What gods of rock don't you like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheaper. Show cheaper's posts

Can't stand Aerosmith. When was the last time these "bad boys" wrote an original song? They've been coasting on a legacy.

The same goes for Sonic Youth. Those guys are the most pretentious twerps. I met them and felt nothing but condescension oozing out of their every pores.

I also have to agree with the Bob Dylan one, too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronin555. Show Ronin555's posts

I once liked Sonic Youth -- but now I find them almost unlistenable. The Beatles were always overrated. Springsteen first 2 albums ("Greetings From Asbury Park" and "The Wild, the Innocent, and E Street Shuffle") were masterpieces -- but when he started trying to ape a southern accent he became unlistenable. Radiohead -- a few good songs, but very much overrated.

Tom Waits is a genius, though he best years are behind him. "The Heart of Saturday Night" and "Blue Valentines" are all time greats.

Bob Dylan -- the early stuff, like many talented musicians, was awesome. But he hasn't written anything worthwhile in years.

Led Zeppelin -- greatest rock band ever. First 4 albums were unrivaled (even if they stole the rift for Whole Lotta Love).

Rolling Stones -- Exile on Main Street is their best album. Haven't written anything even listenable in 30 yrs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotJim. Show NotJim's posts

Jerry, Bobby-D, The Beatles, and Zeppelin.

I just cant agree with not liking them. Each had so many styles, its insane to say you dont like all of their work. I mean, hell, i dont like the early beatles, some of Bobby's work kills me (especialy now), i HATE kashmir and starway...and well...i am a diehard Jerry fan but dont like the Dead's 80's stuff (once their first 2 keyboardist died, their nexts were too..."tinkley")

Somthing, somewhere, makes you tick.

(Ps...i think these dummies who say they dont like the beatles are just trying to sound cool.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Not much originality to those selections or to the reasoning, for that matter. Most had to do with the quality/range/pitch of the artists' vocals or lyrics, which is not necessarily why I listen to music. Also included were various caveats or disclaimers. If you don't like something, say so.

That said, there are many, many songs by the artists mentioned which I don't like; the only real measure is how many likes vs. dislikes in a band's catalogue. Plus, many songs are made better by their absence. If you hear something all the time (Hell's Bells, anyone?), it can get stale.

Keep it fresh, but keep it honest.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Listen folks, Sonic Youth are a punk rock band. They do not appeal to the masses, nor have they ever tried to.

Part of the allure of the punk rockers is to create a rebellious sound aimed mainly at college age kids.

I was a teenager during the first wave of punk , and I still like it. I do like some but not all of Sonic Youth's songs.

But please, they are not "gods of rock"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

IMO, and I'm going from memory on the article, it's not worth reading again if you ask me. I don't really care what the "Globe" writers think, and I use the term "writers" with tongue firmly in cheek.

Radiohead - agree, not sure what folks see or hear in them.
    Springstein - Ugh, had some catchy tunes in the seventies, but his politics and tired image wore me out. I change the station whenever his songs come on.
    Stones - love 'em, period.
    Led Zep - love 'em, period
    Sonic Youth - ?
    Beatles - honestly, never was a fan of their music, and I'm 50, so I'm in the middle of their demographic. I like more of Lennon stuff after yoko, and before dying.
    Tom Waits - scotch and cigarettes will kill a good voice.
    Bob Dylan - like him for reasons other than music

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from plumpp. Show plumpp's posts

Regarding the Beatles, with exception of a few songs, they have not stood the test of time. Good songs don't tend to get annoying if "over-played". They just become stale. Their contribution was influence, but little good, well-rounded music. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but any popular group with such a large library would likely have a few long-lasting hits in there. I like Wings better!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lettersnumbersanddashes. Show lettersnumbersanddashes's posts

It's funny how we react so negatively to the fact that not everybody loves everyone that I love. And that we find it interesting when someone says that they don't like the Beatles, Dylan, or Led Zep.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheaper. Show cheaper's posts

[Quote]Listen folks, Sonic Youth are a punk rock band. They do not appeal to the masses, nor have they ever tried to.[/Quote]

Punk rock wasn't necessarily an appeal to college kids. Why did the working class kids in England embrace it with such abandon? Sonic Youth never struck me as being punk. They always made me think that they were making the music too academic, rather than breaking down the boundaries, they were building the music into a course. With that, all the freedom got lost.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jvroy. Show jvroy's posts

These rock "critics" are too young, they weren't really around when people like Dylan, the Stones, Yardbirds, Them, etc really blew up the music world. I suppose if I was to listen, as a Twenty or Thirty Something, to the first few albums by any of these people, I might let out a yawn or two and ask, What was the Big Deal?
    The point is, you have to live through this stuff to "get it." It WAS a big deal. I went down to NYC to hear Van Morrison last week. When he did "Mystic Eyes," I almost passed out. Those were great days back then in the 1960s. Anyone who wasn't alive then really missed out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cable12. Show Cable12's posts

