What is your favourite-ever song? Why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

What is your favourite-ever song? Why?

[please add a link and lyrics, if possible]

Mine?  "Flexible Flyer" by Hüsker Dü.  By a wide margin.  An allegory of an allegory....about the tragedy of lost innocence.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6ri1H49t4

Down on my flexible flyer
    To the bottom how fast I would go
    Just waiting for me under the tree
    And out in the snow

A cowboy, a nurse or a fireman
    There's so many things that you can be
    You can set bigger goals, but set your soul
    Yeah, set your soul free

Times, places and situations
    Lead us to an early grave
    When we look back we see
    Just what did we save?

If your heart is a flame burning brightly
    You'll have light and you'll never be cold
    And soon you must know that you just grow
    You're not growing old

When we look back we see
    Just what did we save?

When we look back we see
    Just what did we save?

If the wheels of your wagon are rusty
    You can paint them until they are new
    You can roll down a hill, but if you can't
    Then I pity you

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What is your favourite-ever song? Why?

Impossible question.  But if pushed I would have to choose the greatest song by the greatest band - 'A Day in the Life'.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Won't Get Fooled Again

Why? Musicianship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

How can anyone answer this?

Oh wait, it's gotta be "Bikini Girls with Machine Guns" by the Cramps.

LOL.  Although I might plump for "Let's Get F**ked Up" or "Can Your Pusssy Do The Dog" if I were to choose a Cramps song.

I hope we're ok, if not please PM me.

Finally, why do some people think this is such a difficult, invasive question?  I think it's an interesting talking point....the first thought one might have might not be your lock, but this is not exactly the Supreme Court.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Impossible question.  But if pushed I would have to choose the greatest song by the greatest band - 'A Day in the Life'.

Interesting.  I would agree they were the greatest band ever....by a comically wide margin.  But for me, "Day" is waayyyy down my list.....not sure it would crack my top 50 Beatles songs........definitely not in my top 30 Beatles songs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Interesting.  I would agree they were the greatest band ever....by a comically wide margin.  But for me, "Day" is waayyyy down my list.....not sure it would crack my top 50 Beatles songs........definitely not in my top 30 Beatles songs.

[/QUOTE]

Color me unsurprised.  You're such a bloody iconoclastic contrarian, you just might be the incarnation of Dostoevsky's Underground Man.

Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was considering asking for a list of people's top 25.

I can't really nail it down to less than that myself.

I can say that 'White Room' by Cream is really very high on my list but so is 'People Are Strange' by the Doors and 'Glass Onion' by the Beatles (Lennon) , also Dylan's 'Ballad Of A Thin Man' is really a favotite. I am not even listing the Heavy Metal and Punk/New Wave stuff, and I could really give you a huge list if I included Alternatine, Blues and Folk.

'Rockin' The Casbah' is a big favorite too, 'Astronomy' by Blue Oyster Cult, most every Deep Purple song, and just abou everything by Rainbow and Scorpions.

Yes this is an impossible question. The "why" is even harder.

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

mine too is from the great Husker Du: Celebrated Summer.. Just love the sound of the song, the changing of the tempo and the great guitar work

Love and hate was in the air
    Like pollen from a flower
    Somewhere in April time
    They add another hour

I guess I better think up a way to spend my time
    Just when I'm ready to sit inside, it's summertime
    Should I go swimming or get a friend to hang around
    It's back to summer, it's back to basics, hang around

Getting drunk out on the beach
    Or playing in a band
    And getting out of school
    Meant getting out of hand

Was this your celebrated summer?
    Was that your celebrated summer?

Then the sun disintegrates
    Between a wall of clouds
    I summer where I winter at
    No one is allowed there

Do you remember when the first snowfall fell?
    When summer barely had a snowball's chance in hell?

Do you remember when the first snowfall fell?
    Was that your celebrated summer?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Hate Your Friends - The Replacements

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My favorite is "Layla."

It has everything you could ask for in a song.

Great opening guitar lick -- my favorite opening for any song.

Great musicianship overall. It has depth; great lead guitar, an interesting bass line; memorable slide guitar playing, etc.

Passionate lyrics that have meaning.

Soulful singing.

A strong instrumental section at the end of the first part of the song.

Then a good instrumental coda with cool piano playing along with strong lead guitar and slide guitar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm not a huge Elton John fan, but I would say my favorite song is "Tiny Dancer." Love everything about it.

Also a terrific sceen in "Almost Famous."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I'm not a huge Elton John fan, but I would say my favorite song is "Tiny Dancer." Love everything about it.

