What Bands Broke Up too Soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What Bands Broke Up too Soon

We were talking about consistency of bands that have been around awhile and I was wondering what bands you feel broke up way too soon. I am not going to mention the Beatles because they did have a great 7 year recording run. For me, the bands that I really would have liked to see record a little longer together were:

Cream and Mountain.

I think both these bands could have done so much more. What bands would you say?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon

Given what we know now, it might have been interesting to see bands like Blind Faith or Buffalo Springfield or The Faces develop more as units, but then you have to consider what we might have lost in the way of solo work and various other projects.

It's a slippery slope.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

P-Mike - agreed. The break-up of Cream and Mountain did wind up leading to West, Bruce and Laing which I thought was a great combination.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I guess we can't really begrudge some of those early bands that we now think of as "supergroups" spreading their artistic wings and moving on to become, individually and in various other incarnations, what they all became. Look at it this way: Would you prefer more and better Yardbirds at the expense of a Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page?

Maybe. Maybe not . . .  but I tend to suspect that the listener wins either way.

A good example of a band that broke up to soon and didn't go on to justify that decision -- in my opinion -- is The Police.

I find it deliciously ironic that The Police -- which, ultimately, could not contain Gordon Sumner's grand vision for himself -- had their biggest success with Synchronicity . . .  a quality they had musically, but not personally. The more I think about it, maybe ol' Sting was just a little too clever for his own good after all.

Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Wonders

sorry, it was there and I couldn't resist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Free. There is no doubt in my mind that Paul Kossoff would be a guitar legend if this band had continued into the late 70's.

I think Dire Straits also leaves behind an incomplete legacy.

Boston also come to mind , they could have really expanded on the early model if not for legal squabbles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon:
    [QUOTE]The Wonders sorry, it was there and I couldn't resist.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

"Careful girls, he's engaged!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Guns and Roses

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]The Wonders sorry, it was there and I couldn't resist.

They used to be the Oh-nee-ders, right?

I'll throw out the Stone Roses from the late 80s. Two albums, I think it was, and gone. Fantastic sound.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

Husker Du - if Grant and Bob could have worked out their differences they would have been around for when alternative got huge.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Clash... It's a moot subject now.

I would have liked to have been able to see what would have developed with The Doors, Joy Division, and Nirvana had circumstances been different

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]The Clash... It's a moot subject now. I would have liked to have been able to see what would have developed with The Doors, Joy Division, and Nirvana had circumstances been different

nirvana is interesting, because i love the foo fighters and i'm sure that at some point dave grohl would have made the first foo fighters album as a side project anyway...juicy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

the smiths
    the jam
    the housemartins

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

We did get a good 5 years out of The Jam. I will never understand why this band doesn't get the credit they so richly deserve.

With Joy Division, I was never ready to attach the label genius to Ian Curtis. I think New Order showed us where JD would have wound up. Bands like JD, Doors, Nirvana, etc. which ended because of death always saddens me a little. But then I wonder how we would have looked at those bands if there hadn't been the tragedy surrounding them.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Eventually all threads dissolve into a scene from High Fidelity.

Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?

Me, I'm fascinated by the slow fade.  There's still some great stuff to be mined in that. I would've loved a couple more J. Geils records on the heels of that out-of-character 'Centerfold'. Might've hated them, as I did most of 'Centerfold', but I bet there would've been a couple of nuggets too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I think Ian Curtis would have to stuck to his style and writing and not gotten more into the synthesizer, technoish style of new order. I don't know that obvioulsy but just thinking out loud. I like both groupd but Joy Divison is way ahead of New order as far as my music taste goes...

I agree that the Jam never go their just due.. Not many better base players in his time than Bruce Foxton

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE] I would've loved a couple more J. Geils records on the heels of that out-of-character 'Centerfold'. Might've hated them, as I did most of 'Centerfold', but I bet there would've been a couple of nuggets too.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

I guess this is what people mean when they talk about bands "selling out." That the J Geils Band had to resort to music that I, personally, found virtually unlistenable to garner the radio airplay -- read: mainstream popularity (or, even better, money) -- that had eluded them to that point, probably says more about me than it does about them. It's interesting to me that some artists can pull off the "chameleon" persona and be labeled artistically versatile -- David Bowie comes to mind -- while others who stray from their fans' vision of them (like Mettalica) are accused of "selling out."

And then, of course, there's Madonna . . .

But that is another story for another time (and another thread).

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

LW - very possible although I am not sure exactly how J.D. as an entity dealt with musical progression within the band.

Slim - are they really latter day sins? Can we expect songwriters to maintain as they go from their 20's to their 40's and 50's? And what about us as listeners? I have to admit that part of my musical ear hasn't matured as I have aged.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Peter is still going strong. I don't know him, but I see him at all the smaller Cambridge clubs I hang out at at least every 2-3 months.  And if  someone like his pal Dennis is playing, then there's a fair chance he'll get up himself and do a tune.

But that's not the same thing as the syenergy -and the tension - the entire band had, especially between Peter and Seth.

That commercial Centerfold pap was all Seth.  If Peter decided to fight rather than walk away, the compromises might've made for some interesting stuff.   We'll never know, even if they put out another record now.  They're older, and the tensions - a key part of the whole creative process - don't appear to be there anymore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]Slim - are they really latter day sins? Can we expect songwriters to maintain as they go from their 20's to their 40's and 50's? And what about us as listeners? I have to admit that part of my musical ear hasn't matured as I have aged.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I wasn't all that clear in my post, probably because it's not clear what I want to say even now.  Creative decline is inevitable, so no, can't expect great stuff forever.  And I don't consider it a sin to keep trying. 

I was circling around the point you brought up.  If some of these acts that were cut short by premature deaths,  did stick around we certainly would have looked at them differently. 

If Elvis kicked the buck right after those first Sun Sessions, he would've been God.  Yes, some think that anyway,  but more remember the Fat Vegas period, and not fondly.

I wonder exactly where Janis Joplin would have went,  I think she was a bit limited actually.  I know Hendrix was fretting about his next move around the time he bought the farm.  Ditto for Cobain. 

To me, only Hendrix among the examples I rattled off, had the chops to keep growing.The others we would have lot less of if they kept on going.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The thing that I like about Hendrix is that he wanted to sit with other musicians and see where it went. He did his thing with Buddy Miles and as I mentioned a while back, everything I have read and heard does cause me to believe that he was ready to sit down with Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer who were basically Jimi's equal on their respective instruments. I think that would have been some serious noise.

I agree with you with Janis, there is only so far that a pure blues singer can go and I don't know that she had the chops to move in a different direction.

Thinking on death and how that changed so many bands and surviving artists, this thread does explain the respect that I have for Dave Grohl. Jerry Cantrell is an amazing musician but never seemed to get past the death of Layce. I would never have guessed Grohl doing what he has done after Cobain's death. Grohl gets makor kudo's from me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If we're talking about specific lineups of bands:

Jeff Beck's band with Rod Stewart (2 albums Truth and Beck-ola)
    Alice Cooper original lineup (last album Muscle of Love)