What is the best Rock remake of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

What is the best Rock remake of all time?

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this has been done before? What rock or pop song is the greatest remake? Meaning much better then the original? My vote 1. All along the watchtower-Hendrix 2. I heard it through the Grapevine-Marvin Gaye(This would be higher but Gladys Knight and the Pips version was almost as good. And Creedance didn't do to bad a remake either)3. Twist and Shout-Beatles. There are others that are close but not quite like. Well all right by Traffic. Nice remake but not quite Buddy Holly. And Bob Seeger's Fortunate Son was pretty good but not quite Creedance. I'm sure there are others I've missed but I can't think of them all but those 3 are the top rock ones. I have a feeling a few Dylan re-makes will make the list.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time?

Interesting idea.  Let's see what I can come up with.

Van Halen did a great remake of 'You're No Good'...and a decent remake of 'You Really Got Me'.

Metallica does a bunch of good remakes on their 'Garage Inc.' album...full marks for the choices they made, including 'Turn the Page' by Seger, 'Whiskey in the Jar' by Thin Lizzy, 'Astronomy' by BOC and 'Stone Cold Crazy' by Queen.

I thought Elton John did a creditable remake of Pinball Wizard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There are tons of them, many already mentioned.

Tina Turner - Acid Queen (Recorded with the Who - I believe)

Knockin On Heavens Door - Guns and Roses (Bob Dylan Track)

Live and Let Die - Guns and Roses (Paul McCartney Track)

Come Together - Aerosmith (Beatles Track)

Good thread Jay and it gives me an idea for another thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Tough to choose a best of all time, but I would include

Black Magic Woman - Santana
    Respect - Aretha Franklin
    Crossroads - Cream

I also always liked Van Halen's Dancin in the Streets, but You Really Got Me is even better, and my pick as overall best.

Is New York New York Rock?

Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDanny. Show DrDanny's posts

*With a Little Help from my Friends* by Joe Cocker (at Woodstock, of course)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time?:
    Tough to choose a best of all time, but I would include Black Magic Woman - Santana Respect - Aretha Franklin Crossroads - Cream I also always liked Van Halen's Dancin in the Streets, but You Really Got Me is even better, and my pick as overall best. Is New York New York Rock?
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Forgot about Respect being an Otis Redding song. Good one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I'm not a Patty Smith fan but I think her remake of Bruce's "Because the night" was better then Bruce's. And 10,000 maniacs version was not too good imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If we're going to consider other artist's versions of songs that the writers didn't record until later as "remakes," then I would say Southside Johnny's rendition of The Fever should be on this list. It's far superior to any version Springsteen and his band ever did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

*With a Little Help from my Friends* by Joe Cocker (at Woodstock, of course)
    Posted by DrDanny

Joe's Woodstock performance of that is incredible.  He is one of the best 'remakers' in history, I would say.  The first thing of his I heard was 'She Came In Through The Bathroom Window'.  I was blown away.  I had never heard a voice anything like that.  Some other great covers of his, just from his early albums-'Bird on A Wire', 'Darling Be Home Soon' and of course 'The Letter'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

"Bang Bang" by Terry Reid was a good one.

"Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm wasn't bad either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Little Wing by Eric Clapton. Nothing against Hendrix, but I think Clapton's version (versions, there are a couple of live versions that are great too) is better.

And jayt25, I disagree. I can't stand Patty Smith's version. 10,000 Maniacs version is much better. I admit, I like Natalie Merchant's voice. 

I heard Bruce's version last -- a live version off the '75-'85 live greatest hits album, and IMO, it's the best version -- a lot of energy, powerful, great solo and great drums at the end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but my favorite is , "Still I'm Sad" the old Yardbirds classic remade as an instrumental ( the final track of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow ,the debut album) by Rainbow. Blackmore is in top form and Cozy Powell's drumming is brilliant.

But that's just me, I worship at the altar of Ritchie Blackmore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Ricki Lee Jones did a great cover of Steely Dan's 'Showbiz Kids'. 

