What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have?

We have listed favorite and least favorite concerts. What concert do you wish you could have attended? Maybe it is Woodstock; maybe the Beatles at Shea Stadium; maybe one of the Live Aid shows, Led Zep at the O2 a couple opf years ago, etc.

I just got my new Plasma and decided to check out the DVD player and watched the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley. This is the show I would have given anything to be at. Performers included:

Def Leppard
    Metallica
    Scorpions
    Guns and Roses
    Billy Squier
    Elton John
    Mick Ronson
    Lisa Stansfield
    Ian Hunter
    George Michael
    Paul Young
    Annie Lennox
    Liza Minelli
    David Bowie
    Roger Daltrey
    Robert Plant
    Queen

Some performed with Queen as well.

I also wouldn't have minded attending the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

Re: What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have?

average white band in 1976 i think - only cause all my friends went and i was away when they bought tickets
    thats the only time i remember being really bummed that i didnt go to a concert!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wish I could have seen the Beatles at Shea, but I was only 2. Alas ...

But seriously ...

Had tickets to see Rush in 1980. Februaryish, I'm pretty sure. And damned if my high school basketball team didn't make the playoffs for the first time in God knows how long. And three guesses when the first damn round was played?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LD, man, what timing!

I've wanted to see every U2 concert within driving distance since 1990, but the $$$ was prohibitive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rikky. Show Rikky's posts

Jimi Hendrix at Clark University in Worcester

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'll go back in time with jessey.  What ever concert he's going back to attend, I know it's going to be awesome, full on fun.  Just tell me what decade it's in, so I'll know how to wear my hair. 
    Laughing
    ps would love to see Def Leppard. :) and would love to see Annie Lennox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Closing of Winterland - The Grateful Dead - New Years Eve 1978

The band started at the stroke of midnight and played until about 6:30 that morning...the setlist alone is a masterwork, and by many accounts, this was one of their most definitive shows.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have?:
    [QUOTE]The Closing of Winterland - The Grateful Dead - New Years Eve 1978 The band started at the stroke of midnight and played until about 6:30 that morning...the setlist alone is a masterwork, and by many accounts, this was one of their most definitive shows.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

You do know that concert is available on DVD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Last Waltz of the Band     nov 25,  '76 @ the Winterland

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Live Aid (UK/US)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have?:
    [QUOTE]The Closing of Winterland - The Grateful Dead - New Years Eve 1978 The band started at the stroke of midnight and played until about 6:30 that morning...the setlist alone is a masterwork, and by many accounts, this was one of their most definitive shows.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Second That!

Also the recent R&R HOF shows at Madsion Square Garden, and the Bob Dylan Tribute Concert at MSG back in 94 I believe?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have? : You do know that concert is available on DVD.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have it and the CDs.

But of course, it's not the same as actually being there in the midst, as it were.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]The Last Waltz of the Band     nov 25,  '76 @ the Winterland
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'll add:

Phish @ Big Sky Reservation, Sunrise FL - New Year's Eve 2000

Sadly, I was even living in FL at the time four hours away; took a long time and several shows to forgive myself for that one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

When I think of concerts I wish i could have attended, I tend to think of catching great bands in their favorite little club haunts early on when they first found their magic.  Pixies in Boston or Janes Addiction in LA circa '85-'86.  Clash in London '76.  Beatles in Hamburg or Cavern.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]When I think of concerts I wish i could have attended, I tend to think of catching great bands in their favorite little club haunts early on when they first found their magic.  Pixies in Boston or Janes Addiction in LA circa '85-'86.  Clash in London '76.  Beatles in Hamburg or Cavern.   
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Club dates don't count Space; but I know what you are saying.

I saw U2 at a small club in Mt. Vernon, NY before anyone ever heard of them. The stage was smaller than my bedroom.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Miles Davis and The Grateful Dead shared the same bill at the Fillmore way back when.  I think that would have been something to experience. 

Santana at his peak in the 70s.  The Stones in the 70s.  Pink Floyd in their pre-The Wall days.  The Who in the 70s.

I would love to see Pearl Jam play a small place like the House of Blues.  They'd blow the doors off that place.

Eric Clapton in a small place if he promised to stick to the blues and stay away from the schlock (such as "You look wonderful tonight" and other stuff he did striclty for the commercial success").

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the flaming lips at lupo's in providence last year. i can only imagine how amazing that would have been at such a small venue. figures i left that day for the only vacation i have ever taken.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I specifically remember turning my nose up at an opportunity see J. Geils' Freeze Frame tour (for reasons that should be obvious) back in . . .  what . . .  1981, I guess . . .  and I came to regret that in retrospect, not because I would have enoyed the show, but because the girl who invited me was the proverbial "sure thing" in those days.

As Neli Innes says in his introduction to The Protest Song . . . "I've suffered long for my music . . .    now it's your turn."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

because the girl who invited me was the proverbial "sure thing" in those days.

there doesn't seem to be anything proverbial about that at all

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have? : Damn! I played at Lupo's (Heartbreak Hotel) and the Living Room across the street in the 80's.  A lot! Thanks for the memory, and I'm glad its still there.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

yeah, it combined with this place the strand i think. i go there every now and then. i played at the living room a lot for a while, but it got closed down for (OBVIOUS) health/fire inspection issues...in the first guitar hero video games they modeled one of the really run down clubs after the living room. it was aptly called "the rat's nest"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I regret that I did not see these performers:

James Brown
         Chrissie Hind and the Pretenders
         Fats Domino
         Bryan Adams
         Elvis Presley
         The Beatles

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldjcole. Show pauldjcole's posts

[QUOTE]Led Zep, Boston Garden, 1975.  Cancelled because Garden mgmt was dumb enough to let a couple thousand druggies waiting in line for tiks in, and the idiots trashed the place. I already HAD my ticket!
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldjcole. Show pauldjcole's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What concert didn't you attend that you wish you could have? :
    Posted by pauldjcole[/QUOTE]
    I can't believe someone else wrote about this show! I was so pissed that Mayor Kevin White Cancelled this show. This would have been my only time seeing the Mighty Zep, and in their prime no less. UGH! I saw Page and Plant in '95 but it wasn't the same. Would have been epic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

The Jam at the Orpheum theatre. I believe it was very early 80's.

The Clash in Harvard Square