What product was in demand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What product was in demand?

I was reading a riveting article today about the addictive qualities and science of "certain" types of food and drink, and there happened to be a lovely bit of trivia re: a few rock musicians.   I thought I'd ask to see if any of you know the answer to the following question; you'll get to add this to your trivia knowledge ... especially since one of the musicians mentioned is a Beatle.  

So here it is:

"John Lennon couldn’t find it in England, so he had cases of it shipped from New York to fuel the “Imagine” sessions. The Beach Boys, ZZ Top and Cher all stipulated in their contract riders that it be put in their dressing rooms when they toured. Hillary Clinton asked for it when she traveled as first lady, and ever after her hotel suites were dutifully stocked."

What did they all want / demand?    Anyone know?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: What product was in demand?

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I was reading a riveting article today about the addictive qualities and science of "certain" types of food and drink, and there happened to be a lovely bit of trivia re: a few rock musicians.   I thought I'd ask to see if any of you know the answer to the following question; you'll get to add this to your trivia knowledge ... especially since one of the musicians mentioned is a Beatle.  

So here it is:

"John Lennon couldn’t find it in England, so he had cases of it shipped from New York to fuel the “Imagine” sessions. The Beach Boys, ZZ Top and Cher all stipulated in their contract riders that it be put in their dressing rooms when they toured. Hillary Clinton asked for it when she traveled as first lady, and ever after her hotel suites were dutifully stocked."

Dr. Pepper -- dont like the drink, to sweet,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

fail

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

So here it is:

Yes, it was Dr. Pepper.   NICE.   I wasn't sure if anyone would get this over night .... but can see you just got here.   :)

It's highly addictive.    What really made my jaw drop additionally is that I had a friend in a degree program who drank it all the time, and could not live without it -- she didn't drink coffee to stay awake, it was always Dr. Pepper.   I'd never known *anyone* who drank it, had hardly ever heard of it, until I met her.   She made jokes about how she always had to have a six pack in the frig.   She said it was hugely popular where she grew up in the South.   

Thought this was interesting in light of the drugs discussion recently, and yet, John Lennon was hooked on this beverage.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Really?   Wooooosh -- how could that have gone over my head?    

Apparently, there's quite a bit of mythology around Dr. Pepper.   Guns N Roses has a big link to Dr. Pepper, too.     No wonder it has such allure and sex appeal  -- considering what a bad alternative it is as a beverage.  :P    

If you're into Dr. Pepper, you're "a Pepper" -- a mark of distinction.   They are proud of calling John Lennon a Pepper.    Looks like Aerosmith has Dr. Pepper on their contracts, too.   Funny.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

So here it is:

"John Lennon couldn’t find it in England, so he had cases of it shipped from New York to fuel the â€ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂœImagine” sessions. The Beach Boys, ZZ Top and Cher all stipulated in their contract riders that it be put in their dressing rooms when they toured. Hillary Clinton asked for it when she traveled as first lady, and ever after her hotel suites were dutifully stocked."

Yes, it was Dr. Pepper.   NICE.   I wasn't sure if anyone would get this over night .... but can see you just got here.   :)

It's highly addictive.    What really made my jaw drop additionally is that I had a friend in a degree program who drank it all the time, and could not live without it -- she didn't drink coffee to stay awake, it was always Dr. Pepper.   I'd never known *anyone* who drank it, had hardly ever heard of it, until I met her.   She made jokes about how she always had to have a six pack in the frig.   She said it was hugely popular where she grew up in the South.   

Thought this was interesting in light of the drugs discussion recently, and yet, John Lennon was hooked on this beverage.   

I took a stab in the dark (literally). I had a musician friend/ roommate from Greenville Mississippi who was hooked on the stuff and he would always say it was John Lennon's favorite drink, so maybe some of his magic would rub off on him. It didn't.   Also, I read a bio on the Beach Boys and it was mentioned.

