What should be the official state rock song?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What should be the official state rock song?

Is Modern Lover's "Roadrunner" the top choice? What about Aerosmith's "Dream On?" Do you think a Boston-based band is missing from the mix? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCP4Ever. Show BCP4Ever's posts

Re: What should be the official state rock song?

"More than a Feeling" by Boston

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from globie123. Show globie123's posts

I hadn't heard, but it's great that the legislature has finally cleared that overloaded "IN" basket and resolved the many important issues facing the state, and now has time for trivial pursuits like the state's official rock song. The basket must be brimming with candidates for official rap song, official bluegrass song, official opera aria, etc. Good thing we have a legislature that's up to this daunting task.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eastqtr. Show Eastqtr's posts

Are you kidding me..........we are in debt up to our eyeballs and beyond and the leadership now wants to add $1.9B more.  Let alone the Chelsea Housing Authority; the State Drug Lab, the Lt Gov and his back door deals and the 3-4 previous Speakers either convicted and/or disbarred or in jail and the Probation Dept issues still to be understood. 

And those are only some of the ones we know about and I am sure many more that we do not know about

And we have time and money for this? Please!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lessismore. Show Lessismore's posts

The official song should be "Boston - My Home Town" by Freddy Cannon.  It's a fabulous song that mentions several Boston neighborhoods as well as Massachusetts. 

Freddy Cannon - Boston " My Home Town" - YouTube

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from angdavison. Show angdavison's posts

Either Dream On or Dirty Water.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phunkyjay. Show phunkyjay's posts

"Roadrunner" is great. Buy I have to ask, are the good folks at Stop and Shop financing this debate?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bdoncaster1. Show bdoncaster1's posts

Yes, Roadrunner -- it's a rock and roll love poem to Massachusetts (not just Boston).  Love Aerosmith, but Dream On a) isn't about Mass at all and b) was written in NY by a New Yorker who later moved to Boston.  

And yeah, the legislature has more important work to do -- but once in a while a cultural statement is important too!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yeibichei. Show yeibichei's posts

State of Confusion - Phil Collins

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Veal66. Show Veal66's posts

Taxman by George Harrison

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danexpat. Show Danexpat's posts

In response to BCP4Ever's comment:

Or Rock & Roll Band - actually mentions Boston and Hyannis.

Plus, unlike Roadrunner, Boston was listenable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HSD5555. Show HSD5555's posts

Walk This Way.  Local group, breakthrough genre song, good attitude.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from loopstah. Show loopstah's posts

WHY does there need to be a desigated "state song" ?

WHO CARES???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fsmith95112. Show fsmith95112's posts

In response to globie123's comment:

I hadn't heard, but it's great that the legislature has finally cleared that overloaded "IN" basket and resolved the many important issues facing the state, and now has time for trivial pursuits like the state's official rock song. The basket must be brimming with candidates for official rap song, official bluegrass song, official opera aria, etc. Good thing we have a legislature that's up to this daunting task.

Sometimes a little levity is a good thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyBuzzard. Show DirtyBuzzard's posts

Who cares!  Just more wasted time by our elected officials!  How about the dopes under the dome tackle something important like getting the budget under control and elimintating waste!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mandog33. Show mandog33's posts

Shipping up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmd123. Show kmd123's posts

I think any small business owner trying to make it in this state would agree that "Dream On" is most approriate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from motelsix66. Show motelsix66's posts

"Roadrunner" = old school WBCN, Oedipus, Charles Laquidara. "Dream On" = WZLX, Chuck Playlist, Carter Allen. Not that there's anything wrong with the 'ZLX boys, but they're nowhere near as prolific, controversial or relevant to Boston's cultural history. 'BCN was likely the first station to play either song, while 'ZLX dedicated the past couple decades to playing Dream On (and countelss others) until your ears bled, and even if you liked it at one point you got sick of hearing it. I know I am.

Roadrunner, for the win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonRamone. Show RonRamone's posts

In response to Danexpat's comment:

In response to BCP4Ever's comment:

Or Rock & Roll Band - actually mentions Boston and Hyannis.

Plus, unlike Roadrunner, Boston was listenable.

Rock & Roll Band? That song was a total fabrication. They never played clubs. Boston was done by Tom Schultz in a basement, with Brad Delp singing. That whole story was just that, a story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

The Boston University band plays "Shipping Up" before the start of each period at hockey games and also plays "Dirty Water" at some point. Those are two songs that have crept into the local culture, so to speak. I am totally unfamiliar with "Roadrunner" and "Dream On" is more of a national rock song.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonRamone. Show RonRamone's posts

Yes, Roadrunner is a vastly superior song to anything else mentioned here.

It's not Boston-centric like the other songs mentioned. It's a not a jingle, it was a love letter to Massachusetts. 

But people have no taste, musically, so they don't understand the influence Jonathan Richman had on other musicians.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts