What should be the official state rock song?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danexpat. Show Danexpat's posts

Re: What should be the official state rock song?

In response to RonRamone's comment:

In response to Danexpat's comment:

In response to BCP4Ever's comment:

"More than a Feeling" by Boston

Or Rock & Roll Band - actually mentions Boston and Hyannis.

Plus, unlike Roadrunner, Boston was listenable.

Rock & Roll Band? That song was a total fabrication. They never played clubs. Boston was done by Tom Schultz in a basement, with Brad Delp singing. That whole story was just that, a story.

Yeah, I hate Eleanor Rigby because it's made up. And Led Zeppelin was full of crap; you can't actually buy a real Stairway to Heaven. And Argo sucked because they took liberties with the real story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 98hj. Show 98hj's posts

I believe Roadrunner was heard at the very beginning of the last 3 stooges movie. There's a joke there somewhere.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CascaRufio. Show CascaRufio's posts

In response to 98hj's comment:

I believe Roadrunner was heard at the very beginning of the last 3 stooges movie. There's a joke there somewhere.

the joke is that the Three Stooges couldn't count to 6.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jprocks. Show jprocks's posts

Roadrunner all the way.  Ive always wondered why Bostonians didnt embrace Jonathan Richman more. Dropkick Murphy's? Sweet Caroline?  Dream On? ugh. Why? Richman's got several songs dedicated to Boston.  Government Center, New England, Lonely Financial Zone, etc.  

Dream On has nothing to do with Boston and Aerosmith is an awful band.  

Dirty Water is played out and the Charles River is clean now. So that's off the table.

I submit a moratorium on Dropkick Murphey's and Sweet Caroine and any other song played at Fenway park or any other sporting event.  That Freddy Cannon song is pretty good though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

This even makes the local news....really, no other pressing items that take priority??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from my2centsalso. Show my2centsalso's posts

Most definitely "Roadrunner".

I like Boston but would give Tom Scholz NOTHING because of previous episodes of big ego

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achilles37. Show Achilles37's posts

"Gotta Get Out Of Worcester" by Roger Salloom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlieMTA. Show CharlieMTA's posts

The Most Upbeat Song to Signal a Boston Victory is Dirty Water

The Most Needed Song to Inspire a Crowd for a comeback at a game is Shipping Up

The oldest and your Dad likes and Springsteen Loves it is Dirty Water

The Best Rock n Roll State Song  not Boston Centri) song with the Coolest Vibe is Roadrunner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnmHgnPPkkQ

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from city.council@cityofboston.gov. Show city.council@cityofboston.gov's posts

Dream On by Aerosmith

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from policestate. Show policestate's posts

Roadrunner

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slmull. Show slmull's posts

In response to Eastqtr's comment:

Are you kidding me..........we are in debt up to our eyeballs and beyond and the leadership now wants to add $1.9B more.  Let alone the Chelsea Housing Authority; the State Drug Lab, the Lt Gov and his back door deals and the 3-4 previous Speakers either convicted and/or disbarred or in jail and the Probation Dept issues still to be understood. 

And those are only some of the ones we know about and I am sure many more that we do not know about

And we have time and money for this? Please!!!!

What does this have to to with the song

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrissygm. Show chrissygm's posts

Roadrunners all the way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Pixies - Debaser

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lessismore. Show Lessismore's posts

In response to Dot02116's comment:

In response to Lessismore's comment:

The official song should be "Boston - My Home Town" by Freddy Cannon.  It's a fabulous song that mentions several Boston neighborhoods as well as Massachusetts. 

Freddy Cannon - Boston " My Home Town" - YouTube

Yes, because a song about Boston is a perfect choice for a Massachusetts state song.

The song is primarily about Boston but it also mentions Massachusetts twice.  It has a catchy old school feel to it and would be a good choice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fellswoop. Show fellswoop's posts

Idea for a related survey: what should be the Seventh Inning Stretch song at Fenway?  A little thought should convince you that anything that mentions Mass. or Boston explicitly would be tacky.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

U-Mass by the Pixies.

Though it does have that word in it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

U-Mass by the Pixies.

Though it does have that word in it.

Which one(s)...?

I do so love my (unofficial) alma mater.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Which one(s)...?

I do so love my (unofficial) alma mater.

It's educational!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4319963. Show user_4319963's posts

Roadrunner...no question. Aerosmith were good in the 70's, but they kind of stink now. I don't think boston needs to be associated with Aerosmith as they are now.  What the heck does Dream On have to do with Boston anyhow? Roadrunner roadrunner.....driving down route 128...I got the radio on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think anyone that engages in conversations about Rock'n'Roll state songs, or Rock'n'Roll Halls of Fame, ad nauseum should have been blown up along with Vince Lombardi High School.  Or sterilised at puberty to improve the Rock'n'Roll gene pool.  At a minimum, forced to stay after school and write on the chalk board over and over "I am as Rock'n'Roll as Billy Joel".  ;-)

Further, Ed Cobb was an LA-based songwriter and manager.  He wrote three very well-known songs among many others:  "Tainted Love", "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White", and "Dirty Water".  He also managed an LA-based band known as The Standells.

The Standells have virtually nothing to do with Boston.  I like them, BTW, and they are still gigging and worth seeing again now that Dick Dodd (skins/vox) has rejoined them.

IMO, the greatest Boston band of the 60s, by far, and one of Boston's greatest ever was the Remains.  But pop history decided otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ne_H5HL88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyILo4qb4c