What Bands Broke Up too Soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon

In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon: In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : I wouldn’t call her the most over rated artist of all time.   I suppose she paved the way for women in rock and roll, somewhat.   The thing with statement like that though, I always feel that if such and such a person didn’t exist, someone else would have stepped up to the plate.   Joplin was very a very emotional singer and she had a fairly powerful voice.   I know some people just look at her and scratch their head wondering what people see in her.      

Agreed on all points, especially the one about wondering what anyone saw in her or not feeling like I missed out on anything.  Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny thing is I was going to participate in the favorite female rocker game (I did for one day) and was going to vote for Joplin every day.   I had it in mind to vote against Grace Slick everyday because she just annoys me for some reason which I suppose isn’t fair really.   I decided to not participate partly because to be honest, I really didn’t recognize a lot of those names.
    Posted by AGUY1

This is interesting.  Funny, but in a game thread I am watching from afar, Grace Slick is a finalist, if you can believe that!!  So subjective, you know.  Many of the names on your list may pre-date your musical tastes, as many were/are great original female rockers, some real pioneers, as opposed to newer females, more indie / alt in their origins.  Still, good to know.  Next game thread, maybe. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i was voting for grace slick until i knew it was a lost cause

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : Most overrated?  I don't think so...not by a long shot.  And given the general dearth of recognition afforded to female rock artists, I would have trouble applying that label to any such singer.  It's easy to forget that the blues were still largely male-centric in both style and substance. The live footage I've seen of Janis (esp. "Festival Express") convinces me that she was an electric performer capable of great musical expression.  She was hardly the first blues belter or the last, but she was still a singular talent, IMO.  For all her faults, she was an original, and in her short time, she had no equal.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I think you misread me.  I said I DON'T think she is the most overrated performer in response to a post by Yoga.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kinks as a band that maybe broke up too soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : It truly begs the question, doesn't it?  And then what becomes of David Gilmour...? Another "oh, wow, man, this is good s***", 4:30 AM-type moment....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

i would like to think that he would have risen to greatness anyway, but there are so many contributing factors in anyone's success...would waters have had the same tug of war over the band? would they have used that tension to create the masterpieces that they went on to create?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Another can of worms opened by yoga.   In my yoga session last night, I knew I was spending too much time in the music form, as my mind was not as blank as it normally is (although I was able to do two head stands last night, the second one was very shaky!) and I was thinking about a thread I was going to write for today (I'll do that in a sec) -- I kind of felt that can or worms bursting open about Janis.  Matty, why should women in RnR, blues, folk, country, rap or any other genre be cut any slack just b/c there has been a glass ceiling in the music industry?  I don't subscribe to that, especially where Janis Joplin is concerned.  That review, yes, I loved it, every scathing word, which is why I copied and pasted it into my comment box in the first place.  It concisely and precisely said the truth: she had a mere 15 minutes of fame that was inflated over time, after her career enhancing drug and alcohol induced death.  Opinions and perceptions, that's all we're working off.   Her version of "Summertime" makes me ill, quite frankly.  I am not one to hate on anyone (other than rapists, child molesters, well, you get the point) so I can't say I hate Joplin.  But one of jessey's fun-filled "hater" (I "hate" her so much it isn't even funny!) diatribes would fit the bill right about now.   :D
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

No slack, except where the music and its artistic merits are concerned.  But, for that same reason, I don't think we can't hold such perceptions against them, either.

That said, there is still artistic value to being among the first to break new ground - barriers that nevertheless existed for female rock musicians.  Before Janis, there really weren't any strong female voices in rock music.  Grace Slick?...perhaps, but she was augmented by an already accomplished band and was a replacement for Signe Anderson.  Michelle Phillips and Mama Cass?  Yes, but still in a folk-rock tradition (Joan Baez).

Combine this with the fact that hardly ANY white women sang the blues with such authenticity and raw power, and Janis is still acknowledged as one of the best, if not the best, female rock singers of the 60s, hands down.  That's hardly faint praise. 

Otherwise, I'll happily consent to agree to disagree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Bands Broke Up too Soon : No slack, except where the music and its artistic merits are concerned.  But, for that same reason, I don't think we can't hold such perceptions against them, either. That said, there is still artistic value to being among the first to break new ground - barriers that nevertheless existed for female rock musicians.  Before Janis, there really weren't any strong female voices in rock music.  Grace Slick?...perhaps, but she was augmented by an already accomplished band and was a replacement for Signe Anderson.  Michelle Phillips and Mama Cass?  Yes, but still in a folk-rock tradition (Joan Baez). Combine this with the fact that hardly ANY white women sang the blues with such authenticity and raw power, and Janis is still acknowledged as one of the best, if not  the best, female rock singers of the 60s, hands down.  That's hardly faint praise.  Otherwise, I'll happily consent to agree to disagree.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]In the spirit of drawing the line (fine as it may be at times) between the tendency to define an over-rated artist by ones' personal taste and reasoning rather than context, raw talent and accomplishments, I'm stymied.  So okay.  When I found that review, I felt vindicated, as it crystallized everything I had always felt and had scratched my head about. It is one review that happens to match my opinion. 

Funny thing.  Yesterday I heard the term "news narcissist" defined as a person who is only interested in news that adheres to, supports, and moreorless cottons to their own views.  These NN's tend to glom onto opinions that support what they already believe, and "disagree" with and are closed off to other points of view.   They don't understand what it means to discuss or learn another point of view, and they're not interested in it.  So I thought about music while I was listening and thought, heck, music narcissists exist, too, and I don't want to be one of them.  I thrive on learning other points of view, and even if I do disagree somewhat, I want to come away feeling like my mind is more open.  So shall it be with Janis, perhaps, so thanks.  Give me a little time to process it, b/c discrediting her has been my wont, and you know, I can't let go of that overnight.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carlericson. Show carlericson's posts

Velvet Underground

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

she killed me and bobby mcgee...even though she wasn't a songwriter. i think kris kristopherson wrote it.

i will say this: the modern day janis joplin is amy winehouse. in more ways than one

Sections
Shortcuts