What is the best Rock remake of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time?

Kind of Like Headmaster"s Ritual, By Radiiohead

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time?:
    In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : How could I possibly forget Tesla, The Clash and Bowie? Cannot say that I was too thrilled with Cash's version of Hurt. Speaking of NIN, I prefer their version of Dead Souls over Joy Division's.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Agreed on "Dead Souls"...all-around killer soundtrack, that.

Speaking of NIN, I was interested to hear Trent Reznor's comments in the new Rush documentary sticking up for the band's 80s output...bright guy....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : That cover is from an album made up of all cover songs called It's Like This, and includes Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, and the Beatles For No One, among others. One of her best, imo. She is kind of polarizing in her style/approach...seems like people either love her or hate her.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

I swear I heard this song off her first album, the one with Chuck E. on it.  Perhaps they tacked it onto the CD as a bonus track?  I definitely haven't heard those others you listed.  And the Ex has the disc now, so unless I buy another copy I can't confirm.

Ricki really is a weak singer.  A stylist really. One album is probably all one needs to hear of her.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Agreed on "Dead Souls"...all-around killer soundtrack, that. Speaking of NIN, I was interested to hear Trent Reznor's comments in the new Rush documentary sticking up for the band's 80s output...bright guy....
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Not just Reznor either. Several major players from the Alt. scene had a lot of good things to say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

You guys have beaten me to most -- though I will second Jimi's "All Along the Watchtower" (my ringtone) as the all-time best.
    Some others ...
    "If Not For You," George Harrison (Dylan)
    "Pretty Woman," Van Halen (Roy Orbison)
    "Romeo and Juliet," Indigo Girls (Dire Straits)
    "Take Me to the River," Talking Heads (Al Green)
    "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," Eddie Vedder (Beatles)
    "Higher Ground," Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder)
    "Poor Poor Pitiful Me," Linda Ronstadt (Warren Zevon)

Oh, Jessy, I have to admit, I hate Aerosmith's "Come Together."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Godfathers did a great version of Lennon's "Cold Turkey".

..and unless you've heard this one you won't believe it , but I like it alot...Sonic Youth did "Superstar" by the Carpenters on some sort of tribute album...it's very eerie and spooky sounding.

Also a group named Too Much Joy did a 90's version of Terry Jacks "Seasons in the Sun" , it's a very tongue in cheek punk rock version that I soon came to like better than the original.

...and you haven't lived until you hear Stan Ridgway's version of "Sixteen Tons" , the Tennesee Ernie Ford song. It is great.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Listen to Eric Clapton's version of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" off the Bob Dylan Tribute concert CD.  It is a little piece of heaven in your ears.

My all time favorite, though, would be Janis doing Summertime.  Or Ball and Chain.

Can't forget Tina's version of Proud Mary, either. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Not just Reznor either. Several major players from the Alt. scene had a lot of good things to say.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yes...constructive things, too...not just fawning praise.  Overall, it was a well-considered, informative film.   My favorite line was Neil's:

"As a kid, I worshipped The Who, but I never, for one minute, thought about tracking down and camping outside their hotel rooms."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Yes...constructive things, too...not just fawning praise.  Overall, it was a well-considered, informative film.   My favorite line was Neil's: "As a kid, I worshipped The Who, but I never, for one minute, thought about tracking down and camping outside their hotel rooms."
    Posted by Mattyhorn

That did bring a chuckle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

You guys have beaten me to most -- though I will second Jimi's "All Along the Watchtower" (my ringtone) as the all-time best. Some others ... "If Not For You," George Harrison (Dylan) "Pretty Woman," Van Halen (Roy Orbison) "Romeo and Juliet," Indigo Girls (Dire Straits) "Take Me to the River," Talking Heads (Al Green) "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," Eddie Vedder (Beatles) "Higher Ground," Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder) "Poor Poor Pitiful Me," Linda Ronstadt (Warren Zevon) Oh, Jessy, I have to admit, I hate Aerosmith's "Come Together."
    Posted by LloydDobler

Lloyd I'll have to listen or you tube the Indigo Girls version. Did not know they did that. I'm a big Dire Straights- Mark Knoeffler fan so I''ll need some convincing. I'm glad you agree on All along the watchtower. Many are close but I think that's the one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Just thought of four (by Heart) -- only heard them on concert albums. The first is an Elton John song and the others are Zeppelin.

Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters -- Nancy Wilson on lead vocals. I think her version is actually better than Elton John's. In fact, this might be my favorite remake of all time.

The Battle of Evermore -- Ann on lead but great harmony vocals by Nancy. And personally, I think this version is better than Zeppelin's.

Black Dog -- Ann Wilson on lead vocals is great.

