What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?

Take the survey -- just for fun, of course (but why not see where we stand on the matter?)  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?

No problem voting 'Huge Fan' though the description "One of the greatest bands ever" seems more apropo for the 90% perfection criteria. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I was forced to vote that 90% was crap, when I don't think that....it's just that I love 10% (less actually, just the Syd Barrett years) and dislike the rest intensely. ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's funny but I was doing a little reading on my favorite anti- hero Johnny Rotten to sort of refresh my memory before starting my thread. There was the story of how John got the job as Sex Pistols frontman. He was wearing a Pink Floyd T-shirt with the words "I hate" written in marker above "Pink Floyd."

So, we could guess that back in 1974-75 or so John Lydon would have voted "#6 Total crap...etc."

I am not sure if I am a wierdo when it comes to music , but I might be. I like extremely loud and noisy rock , Heavy Metal, Punk, Alternative, etc. I also like ELP and almost anything Prog Rock. I especially like the songs like "Ces't la Vie" and many of the softer songs by Yes and other prominent Prog acts.

Ritchie Blackmore once said he likes extremes in music , loud hard rock or classical pieces. He was not a fan of Grand Funk Railroad and all the other stuff in between. But. Unlike Ritchie , I pretty much like the hard , loud stuff , the inbetween stuff and the softer stuff (even most ABBA songs).

I can't agree with John Lydon or Ritchie Blackmore, even though they are two of my favorites ( in their own way). I like Pink Floyd...alot....I would certainly list myself as either #2 or #3. Just below lunatic or huge fan. I wouldn't say #1, because I am not nuts about some of the earlier stuff...but it's good....to quote a Tom Petty song: "Anything that's Rock 'n Roll's fine"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Top 5 band for me, and likely not going anywhere any time soon.

Yet, I chose #3.

What can I say?  I guess I like depressing, morose lyrics and atmospheric 20-minute instrumentals...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm a very big fan, in spite of any criticisms I've levelled.  They're not in my top ten favorite bands, but they would probably be in my top 15.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

While I'm not a fan of all Pink Floyd's music,there's a lot of songs I would consider brilliant.Maybe it's because I grew up with Dark Side of the Moon and have a lot of memories associated with it,that I believe it to be about as close to a perfect album as there is.Absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time.Some of their earlier stuff didn't really interest me.Animals and The Final Cut were alright,but nothing to get excited about IMHO.
        As far as my fandom,I have to put myself somewhere between the Okay level and Huge fan.I guess that makes me comfortably numb.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

All I really know about the band comes from Dark Side of the Moon (I have the cd) and The Wall (which I once recorded off the radio). My take is very much influenced by the turn my taste in music took during my days as a college English major. At first, I was into to all kinds of 'meaningful" music, from sensitive singer songwriters to heavier stuff like Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. The common denominator was lyrics that were serious and attempted to be poetic or literary. After graduating, I "lost the faith" so to speak. I started to find all things heavy and literary to be pretentious and to put it plainly, just a bunch of nonsense. From then on, I found myself draw to simple, more basic and emotional forms of music that actually hearkened back to the music I first listened to as a youngster; Motown and Beatles singles, hits from the early 60's and some garage rock of the late 60's. Music that was fun and exciting, and not too heavy with meaning. Lyrics took a back seat to overall sound. Now, I can listen to all types of music, but I still never fully embrace the heavy songs like I used to. So when I'm feeling all serious, I can still put on Dark Side of the Moon and get a good gloom on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I voted for No. 2. They're a top 4 band -- or a four- or five-way tie for first.

David -- I understand what your saying about heavy or literary things as being pretentiious, but to me, that's why I like variety. Sometimes I'm into the more simplistic or mindless music, other times I appreciate more. I wouldn't call the former pretentious. I never really liked that term. I look at it like this. Everyone has different things that inspires them when they make/write music, and that's fine by me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Im the one who voted total crap.. Now I am not saying that they are not talented because obvioulsy they are. But they have just never done a thing for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?:
    [QUOTE]No problem voting 'Huge Fan' though the description "One of the greatest bands ever" seems more apropo for the 90% perfection criteria. 
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

Good point, and if I'd spent more time on it, I probably would have defined the categories differently.  

Then again, there's something about the "off the cuff" approach that gets the job done at times, and this was probably one of them.  :)

I didn't want to define "Lunatic" level -- I thought people would self-identify as a PF lunatic -- or not -- and allow an open-ended definition.  To me, it would be someone who has listened to them for years, and still listens to them often.  And / or, someone who cannot find any fault with their music,  finds them extraordinary on all levels, including what they stood for, how influential they have been and still are, you know, a drill-down to the extreme.  

In any event, the results of the survey are incredibly diverse, and the comments follow suit.   Extremely interesting, to say the least.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Im the one who voted total crap.. Now I am not saying that they are not talented because obvioulsy they are. But they have just never done a thing for me.
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

I made the category just for you (well, not entirely) -- and would have been disappointed if it hadn't scored any votes.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : I made the category just for you (well, not entirely) -- and would have been disappointed if it hadn't scored any votes.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

haha thaks.. I feel honored.. Again I am not taking anything away from them or their fans.. I just am bored with them. There are many legends I cant listen to (Stones, Zeppelin, CSN, Van Halen). I guess I just don't have an ear for them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I consider myself a fan but would not rate them in the top 10. Top 15, if I do not include Motown, Soul and The Blues, definitely top 25 - see below.