EDit. To add to the story. This kids Dad ran a seed company in Greenville. Cotton, Corn, peas etc..and I remember eating in the corporate headquarters once, and there were two bins with ice, one full of Beer. and the other full of Dr Pepper, and they all drank the Dr. Pepper with dinner. It was weird. There was water, of course, but you had to ask for it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

I remember before Coors was available east of the Mississippi circa mid 1970s. People used to bring that stuff back on planes as if it was some sort of a high end microbrew or something. Hilarious.

This is very true. My best friends father at the time was a salesman, and used to bring cases of Coors back for us. We thought it was heaven sent. But what do teens know about good beer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I took a stab in the dark (literally). I had a musician friend/ roommate from Greenville Mississippi who was hooked on the stuff and he would always say it was John Lennon's favorite drink, so maybe some of his magic would rub off on him. It didn't.   Also, I read a bio on the Beach Boys and it was mentioned.

EDit. To add to the story. This kids Dad ran a seed company in Greenville. Cotton, Corn, peas etc..and I remember eating in the corporate headquarters once, and there were two bins with ice, one full of Beer. and the other full of Dr Pepper, and they all drank the Dr. Pepper with dinner. It was weird. There was water, of course, but you had to ask for it.

Well, it was a good guess.    Too bad the mere idea of drinking the same drink as John Lennon didn't work wonders for your friend.  Wish life worked that way.  

That *is* very telling re: Dr. Pepper as the main choice of beverage.   As I said earlier, my friend (from Virginia) told me that Dr. Pepper was HUGE in the South; I'm so provincial, I'd never seen anyone drink it here, and I was never a fan of soda pop (my mother called it tonic) at any point in my life anyhow, so I was the last person who'd know.   She always had it in her frig -- along with a six pack of Budweiser (or Bud Lite).  She wasn't overweight in the least, either.   

I am totally into learning about regional foods and drink.   I'm on a professional listserv, with participants from all over the US (primarily), but some are international as well; every year we have a "virtual picnic" where listserv members chime in with what they're going to bring from their neck of the woods.  It's so much fun to read all of the entries.   Some of the foods are not very appetizing ---  Is that what they really eat?   Makes me wonder.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I like Dr. Pepper, many people hate it. It tends to be one of those things you either love or hate.

Addictive?....I don't know about that. I will have Dr. Pepper on those rare occasions when I eat at KFC, Wendy's or Burger King. I never got "hooked" on it , where I get the jitters or something when I can't have it, and I don't much think about it unless I find myself in one of those fast food joints...three maybe four times a year. I can walk by the soda aisle at the store without buying it or any kind of soda.

Coffee is my only weakness, when it comes to being addicted to something...perhaps it's the caffeine in the soft drink that's addictive?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I like Dr. Pepper, many people hate it. It tends to be one of those things you either love or hate.

Addictive?....I don't know about that. I will have Dr. Pepper on those rare occasions when I eat at KFC, Wendy's or Burger King. I never got "hooked" on it , where I get the jitters or something when I can't have it, and I don't much think about it unless I find myself in one of those fast food joints...three maybe four times a year. I can walk by the soda aisle at the store without buying it or any kind of soda.

Coffee is my only weakness, when it comes to being addicted to something...perhaps it's the caffeine in the soft drink that's addictive?

Yes, Zilla, it was created and developed to produce a craving -- through scientific methods.  The article I read was quite an indictment re: the development and marketing of junk / processed / less than healthy foods to the American public.   There are ways to develop foods not only to create "bliss" and reactions to your taste buds, but even the color of the product (and certainly, the color of Dr. Pepper, believe it or not) are factors in taste tests.   You, and certainly I, can walk by the cans of soda, but we're just two people -- you'd be shocked as to the true reasons why people have problems giving up certain foods and how they were developed to create cravings that are addictive.  It's rather shocking what the food industry does (lacking all sense of morality ...) to sell food products.  

"The selling of food matters as much as the food itself."  Let's put it this way: at Coke, they call their biggest consumers, "heavy users" and the executive who once handled billions of dollars of Coke's money, who ultimately tried to convince the company to stop marketing to public schools (he had a conscience) was called an "embarrassment to the company" and was summarily fired.     It's DEEP.   :)

Sections
Shortcuts