And Joe Cocker is the man when it comes to reinterpreting tunes.   Rod Stewart is also great at that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Another good one is ELO's version of Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven", it is almost as if Chuck Berry wrote this song for ELO, it is perfect for their style of rock/classical hybrid prog rock music.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Here are a few more. Not widely known, but you should give a listen to:

Faster Pussycat - You're so Vain - Carly Simon
    Hanoi Rocks - Up Around the Bend - CCR
    Great White - Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Ian Hunter
    Motley Crue - Smokin' In The Boys Room - Brownsville Station
    Beatles - Mr. Postman - Supremes (I think)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Here are a few more. Not widely known, but you should give a listen to: Faster Pussycat - You're so Vain - Carly Simon Hanoi Rocks - Up Around the Bend - CCR Great White - Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Ian Hunter Motley Crue - Smokin' In The Boys Room - Brownsville Station Beatles - Mr. Postman - Supremes (I think)
    Posted by jesseyeric

Mr Postman was actually done by The Marvelettes, and was the first Motown hit to reach #1 on the Billboard Top 100. Even more interesting was the backing band, which included a guy named Marvin Gaye on drums...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Mr Postman was actually done by The Marvelettes, and was the first Motown hit to reach #1 on the Billboard Top 100. Even more interesting was the backing band, which included a guy named Marvin Gaye on drums...
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Thanks SDM - I always mess that one up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Here's a dozen (omitting Dylan and Beatles tunes, 'cause it ain't fair):

"Signs" - Tesla (Five-Man Electrical Band)
    "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" - Rage Against The Machine (Bruce Springsteen)
    "Lake Of Fire" - Nirvana (Meat Puppets)
    "Superstition" - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble (Stevie Wonder)
    "Stop Your Sobbing" - The Pretenders (The Kinks)
    "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?" - Van Halen (The Kinks)
    "Hurt" - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
    "Baker Street" - Foo Fighters (Gerry Rafferty - seriously, find this...so good.)
    "Waiting For The Man" - David Bowie (Velvet Underground)
    "Reign In Blood" - Tori Amos (Slayer - frighteningly awesome)
    "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" - Led Zeppelin (Joan Baez)
    "I Fought The Law" - The Clash (Bobby Fuller)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Oh, I almost forgot:

David Lee Roth - "Tobacco Road", off the "Eat 'Em And Smile" LP with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan.  I don't know who did the original, but this version is pretty sweet...

And Sonic Youth's version of "Superstar" (The Carpenters) is positively sublime.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Here's a dozen (omitting Dylan and Beatles tunes, 'cause it ain't fair): "Signs" - Tesla (Five-Man Electrical Band) "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" - Rage Against The Machine (Bruce Springsteen) "Lake Of Fire" - Nirvana (Meat Puppets) "Superstition" - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble (Stevie Wonder) "Stop Your Sobbing" - The Pretenders (The Kinks) "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?" - Van Halen (The Kinks) "Hurt" - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails) "Baker Street" - Foo Fighters (Gerry Rafferty - seriously, find this...so good.) "Waiting For The Man" - David Bowie (Velvet Underground) "Reign In Blood" - Tori Amos (Slayer - frighteningly awesome) "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" - Led Zeppelin (Joan Baez) "I Fought The Law" - The Clash (Bobby Fuller)
    Posted by Mattyhorn

How could I possibly forget Tesla, The Clash and Bowie?

Cannot say that I was too thrilled with Cash's version of Hurt.

Speaking of NIN, I prefer their version of Dead Souls over Joy Division's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Forgot about Respect being an Otis Redding song. Good one.
    Posted by jaytf25

I didn't know Aretha's version was a remake either.  Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A not-so-rock remake I love is Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold"  / Sting - absolutely gorgeous.   Better than the original, really. 

Jeff Buckley's release of  "Hallelujah"  - this one has become a classic, in comparison with so many versions that have been done over time. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : I didn't know Aretha's version was a remake either.  Thanks! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- A not-so-rock remake I love is Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold"  / Sting - absolutely gorgeous.   Better than the original, really.  Jeff Buckley's release of  " Hallelujah"  - this one has become a classic, in comparison with so many versions that have been done over time. 
    Posted by yogafriend

I love that version, it's the only one I listen too. Jeff Buckley was another underrated artist who left us too soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Ricki Lee Jones did a great cover of Steely Dan's 'Showbiz Kids'.  And Joe Cocker is the man when it comes to reinterpreting tunes.   Rod Stewart is also great at that. 
    Posted by SlimPickensII

That cover is from an album made up of all cover songs called It's Like This, and includes Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, and the Beatles For No One, among others. One of her best, imo. She is kind of polarizing in her style/approach...seems like people either love her or hate her.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I wouldn't want to let this thread get away without mentioning Johnny Cash's rendition of Depeche Modes' Your Own Personal Jesus. It's not ground-breaking or anything, but it was an interesting departure for Johnny (may he rest in peace).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I wouldn't want to let this thread get away without mentioning Johnny Cash's rendition of Depeche Modes'  Your Own Personal Jesus . It's not ground-breaking or anything, but it was an interesting departure for Johnny (may he rest in peace).
    Posted by p-mike

Speaking of Johnny Cash, he blew me away with "Hurt." I never heard the Nine-Inch Nails version, but Cash's version was fantastic.

Sections
Shortcuts