What does your avatar say about you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

What does your avatar say about you?

This isn't about music, but about your presence here. This isn't facebook, and I'm glad for that. I closed my facebook account last year after their second privacy breach. Mine is nothing more than a snapshot of the one and only electric guitar I own. It looks like a Les Paul, but it's a Guild Nightbird II. There were only about 1500 ever made. It looks like a solid body but it's not. I replaced the rythym pickup with one that has more punch than the one from the factory. Unless you play, this is all very boring.

This little postage stamp sized image is your face here. Maybe it's meaningless in the scheme of things, but I find it interesting enough to bring up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: What does your avatar say about you?

I think that mine represents my feelings on inner calmness and tranquility which I tend to harbor deep within

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I originally started posting on Boston.com in 2006 ( due to format changes , somehow I am listed as a member since only 2008, though), I clicked on the "become a member" and really wasn't very well prepared to assign myself a username. Since I am a big fan of rock music ,science fiction and the Red Sox , I decided that "Godzilla" was very relevent for me, as it ties in to the Blue Oyster Cult song, the science fiction aspect and the "green monster" (Fenway's leftfield wall-for those not familiar with the term). I was told that "Godzilla" was taken , so I pulled a switch and used "ZILLAGOD" which is sort of a pig-latin for Godzilla and also happens to be the final word that either Eric or Donald says at the end of the B.O.C. song "Godzilla." Th euse of all caps was highly accidental, but I kind oflike that I did it that way.

In the "old days" of Boston.com, I think two format changes ago, there were no avatars along with the usernames. When the new format gave us the option to put an avatar picture , I left it blank for a few weeks ( in truth, I am no wiz with computers , although I use them at work and have become much more knowledgable than I ever dreamed, I don't live at the keyboard and do not even own a cellphone). I asked a young lady with much more computer savvy than me  and who works with me how to go about inserting an avatar picture and she gave me a little coaching. Naturally I scoured the images on google for a neat looking picture of Godzilla. I found this one and I kind of like it. There is no likeness ( naturally) The reference has nothing to do with my physical appearance, I am neither really big nor am I small . I did however, have a moment when , I thought,"these people are going to think I am a Yankee troll, because Yankee player Hideki Matsui was known as "Godzilla." I resisted the urge to change as I believe I was ZILLAGOD for my own very good reasons and to heck with what others may think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Miao"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you?:
    [QUOTE]I think that mine represents my feelings on inner calmness and tranquility which I tend to harbor deep within
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Come on, show us the dark side.Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Dogma is one of my favorite movies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Mine says that I'm a Pats fan.

And that I'm old.

Both of which are true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mine's my wedding bouquet.  (They were ivory roses, though, by the way.  Our photographer was THAT bad.)  Since the wedding was in 2008, I've toyed with changing it to a photo of our lab, but I always get so messed up when anyone else changes their avatar photo I  just leave it.  So, here's the picture I would use.  She's our 80 lb fur baby.  I hate that term, but if the shoe fits...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it's me and my friend's dog. with a beer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]it's me and my friend's dog. with a beer.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I hope that dog is old enough to drink.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

haha, a few more years. human years, that is...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Not really sure what is says. I tried many different names when I first signed on at BDC and they were all taken. Seinfeld had always been my favorite sitcom/show, I wanted to use a character but not a regular. IMO I found Newman to be the best of the supporting cast, plus he also had a quirky dark side. He is a thorn in your side, I thought the name would work well if I ever got into a heated debate. "NEWMAN" 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love it, Newman - he did add a lot to a perfect show, and I can relate to your proactive style regarding it being good for a debate. LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm here because I'm a Sox fan and my most intense period of fandom was in the late 70's.  I found this picture of two of the icons from that era and two of my favorite players, Yaz and Spaceman.  I just think it's a cool picture.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

My avatar is my own original artwork - first digital art I did (and I did it freehand using only a mouse..no stylus, no drawing pad).  I just started using it for everything - my Facebook Avi, my linkedin Avi, my twitter avi...the countless forums I belong to (BDC is the only one I visit regularly, actually, as this is my fun forum..the rest are all "work" forums...and lately I've been working too much to pop on every day...)

I guess it says "I like purple." Which is true.  I do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yoshi, I'm impressed!  I've tried to draw things in Paint, freehand, and it turns out looking like a 3 year old did it.  Come to think of it, it's how my non-digital art looks, too....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I went for awhile without an avatar. Was thinking of going with something of Yaz or Orr, my two favorite players growing up. In the end, I decided to go with a picture of my bike (Cannondale CAAD 8). I have a lazy streak in me, so it's a reminder to make sure I went out for my ride.

It worked pretty well. I am nearly back to my old routine -- the cold slowed me up the past two months -- so I don't need the reminder. I need to find a better picture that fits the window better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just don't know what mine means. Obviously the Beatles are my favorite musical entity but my original avatar was a group picture of the NY Dolls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think your avatar necessarily says anything about you, any more than a poster hanging in your room of someone you admire or just someone you like to look at.  Could be Yaz, could be the Fab Four, could be Jessica Alba in a bikini. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's not necessarily an autobiography, per se, but don't your passions and people you admire say something interesting about you?  I think so!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I do think it does reflect something inside us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think your avatar necessarily says anything about you, any more than a poster hanging in your room of someone you admire or just someone you like to look at.  Could be Yaz, could be the Fab Four, could be Jessica Alba in a bikini. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that sometimes, "a cigar is just a cigar."  

Insofar as "posters" go ...  I once saw a thread in the Sox forum about "favorite posters" that evolved into one of the most amusing threads I have ever seen, with some of the most alluring posters I have ever seen.   Never knew that sort of thing was discussed in the Sox forum.  Had no idea what I was missing. 
    Men are so much cooler than women. 
    Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]I do think it does reflect something inside us.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I concur

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but the only way your avatar might say completely nothing about you is if you enlist a stranger to pick your avatar.  Even then, it's not quite random - they know your gender, how you dress, a place you frequent, and that you are bold enough to go up to a stranger and ask for such a favor.  Hm, how could one come come up with an avatar that says nothing about them...?

ETA:  I'm not intending to be cantakerous, by the way - it just truly intrigues me.  Is it possible to truly have an avatar that says nothing about you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I've changed mine a bunch of times since I began posting.  Whenever the whim strikes.  This one reflected my mood one day, and I thought it was funny so it stuck (for now). 

Sections
Shortcuts