What Bands Broke Up too Soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon

There are a lot of bands who stayed around too long and hurt their legacy.  The older and more successful one gets, the easier it must get to phone in the material and pump out dribble.  Case and point Rolling Stones and U2,  Both bands put out new albums every couple of years (they may contain a song that has potential) but they just don't reach the level that they achieved in their heyday.  Some times it's best to leave the audience wanting more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

How about;

The Police

The Sex Pistols

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Of course a lot of bands have split because of 'artistic differences'...usually meaning the members couldn't stand the sight of each other any more.  I think The Police were in that category.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Band

Pixies

Velvet Underground

Modern Lovers

Talking Heads

Television

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon:
    [QUOTE]The thing that I like about Hendrix is that he wanted to sit with other musicians and see where it went. He did his thing with Buddy Miles and as I mentioned a while back, everything I have read and heard does cause me to believe that he was ready to sit down with Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer who were basically Jimi's equal on their respective instruments. I think that would have been some serious noise. I agree with you with Janis, there is only so far that a pure blues singer can go and I don't know that she had the chops to move in a different direction. Thinking on death and how that changed so many bands and surviving artists, this thread does explain the respect that I have for Dave Grohl. Jerry Cantrell is an amazing musician but never seemed to get past the death of Layce. I would never have guessed Grohl doing what he has done after Cobain's death. Grohl gets makor kudo's from me.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree about Janis...given the folk rock artists and singer-songwriters of the 70s, if she had kept her addictions under control, she may have emerged as a more bluesy version of Joni Mitchell or Carole King or even gone country.   That much raw talent is hard to keep down.  Same goes for Jim Morrison, but then, perhaps their mystique would have suffered, so who really knows...??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I would have liked to see the Neighborhoods put out another Atlantic release.

No point in mentioning people who died at an early age.  There's just so many you could list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree Matty, but I don't think she would have gone to a level that would have surpassed where she was already at.

And we don't want to discuss Morrison. Cool

There was a line from the movie "Almost Famous" where Philip Hoffman Seymour who was playing Lester Bangs said - 

" The Doors? Jim Morrison? He's a drunken buffoon posing as a poet. Ah, give me the Guess Who. They got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic. Give me some White Light/White Heat. Iggy Pop! Amen! Put this on!"

I always loved that line and believe it to be true to some extent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Squeeze was pumping so great pop music during the early '80s and they broke up.  They did get back together many years later but their work lacked what it had had earlier

I would have liked to see what Sublime would have produced had they been given more time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I agree Matty, but I don't think she would have gone to a level that would have surpassed where she was already at. And we don't want to discuss Morrison. There was a line from the movie "Almost Famous" where Philip Hoffman Seymour who was playing Lester Bangs said -  " The Doors ? Jim Morrison? He's a drunken buffoon posing as a poet. Ah, give me the Guess Who. They got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic. Give me some White Light/White Heat. Iggy Pop! Amen! Put this on!" I always loved that line and believe it to be true to some extent.

I love that line!!  [Add the Guess Who to this list.  Burton Cummings had one of the great voices in rock history and, again, a great band behind him.]

I'm 50/50 on The Doors.  True, they were three great musicians and a "poet" of dubious merit, but it could be argued that the other 3 needed a frontman like Morrison to be heard.  It's simply a matter of synergy, and the fact that they weren't able to continue as a unit after Jim died speaks somewhat to that point. But as I said, we'll never really know.

Would the Stones have lasted so long and been so prolific if Brian Jones hadn't died?  For all we know, they might have succumbed to infighting split up like the Beatles; Ron Wood would never have left The Faces, etc., etc....

Never underestimate mystique when it comes to art.  Van Gogh was an undeniable historical proof-of-concept.

(P.S.  I've also read a lot of Bangs.  His style was intentionally reactive, and he liked to push people's buttons.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I've been on this board a long time I guess, and have a memory like a trap door, or get a lot out of our discussions ... but in any event, I remembered we had a thread about over-rated acts and I  posted on Janis Joplin, whom I think is a bit of over-rated nothingness. 