Also a terrific sceen in "Almost Famous."

Excellent song, but my favorite Elton John song is "Funeral for a Friend/Loves Lie Bleading."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Morning Dew. Not sure if it is my all-time favorite, but it is close. The song written by Canadian, Bonnie Dobson, about the last survivors of a nuclear war.  Many bands have covered the song, but it's the Grateful Dead's live version that really stand's out imo. There is something about Jerry Garcia's intro, the way the song starts off real slow and then builds into a big crescendo, that takes it to another level. It never gets old, no matter how many times I hear it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" (live w/ Duane) and "Cowgirl In The Sand" (live w/ Crazy Horse) both come pretty close...

...but picking just one is too hard.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Morning Dew. Not sure if it is my all-time favorite, but it is close. The song written by Canadian, Bonnie Dobson, about the last survivors of a nuclear war.  Many bands have covered the song, but it's the Grateful Dead's live version that really stand's out imo. There is something about Jerry Garcia's intro, the way the song starts off real slow and then builds into a big crescendo, that takes it to another level. It never gets old, no matter how many times I hear it.

I have a great rendering from the Cow Palace '76 set.

Not my fave GD tune, but right up there.

"Fire On The Mountain" from The Closing Of Winterland is in the running...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Color me unsurprised.  You're such a bloody iconoclastic contrarian, you just might be the incarnation of Dostoevsky's Underground Man.

Laughing

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  I honestly don't think I am, hf, even though I consider that to be a compliment.

I think the Greatest Band Ever's ship sailed on 5 August 1966 (I had to look up the release date of the UK "Revolver", though a friend of mine can tell you the release date, track list, chart peak and much more of every Beatles UK and US release).  Gotta take him to Vegas sometime! 

That was their/the peak musically, IMO....their last gig, sadly, was about 3 weeks later. I feel so sorry for them that they had to stop gigging because of the absurd, hysterical reactions trailblazers get, especially then....at around age 26!  They were probably sick of each other at that point, too....probably spent 300/days a year together, home and away, pressured to keep the songwriting factory at maximum capacity.  And they did...astonishing.

....Lennon/McCartney were a proper songwriting duo for years....on their early tracks it's easy to identify the primary composer (generally) by who sang lead, but IMO the sweet Macca and caustic Lennon collaborated actually and brilliantly.

....but after August 1966 they spent a year dabbling with bollocks religions, El Cid, and other pressures and when they returned....they were largely individual artists.  I'm NOT saying after that they were poor, just that it became increasingly obvious they didn't collaborate.

I don't hate "A Day In The Life"....I don't hate "Hey Jude"....great songs...but IMO they are early examples of their composing split and they don't work for me.

"Abbey Road" is a great record, but so sad for me.....By a wide margin the two best tracks are George's ("Something" & "Here Comes The Sun") because while both M & L had some great tracks they weren't L/M anymore.....it's not the broken relationship (which is sad) it's that their balance was so long gone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

This changes weekly but it currently is Kidney Bingoes by Wire.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have two, and neither is a rock song.

The melody and the lyrics to Irving Berlin's 'Blue Skies' have haunted me forever. I don't remember when I first heard it.  It has a bittersweet feeling to it. I'm taking that one to the grave. 

And in '72 Jerry Jeff Walker wrote 'Hill Country Rain'. I first heard it in '75.  Pushing 40 years now and I still love it. Love that whole album.  Jerry Jeff himself hated the entire album, mostly because he voice was shot. I think he re-did every tune on it, later in life.  He redid 'Hill Country Rain' at least twice.  Cleaner, smoother. And without the je na sais quoi of the first cut. The ragged, yet joyful sound of it struck a chord in me. I couldn't begin to explain why, it just is.

[/QUOTE]

The only song i know by Jerry Jeff Walker is Mr Bojangles. I will have to give Hill Country Rain" a spin if it is on you tube somehow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gotta be Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath or Needle and the Damage done by Neil Young. It's a toss up. Those are the two songs that ever touched my soul.

[/QUOTE]

Very_funny.   I thought there was a truce.   C'mon.   Try a little tenderness. 

What the blank is going on here?    Why are all these old threads being recycled?   I can see I never answered this thread; it's too personal.    :)    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gotta be Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath or Needle and the Damage done by Neil Young. It's a toss up. Those are the two songs that ever touched my soul.

[/QUOTE]

the whole stocking thing is a bit creepy already, don't you think?

Pink Floyd - wish you were here.  

Sections
Shortcuts