asleep once and got super baked and didnt pay attention the second time. they jam out their songs for way too long.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

RE: DMB

Their popularity is astonishing to me on one level, and understandable on another.  No condemning, although I voiced my dislike for DM's voice in the "voices you can't get past" thread.   They "fuse", and maybe I don't like the way they fuse, or I don't get the way they fuse.  :)    

"Even stranger, the shows keep attracting younger fans (mostly hot and female, but plenty of man-slaves too...u know who u are...)."

And this is another thing, they do attract LOADS of female fans, and that escapes me, too.  Tried to listen to them a bunch of times, but nothing clicked.  I can see how Bela Fleck would be a perfect complement to DMB, but not a big fan of them either!  (although I'll bet they attract die hard fans who love them and their concerts are probably love fests).  

But you know, sometimes there's no explaining these likes and dislikes.  If it doesn't work for you, with so much great music in this world, you just move on to something that does work.  No reason to give it a second thought unless someone offers you a free ticket!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?:
    [QUOTE]RE: DMB Their popularity is astonishing to me on one level, and understandable on another.  No condemning, although I voiced my dislike for DM's voice in the "voices you can't get past" thread.   They "fuse", and maybe I don't like the way they fuse, or I don't get the way they fuse.  :)      "Even stranger, the shows keep attracting younger fans (mostly hot and female, but plenty of man-slaves too...u know who u are...)." And this is another thing, they do attract LOADS of female fans, and that escapes me, too.  Tried to listen to them a bunch of times, but nothing clicked.  I can see how Bela Fleck would be a perfect complement to DMB, but not a big fan of them either!  (although I'll bet they attract die hard fans who love them and their concerts are probably love fests).   But you know, sometimes there's no explaining these likes and dislikes.  If it doesn't work for you, with so much great music in this world, you just move on to something that does work.  No reason to give it a second thought unless someone offers you a free ticket!  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear ya.  I mean, I've been to a dozen DMB shows and even I can't explain how popular they've become or their demographic.

My best guess is, as I said before, Dave's lyrics are almost always about sex, so maybe it's some kind of subliminal romance novel thing for women.  For me, it's always been about the jamming (and my wife's adoration), so again, it's lost on me.

@Greg - gotta love Tears For Fears - one of the more underappreciated 80s bands, IMO, and STSOL might be the best 60s album never made in the 60s.