I just copied this review from the post I had in that thread.  There was nothing there in the first place, and while it was a shame her life ended as it did at her age, we didn't' miss out on anything music-wise.  Sorry jkj, as I know you loved her, but it is what it is:

"What exactly did Janis Joplin ever do? How exactly did she come to be hailed as the pinnacle of sixties music? It's incomprehensible. Joplin did her best work with Big Brother and the Holding Company and then went solo, covered a good Kris Kristofferson song, sang a poem a capella, drank more whiskey than a high school football team in Alabama and died. That's it. She never did anything more than that. Other than running around half-naked in San Francisco with a bottle of Jack Daniels in her hand and screaming about this that and the other thing, her whole career fits into one sentence. Yet somehow, she's held in similar regard to Jimi Hendrix, CSNY, and other legendary acts of the sixties. It's unreal. Her career was a blip at best. Joplin would be inconsequential if it weren't for her becoming so massively overrated over time. Most cases of overratedness can be explained, but aside from her dying young, this is a complete mystery. Making her the most overrated solo artist of all time."
    End of review.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Despite the sentiments on another thread about getting older and better, I think most musical artist's greatest accomplishments happen in their youth. This is a time in their life when they are more driven by emotion and ambition and out to prove themselves. I find that most bands break up just as their creative energy is dissipating. And the bands that stay together rarely scale the same heights they did in their younger days. Yes, there are some exceptions to the rule, but I think they are very rare.

I know it's fun to speculate on what could have been, but I think it only really applies to those who died far too young and had more of their prime years ahead of them. I think most bands break up because they hit a creative roadblock, have nothing more to say, nothing more to prove, and the band members no longer enjoy each other's company.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You get a littlle bit older, you get a lot less bolder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Beatles broke up too soon, but everyone knows that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : I love that line!!  [Add the Guess Who to this list.  Burton Cummings had one of the great voices in rock history and, again, a great band behind him.] I'm 50/50 on The Doors.  True, they were three great musicians and a "poet" of dubious merit, but it could be argued that the other 3 needed a frontman like Morrison to be heard.  It's simply a matter of synergy, and the fact that they weren't able to continue as a unit after Jim died speaks somewhat to that point. But as I said, we'll never really know. Would the Stones have lasted so long and been so prolific if Brian Jones hadn't died?  For all we know, they might have succumbed to infighting split up like the Beatles; Ron Wood would never have left The Faces, etc., etc.... Never underestimate mystique when it comes to art.  Van Gogh was an undeniable historical proof-of-concept. (P.S.  I've also read a lot of Bangs.  His style was intentionally reactive, and he liked to push people's buttons.)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

the doors, i really don't think jim morrison was all that he was cracked up to be. though he was cracked up. the rest of them deserve credit, but i never really got into them. that organ just creeps up my spine sometimes.

re: brian jones, i recently read the keith richards autobiography and according to him he had either just been kicked out or was in the process of being replaced...richards says that he was increasingly becoming less of a part of the band, not even playing guitar on record and missing shows.

janis gets so much respect IMHO because of the cultural movement she embodied...i think. timing is everything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I want to read that book by Richard.  I'm fairly certain Jones was already kicked out of the stones when he died. 

Besides the fact he was bringing less and less to the band, it also seems the rest of the band just didn't like him.  From what I ever read from Richards, Richards seem to hate the guy.

I think the Doors were already starting to run out of gas.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Guy is correct. Brian was basically already out of the band by the time of Brian's death.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Mott the Hoople broke up too soon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

guy takes the credit! thats what i get for being the last post on the 2nd page

guy, i really recommend that book. it's like he's talking to you in person, sharing a joint

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]I've been on this board a long time I guess, and have a memory like a trap door, or get a lot out of our discussions ... but in any event, I remembered we had a thread about over-rated acts and I  posted on Janis Joplin, whom I think is a bit of over-rated nothingness.  I just copied this review from the post I had in that thread.  There was nothing there in the first place, and while it was a shame her life ended as it did at her age, we didn't' miss out on anything music-wise.  Sorry jkj, as I know you loved her, but it is what it is: "What exactly did Janis Joplin ever do? How exactly did she come to be hailed as the pinnacle of sixties music? It's incomprehensible. Joplin did her best work with Big Brother and the Holding Company and then went solo, covered a good Kris Kristofferson song, sang a poem a capella, drank more whiskey than a high school football team in Alabama and died. That's it. She never did anything more than that. Other than running around half-naked in San Francisco with a bottle of Jack Daniels in her hand and screaming about this that and the other thing, her whole career fits into one sentence. Yet somehow, she's held in similar regard to Jimi Hendrix , CSNY , and other legendary acts of the sixties. It's unreal. Her career was a blip at best. Joplin would be inconsequential if it weren't for her becoming so massively overrated over time. Most cases of overratedness can be explained, but aside from her dying young, this is a complete mystery. Making her the most overrated solo artist of all time." End of review.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t call her the most over rated artist of all time.  I suppose she paved the way for women in rock and roll, somewhat.  The thing with statement like that though, I always feel that if such and such a person didn’t exist, someone else would have stepped up to the plate.

