What gods of rock don't you like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SirStewart. Show SirStewart's posts

Re: The Beatles entry - Michael Saunders didn't like the Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage' video either, so consider the source.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]I liked the Beatles better when they each went out on their own.

At a minimum, you have to respect Aerosmith's ability to come back after so many lost years. They also have some genius writing such as " Love in an elevator, lovin' it up while I'm going down." Awesome!

Never understood why people liked The Doors or The Who as much as they did.[/Quote]

As someone who was alive in the '60's when the Doors and the Who were at their peak, I can tell you what is so special about these two bands.

The Doors pretty much invented the dark brooding style that would later be labeled gothic. They were years ahead of their time. Jim Morrison was absolutely the most unpredictable front man ever, he preceded the on stage antics of Iggy Pop and the Sex Pistols by about 10 years.Ray Manzarek was just an unbelievably talented keyboard player and his keyboards drive the Doors sound and made the Doors sound so unique from all the guitar bands that featured a top-name lead guitarist.

The Who were so good, Keith Moon was one of my all-time favorite drummers. They were one of the first rock bands to make concept albums and sing about something other than sappy love songs, "Pinball Wizard", "Going Mobile" , "Behind Blue Eyes", "I'm a Boy", etc. another group way ahead of it's time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CivilRightsGrl. Show CivilRightsGrl's posts

U2 --- i really don't get the obsession. their songs are unremarkable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Justynee713. Show Justynee713's posts

ok Im not gonna lie here im only 19. butt i have to disagree with anyone who doesnt like the beatles.. i mean honeslty you dont have to love them but to say their not good.. Aerosmith is also good who cares if they dont have some original songs either way they got famous doing it! props to them! also red hot chili peppers are pretty good to. I am going to say that i do despise the Beastie Boys i think they are so annoying except for like one or 2 songs. other than that.. they shouldnt exist.

besides that i agree with the not liking springsteen. never did get into that im pretty open to any music i dont just like old or new or certain types of music

favorite is probably Queen they were just frikin awesome

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nootch. Show nootch's posts

I have never been a fan of Pink Floyd. I've tried listening to their stuff and just don't like it. I give credit to what they've done and accomplished. I see why people like them and understand why people rate them so high when talking about some of the greatest bands ever. But, I just flat out am not a fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxcelts34NR. Show soxcelts34NR's posts

I don't know if they can be considered "rock gods" or whatever, but I cannot deal with The Police. Sting's voice just kills me, and their fake reggae stuff is cringeworthy. Ugh.

Also, can somebody explain to me, other than maybe a handful of tunes, what U2 has ever done that even scratches the surface of mediocre? No great instrumentalists, annoying vocalist, average songwriting, what is the appeal (besides all the marketing and our penchant to elevate average, middle of the road music)?

Agreed on The Boss, too. He's got his niche and that's cool. But in terms of talent, songwriting, the whole lot, I can come up with a quick 100 off the top of my head who are way more dynamic and interesting of a musician.

Don't get me wrong, they are all solid musicians, but none are remotely worthy of their status in music, not when hundreds of people on supposedly lower rungs blow them so far out of the water.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangarcia. Show dangarcia's posts

Re: What gods of rock don't you like?

I think u2 is up there with the rest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I find it really interesting to read what people have to say about rock bands and artists they don't like or understand.

My biggest problem has always been that I like just about all the great rock artists. This obsession has ultimately cost me a lot of money.

I can count on one hand the "great" artists that I really. really don't like. Cheap Trick, anything by Aerosmith after the "Live Bootleg" LP, almost everything by Kiss, and alot of Rod Stewart's later stuff.

I can start with Abba and go right up to ZZTop with all the artists I enjoy listening to. I like Blues, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Post punk,Gothic, Alternative, Grunge and Progressive.

I find it hard to believe that there are people that consider themselves rock fans who don't like Pink Floyd, the Doors and the Who.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Hands down U2 is the most overblown testament to nothing since the Doors.

Although I might add that if it wasn't for Bono, Bruce Springsteen (whom I loved thirty years ago) would be the most annoying person on the planet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hands down U2 is the most overblown testament to nothing since the Doors. Although I might add that if it wasn't for Bono, Bruce Springsteen (whom I loved thirty years ago) would be the most annoying person on the planet.
    Posted by prairiemike

Let me guess, they call you "Tim"???

My vote for most annoying person on the planet would probably be Regis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh wow . . .

Yeah, Regis is pretty annoying in a general way, but he doesn't preach the way Bruce and Bono do. Another thing this thread made me think about was how much of the music I loved when I was a teenager now grates on my nerves like . . .   well, like Regis.

Number One retarded song that sucks that I thought was cool when I was 13:

Come Sail Away, by Styx.

And incidentally, only some call me Tim.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

I've never liked Bob Dylan or Dropkick Murphys. U2 has been impossible to listen since "Numb."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

Hey Plumpp, The Beatles have absolutely stood the test of time. They were an AMAZING band. I have played them to death, but there sound and production was light years ahead of their time. The way they created their music was singular

Time for Keith and Mick to hang it up. I use to really dig U2, but they are ascending the annoying scale at an alarming rate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigWillie2. Show BigWillie2's posts

I'd have to go with Nirvana. It must be timing, where I was at in life when they hit.  All these years later I still go 'huh?'.  There is nothing original in their music.  In fact there is very little musical talent that I can discern.  The energy or spirit or whatever it is seems to be their big selling point, but I've seen that many times before and since,  Nirvana is hardly unique. 

Yet so many are ga-ga over them it makes me wonder what it is that I'm missing.  I should like them.  I don't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I thought I would rehash one of the oldest threads on this forum considering the subject matter.

And my number one choice would be:

Bruce Springsteen

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Led Zeppelin most overrated band ever period.

Just start with the fact of how much stuff they just flat out stole from old or dead blues guys, and gave no credit or money.

Biggest most overrated group ever, period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton for me. Part of I'll admit is because I've never heard a lot of their songs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Springsteen & Zeppelin...ouch.  I'm not sure this is such a great idea.  We're talking about two massively talented and beloved artists here.  We all have our favorites and our non-favorites.  I don't enjoy Dylan or Neil Young or Clapton as much as a lot of people do.  But I respect the fact that they're well-loved for a reason.  Not enjoying somebody is not the same as them being overrated.

Valid criticism on Zep of course, but really only applicable to stuff on their first two albums, before they found their own creative vision.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I hate Bob Dylan, The Who, Jimmi Hendrix, and I am sure there are more.

I don't think Dylan is a particularly good lyricist and none of his songs ever connected with me. The Who just bother me for some reason. And Hendrix is over rated as a guitarist and his vocals sukk.