What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?

I thought of this when I was reading the posts on the trio and hates songs thread.

For me:

1. Rush: I couldn't stand Rush for some reason back when they were big when I was in high school. A buddy of mine loved Rush, but I wasn't a fan for some reason. Never bought anything of theirs. Now, I love Rush. When a song of theirs comes on the radio, I crank it up and thing, "Cool, Rush." Still don't have anything of theirs, but that will change.

2. Bon Jovi: For some reason, Bon Jovi seem to rub the wrong way when they first came out. But I enjoyed their set in the 9/11 concert and started listening to them and became a fan. The one song, however, that I did always love -- it was the only thing I liked back in the day -- is Runaway. The opening rift is great and live versions kick butt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?

Agree with Rush.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?

Tears for Fears. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Elvis Costello - what will he do next?
    Brian Wilson - I never fully appreciated his genius in the studio until much later
    Paul Weller - The Jam, Style Council, solo, it's all good now
    Hall & Oates - but not the MTV crap like Maneater.
    Rush - but I never need to hear Tom Sawyer again...now they sound better than ever.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ditto on Tears for Fears. Always thought they were talented, but it was so overplayed when they were charting I lost interest. And of then I probably would've been beaten up for admiting I liked them at all back in the early 80s. The Seeds of Love disc never got the credit I thought it deserved, great songwriting, great production.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Queen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Duran Duran - I really appreciate their sense of pop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Had to think about this one a while (thanks, roy), generally because I usually know what I like and what I don't when I first hear it.  That said, I can think of three:

The Cure - of course, I knew of them and knew plenty of people who were into the 'goth' aesthetic, but I never really listened.  But over the years, I've come to appreciate the songwriting, the musicianship and the layering of many of the tunes which feature more guitars than one would think.  "Disintegration" has now become a particular touchstone album for me into modern british guitar pop (esp. Stone Roses) and a cultural link to my prep school days

The Smiths - for many of the same reasons above, although they are more in the "appreciate" than outright "like" category.  Again, good songwriting, good guitars (Johnny Marr = underrated) in spite of the fatalistic themes.  And Morrissey is indeed a crooner of rare talent (and rare immodesty).  There's a soulfulness to their music that's hard to catch with just a listen or two.  

My Bloody Valentine - OK, so I never knew these guys existed at the time, and only now do I know what I was missing.  I discovered "Loveless" 8 or 9 years after it was released, but at the time, it sounded fresh and exciting.  It should be known that I have a soft spot for avant noise all the way back to Pink Floyd's really weird stuff to live Zappa to Sonic Youth.  (Yes, I find strange comfort in tunelessness, so sue me.)  MBV were gloriously drenched in feedback that was unusually poetic and lyrical.  Very influential and tragically short-lived, they pointed me to other obscurities like Wire, Catherine Wheel, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Strange as this is because it has been so many years since their hey day, but I do appreciate The Stones more now than I did when I was a teenager. For whatever reason, Jagger just annoyed me. It is probably why The Stones are the only band that I never saw live. When Guns opened for them, I left right after they played. I did not bother to wait around for the Stones.

Again, bless me father for I have sinned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?:
    I thought of this when I was reading the posts on the trio and hates songs thread. For me: 1. Rush: I couldn't stand Rush for some reason back when they were big when I was in high school. A buddy of mine loved Rush, but I wasn't a fan for some reason. Never bought anything of theirs. Now, I love Rush. When a song of theirs comes on the radio, I crank it up and thing, "Cool, Rush." Still don't have anything of theirs, but that will change. 2. Bon Jovi: For some reason, Bon Jovi seem to rub the wrong way when they first came out. But I enjoyed their set in the 9/11 concert and started listening to them and became a fan. The one song, however, that I did always love -- it was the only thing I liked back in the day -- is Runaway. The opening rift is great and live versions kick butt.
    Posted by royf19

Definitely Rush. I don't know why I didn't like them when they came out, but I didn't. Then, sometime in the early 2000s, I got into them. Now I have all their stuff and really dig them.
    Also Skynyrd. Same story ... didn't like them in the '70s, probably because all my redneck friends did. But I got into them in the 2000s.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?:
    In Response to What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay? : Definitely Rush. I don't know why I didn't like them when they came out, but I didn't. Then, sometime in the early 2000s, I got into them. Now I have all their stuff and really dig them. Also Skynyrd. Same story ... didn't like them in the '70s, probably because all my redneck friends did. But I got into them in the 2000s.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Skynyrd -- I forgot about them. I was in the seventh grade when their plane crashed and wasn't listening to the Album Rock stations at the time. I was still listening Top 40 stations. When I started to listening to album rock stations around my freshman/sophomore years of high school, I really didn't Skynyrd much then either. But I came around on Skynyrd much sooner -- probably late '80s.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay?:
    Strange as this is because it has been so many years since their hey day, but I do appreciate The Stones more now than I did when I was a teenager. For whatever reason, Jagger just annoyed me. It is probably why The Stones are the only band that I never saw live. When Guns opened for them, I left right after they played. I did not bother to wait around for the Stones. Again, bless me father for I have sinned.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Dude?

I am without speech.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I never liked Springsteen in High school because all the "Cool People" liked him because he was knew and he had his picture on Time and Newsweek. That was my senior year in high school 75-76. When "Darkness on the edge of town" came out in 78, I realized how good this guy is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: What Group/Performer Do You Like More Now Than You Did When They Were In Their HeyDay? : Dude? I am without speech.
    Posted by p-mike

Here is the bizarre thing - I have seen Richards/Wood - New Barbarians Tour  &

Charlie Watts Band or whatever he called it.

Keith is one of my childhood idols and I actually hung out with him years ago at the Bitter End in NYC.

But my dislike of Jagger is so great that I could not stay to see the Stones. My two least favorite Rock musicians are Jagger and Jim (The Drunk) Morrison.

Again - I know that I have sinned with this, but what can I do. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Easy call for me -- Led Zeppelin.  Just was not quite old enough to appreciate them in the early-mid 70s.  Can't say for sure when/how the light went on in the 80s, but I'm sure it had to do with some friendly persuasion and digging deeper into the albums.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm with you roy on Bon Jovi.  He/they were an easy target for us Metal heads in the 80's.  I guess he was to pretty for his own good.  I'm sure if he looked more like Lemmy and less like Barbi the girls wouldn't of loved him and maybe us guys would of given him/them a chance.

I was at the concert Friday night just listening to the lyrics and music thinking, damn these guys are good.

Sections
Shortcuts