Rock 'n' Roll -- Ann on lead again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Just thought of four (by Heart) -- only heard them on concert albums. The first is an Elton John song and the others are Zeppelin. Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters -- Nancy Wilson on lead vocals. I think her version is actually better than Elton John's. In fact, this might be my favorite remake of all time. The Battle of Evermore -- Ann on lead but great harmony vocals by Nancy. And personally, I think this version is better than Zeppelin's. Black Dog -- Ann Wilson on lead vocals is great. Rock 'n' Roll -- Ann on lead again.
    Posted by royf19

Wow, never knew Heart did ML and MH. I will definitely have to check that out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Wow, never knew Heart did ML and MH. I will definitely have to check that out.
    Posted by LloydDobler

As long as were talking about Elton John covers, the Two Rooms disc...Sting (who I used to like before his ego took over) did a very decent cover of Come Down in Time. Clapton and The Who also contributed, with Border Song and Saturday Night respectively. Hall & Oates do a good Philladelphia Freedom. The show stopper, at least for me, is Oleta Adams (Tears for Fears) doing Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me. The whole cd is really good, with a couple exceptions, and imho, shows what a great songwriting team Elton and Bernie Taupin were/are, providing a great canvas for interpretation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Godfathers did a great version of Lennon's "Cold Turkey".

Just checked this out. Very good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Wow, never knew Heart did ML and MH. I will definitely have to check that out.
    Posted by LloydDobler

I have it on the Live from Seattle CD that came out around 2004. Like I said, Nancy Wilson's vocals on that are fantastic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I can't remember what songs they were, but I remember hearing The Who do a couple of Rolling Stones songs. If I remember correctly, they recorded them back in the '60s when the Stones were arrested on drug charges to kind of honor them. I don't know if they're on any albums or anything. I just remember hearing them on the radio way back, and as I recall, they did a great job.

Anybody remember this?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I can't remember what songs they were, but I remember hearing The Who do a couple of Rolling Stones songs. If I remember correctly, they recorded them back in the '60s when the Stones were arrested on drug charges to kind of honor them. I don't know if they're on any albums or anything. I just remember hearing them on the radio way back, and as I recall, they did a great job. Anybody remember this?
    Posted by royf19

Under My Thumb was one of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMC9VjtVag

supposedly to raise money to bail Mick & Keith out of the slammer...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

So many good covers!  Not wild about all of them, but that's half the fun.  Going back to the OP's criteria that the remake should be "much better than the original", though, my top 2 would be ELO/Roll Over Beethoven and Jeff Buckley/Hallelujah.  Also, someone mentioned Oleta Adams covering Elton John -- her biggest hit, Get Here, is also a remake, but I can't say I've heard the original (and it probably wouldn't qualify as Rock anyway).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hendrix-All along the watchtower (Dylan)as mentioned earlier
    Hendrix-SGT. Peppers lonely hearts club band (Beatles)
    Joan Jett-Crimson and clover (Tommy James)
    Johnny Winter-Johnny B.Goode(Chuck Berry)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn-Vodoo Chile (Hendrix)
    Manfred Mann-Blinded by the light(Springsteen)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Forgot one.This is for you Zilla:
    Blue Oyster Cult-Roadhouse Blues (The doors)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Forgot one.This for you Zilla: Blue Oyster Cult-Roadhouse Blues (The doors)
    Posted by mrmojo1120

That's pretty good...Robbie Krieger joined them onstage for that.  They also do a great cover of Kick Out the Jams on another live album.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In 2008 there was a VH1 Rock tribute show for The Who.  Pearl Jam did Love Reign O'Er Me and The Real Me.  I thought they did a sensational job.  Eddie Vedder absolutely shreds his vocal chords but never loses it for a moment.  Check it out.  (The intro by Sean Penn lasts just over a minute.)   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjB1r77JljM

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Hendrix-All along the watchtower (Dylan)as mentioned earlier Hendrix-SGT. Peppers lonely hearts club band (Beatles) Joan Jett-Crimson and clover (Tommy James) Johnny Winter-Johnny B.Goode(Chuck Berry) Stevie Ray Vaughn-Vodoo Chile (Hendrix) Manfred Mann-Blinded by the light(Springsteen)
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Mojo, come on! You really think Jaon Jett's version is better then Tommy's?? Even the long version of Tommy's??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? : Mojo, come on! You really think Jaon Jett's version is better then Tommy's?? Even the long version of Tommy's??
    Posted by jaytf25

I should have read your opening post more closely,I thought the thread was about remakes that we thought were great,not better than the originals.By no means do I think the Joan Jett version is better than Tommy James and the Shondells,but I do think it's a pretty good version of it though.For me,the list grows much,much shorter when I think of remakes that are better than the orignal.They would include:
    Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young-Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)
    Manfred Mann-Blinded by the light (Springsteen)
    Santana-Black Magic Woman (Fleetwood Mac)

and a few others

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: What is the best Rock remake of all time? :  I should have read your opening post more closely,I thought the thread was about remakes that we thought were great,not better than the originals.By no means do I think the Joan Jett version is better than Tommy James and the Shondells,but I do think it's a pretty good version of it though.For me,the list grows much,much shorter when I think of remakes that are better than the orignal.They would include: Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young-Woodstock (Joni Mitchell) Manfred Mann-Blinded by the light (Springsteen) Santana-Black Magic Woman (Fleetwood Mac) and a few others
    Posted by mrmojo1120
    That's more like it.

Sections
Shortcuts