Right on about Springsteen.
    "akin to sitting next to someone you've just met at a wedding and realize that they're not bad, just boring" lol
    now if he could just sing...nuff said

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonofpie. Show sonofpie's posts

Music critic Johnathan Perry once again proves that if he can't get stoned to it, he's not listening to it. For someone who fancies himself a music critic, Mr.Perry's range is limited to pretentious, self-aware indie music, psychadellic throwback garbage, and "Best of" albums from the late 60s and early 70's... I mean look at his "Best albums of 2008", half of them are compillations or live recordings from 40 years ago! Is music really that stagnant where the best thing to happen to it in the past year is somebody throwing another log on the fire for David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust days of the early 70's?
    And he has the gall to call Tom Waits a phony?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RugBurn. Show RugBurn's posts

Now I realize that this column is merely red meat thrown to the crowd for the purpose of forum posts, however, I'm going to have to agree with the gist of the piece.

I am personally offended by the inclusion of some of the artists (Waits and Dylan, to name a couple) but I can honestly say I don't care for almost half of the artists on the list.

Smoot hates Sonic Youth but loves GBV.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapiOrtiz. Show BigPapiOrtiz's posts

For me it's the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam. I thought they were good bands initially, but they're played so much on the radio that I just can't stand them anymore. It's gotten to the point where they can make absolute crap songs and WBCN and WFNX will still play their new singles religiously.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WildMan9. Show WildMan9's posts

Luke, how could you not like Zeppelin? Blasphemy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]

Punk rock wasn't necessarily an appeal to college kids. Why did the working class kids in England embrace it with such abandon? Sonic Youth never struck me as being punk. They always made me think that they were making the music too academic, rather than breaking down the boundaries, they were building the music into a course. With that, all the freedom got lost.[/Quote]

Well. I guess you have a valid point , but most of the punk rock I heard on the radio when I was younger was played on the college radio stations, WBRU , etc.

As far as Sonic Youth not being Punk Rock ,I disagree. They could be classified as alternative rock , along with the Pixies and the Replacemnets , but although these groups were offshoots from the original "punk" sound, they are indeed punk rock bands.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbt. Show jbt's posts

Elvis Presley -- the Brtiney Spears of early rock. Other people wrote, arranged, produced, told him what to wear, how to act, how to sing. Not an original bone in his fat body. So, there. Now yell at me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballlifer. Show baseballlifer's posts

Some idiots will say anything to get a blurb in the paper. Emphasis on idiots.
    If ya don't like it, don't listen to it. BTW, side 2 of Abbey Road is one of the best ever recorded. Period.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesportsfan6013. Show nesportsfan6013's posts

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash are two that I just can't listen too. Maybe the songs that they have written (did Johnny write songs? sorry, not sure) are better when someone else sings them, but not when they do.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from melodymm. Show melodymm's posts

KISS. ACDC.
    I don't get the appeal. Ewwww.
    Ugly guys, stupid songs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from geebs70. Show geebs70's posts

Can't stand U2. Chilli Peppers and Aerosmith of the past 15+ years have been total sell-outs. Even though I did a lot of psychedelic drugs in my time, I never got the whole boring, drawn out sound of the Dead. Sonic Youth definitely have their place, but like Fugazi, their first couple albums were their best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bundis. Show Bundis's posts

Greats music is age related for everybody like Springsteen is my older brother era, Beatles my parents it's not that I don't like them there just not mine. Lets go by years...

1960's - The Doors, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Band, Jimi Hendricks, The Beach Boys, Janis Joplin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Dylan, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

1970's - Grateful Dead, Led Zepplin, The Allman Brothers, Bob Marley, Aerosmith, Jerry Garcia Band, The Eagles, Jimmy Buffett, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steve Miller Band, KISS, Everything on Detriot Rock City & Dazed & Confused soundtracks.

1980's - J. Geils Band, Tom Petty, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Huey Lewis & the News, U2, Madonna, Heart, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bruce Springsteen, Guns & Roses, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motley Crue, ZZ Top,

1990's - Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Nivana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Everclear, Foo Fighters, Rage against the Machine, Bestie Boys, Boyz II Men, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, The Black Crowes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alanis Morisette, Dave Matthews Band, Green Day, Blues Traveler, Phish, Cypress Hill

2000's - Jack Johnson, Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, Trey Anastasio Band, Widespread Panic, Animal Liberation Orchestra, Tea Leaf Green, MOE, Umphrey's McGee, Culver City Dub Collective, Brett Dennen, Derek Trucks Band, Jackie Green, Yonder Mountain String Band, Gov't Mule, Dumpstaphunk, Grace Potter & the nocturnals.