Joplin was very a very emotional singer and she had a fairly powerful voice.  I know some people just look at her and scratch their head wondering what people see in her.  There’s no way to know if you missed out on anything music wise.  I’m guessing Columbia would have teamed her with some songwriters and maybe, and it’s a big maybe, a classic album could have come out of it.

The problem with people like Joplin is she was constantly playing with death.  If she didn’t die in 70 there were going to me many more opts for her.  Heroin addicts rarely pull out of it so her days were numbered. 

Funny thing is I was going to participate in the favorite female rocker game (I did for one day) and was going to vote for Joplin every day.  I had it in mind to vote against Grace Slick everyday because she just annoys me for some reason which I suppose isn’t fair really.  I decided to not participate partly because to be honest, I really didn’t recognize a lot of those names.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

There was a move made about Brian Jones recently called “Stoned”.  It explored the relationship between him and a builder who had been hired to work at his estate.  I guess the builder guy made a death bed confession that he’s the one who killed Brian Jones.  The Scotland Yard still has the case open and I don’t believe they were convinced that the builder guy was telling the truth.  That appears to be one really botched crime scene.  It’s sort of extraordinary that no one had ever come forward with info about what went on.

It’s a really bad movie and not one I would recommend to anyone.  There’s this one scene where you have Keith Richard and Brian Jones talking in the morning with robes on and the guy playing Richards has the robe wide open with you know what just hanging out.  My thought on that was, is this really necessary for the plot?  And if the Stones really did talk to each other that way, I don’t want to know.  lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : I wouldn’t call her the most over rated artist of all time.   I suppose she paved the way for women in rock and roll, somewhat.   The thing with statement like that though, I always feel that if such and such a person didn’t exist, someone else would have stepped up to the plate.   Joplin was very a very emotional singer and she had a fairly powerful voice.   I know some people just look at her and scratch their head wondering what people see in her.   There’s no way to know if you missed out on anything music wise.   I’m guessing Columbia would have teamed her with some songwriters and maybe, and it’s a big maybe, a classic album could have come out of it. The problem with people like Joplin is she was constantly playing with death.   If she didn’t die in 70 there were going to me many more opts for her.   Heroin addicts rarely pull out of it so her days were numbered.   Funny thing is I was going to participate in the favorite female rocker game (I did for one day) and was going to vote for Joplin every day.   I had it in mind to vote against Grace Slick everyday because she just annoys me for some reason which I suppose isn’t fair really.   I decided to not participate partly because to be honest, I really didn’t recognize a lot of those names.
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]

Most overrated?  I don't think so...not by a long shot.  And given the general dearth of recognition afforded to female rock artists, I would have trouble applying that label to any such singer.  It's easy to forget that the blues were still largely male-centric in both style and substance.

The live footage I've seen of Janis (esp. "Festival Express") convinces me that she was an electric performer capable of great musical expression.  She was hardly the first blues belter or the last, but she was still a singular talent, IMO.  For all her faults, she was an original, and in her short time, she had no equal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Guy is correct. Brian was basically already out of the band by the time of Brian's death.

OK...bad example, even though the Stones still weren't the same without him (for better or worse).  Still, the hypotheticals are endless.

How about Dave Mason leaving Traffic...?  Or Syd Barrett's nuclear meltdown?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE] Or Syd Barrett's nuclear meltdown?
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

that's a perfect example. a lot of people prefer piper to dark side, etc..me, i'm not so sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Another can of worms opened by yoga.   In my yoga session last night, I knew I was spending too much time in the music form, as my mind was not as blank as it normally is (although I was able to do two head stands last night, the second one was very shaky!) and I was thinking about a thread I was going to write for today (I'll do that in a sec) -- I kind of felt that can or worms bursting open about Janis. 

Matty, why should women in RnR, blues, folk, country, rap or any other genre be cut any slack just b/c there has been a glass ceiling in the music industry?  I don't subscribe to that, especially where Janis Joplin is concerned. 

That review, yes, I loved it, every scathing word, which is why I copied and pasted it into my comment box in the first place.  It concisely and precisely said the truth: she had a mere 15 minutes of fame that was inflated over time, after her career enhancing drug and alcohol induced death. 

Opinions and perceptions, that's all we're working off.   Her version of "Summertime" makes me ill, quite frankly. 

I am not one to hate on anyone (other than rapists, child molesters, well, you get the point) so I can't say I hate Joplin.  But one of jessey's fun-filled "hater" (I "hate" her so much it isn't even funny!) diatribes would fit the bill right about now.  
    :D

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : that's a perfect example. a lot of people prefer piper to dark side, etc..me, i'm not so sure.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

It truly begs the question, doesn't it?  And then what becomes of David Gilmour...?

Another "oh, wow, man, this is good s***", 4:30 AM-type moment....