If I had to make a top 15, it would look like this and of course it would be subject to change in a heartbeat:

The Beatles
    The Who
    Queen
    Led Zeppelin
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Neil Young
    Bob Dylan
    The Kinks
    Rolling Stones
    Yardbirds
    Buddy Holly
    Cream
    The Clash
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Aerosmith
    Deep Purple
    Black Sabbath
    James Brown
    The Temptations
    Lil Ritchie
    Pink Floyd
    Elvis
    Smokey Robinson
    Cheap Trick
    Bo Didley

I did not list the Blues influences. My list is definitely more subjective than I normally try and be.

Therefore I am not sure you can call my list completely objective. But I did try - if I had to make a list of my top 250 artists, Elvis would be nowhere near the list. I never liked him, but I respect his importance to this artform. And Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Prince and the NY Dolls would all be in my top 25.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]One of the most IMPORTANT bands of the 20th century. How's that? I will also call Roger Waters one of the most important song writers of the 20th century. Time does not allow for the import of David Gilmour's melodic solos (melodies within themselves). Not really a big fan here :-)
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Lunatic -- and loving it.  :D

BTW, there are students writing term papers on Pink Floyd's work -- and not for courses in music -- but for their English / literature classes.   So the appreciation is being taught and studied --  the words, the meaning, the historical context --  the gift that keeps on giving, with no end in sight.    :)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]One of the most IMPORTANT bands of the 20th century. How's that? I will also call Roger Waters one of the most important song writers of the 20th century. Time does not allow for the import of David Gilmour's melodic solos (melodies within themselves). Not really a big fan here :-)
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Read the lyrics of some songs and try not to have the melody in your head. Some -- Time, for exampe -- read like great poetry.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.
    Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. 
    Etc.

My favorite line comes from the Animal Album in the song, "Pigs (Three Different Ones):
    "You radiate cold shafts of broken glass"

in fact, the entire lyrics to that song are incredible.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : Read the lyrics of some songs and try not to have the melody in your head. Some -- Time, for exampe -- read like great poetry. Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.  Etc.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Time is a classic example of the band's lyrics.  Eloquent, but morose to the point of being humorous.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
    The time is gone, the song is over,
    Thought I'd something more to say.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One of my favorite Floyd songs from The Wall isn't actually on the album but exists only in the film and on live versions.  It's also one of the best articulated, most interesting scenes in the film, IMO. 

(I should also note this is one song that I think points directly to Floyd's large influence on Radiohead, e.g. OK Computer.)

"Empty Spaces / What Shall We Do Now"

What shall we use to fill the empty spaces
    Where waves of hunger roar
    Shall we set out across this sea of faces
    In search of more and more applause

Shall we buy a new guitar
    Shall we drive a more powerful car
    Shall we work straight-through the night
    Shall we get into fights
    Leave the lights on
    Drop bombs
    Do tours of the East
    Contract diseases
    Bury bones
    Break up homes
    Send flowers by phone
    Take to drink
    Go to shrinks
    Give up meat
    Rarely sleep
    Keep people as pets
    Train dogs
    Race rats
    Fill the attic with cash
    Bury treasure
    Store up leisure
    But never relax at all
    With our backs to the wall

(P.S. If you don't know the song, the lyrics somehow don't do justice to the melodies and inflections.  An electrifying piece.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]One of my favorite Floyd songs from The Wall isn't actually on the album but exists only in the film and on live versions.  It's also one of the best articulated, most interesting scenes in the film, IMO.  (I should also note this is one song that I think points directly to Floyd's large influence on Radiohead, e.g. OK Computer .) "Empty Spaces / What Shall We Do Now" What shall we use to fill the empty spaces Where waves of hunger roar Shall we set out across this sea of faces In search of more and more applause Shall we buy a new guitar Shall we drive a more powerful car Shall we work straight-through the night Shall we get into fights Leave the lights on Drop bombs Do tours of the East Contract diseases Bury bones Break up homes Send flowers by phone Take to drink Go to shrinks Give up meat Rarely sleep Keep people as pets Train dogs Race rats Fill the attic with cash Bury treasure Store up leisure But never relax at all With our backs to the wall (P.S. If you don't know the song, the lyrics somehow don't do justice to the melodies and inflections.  An electrifying piece.)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I checked to see if I had this in my library. You're right it is very good. On studio version of the "The Wall," it goes "Empty Spaces" (the first four lines you have above) and segues into "Young Lust."

But if you have "The Wall Live "1980-81)," it goes from Empty Spaces right into "What Shall We Do Now." Then there's a break. Waters says, "welcome," then introduces "Young Lust."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : I checked to see if I had this in my library. You're right it is very good. On studio version of the "The Wall," it goes "Empty Spaces" (the first four lines you have above) and segues into "Young Lust." But if you have "The Wall Live "1980-81)," it goes from Empty Spaces right into "What Shall We Do Now." Then there's a break. Waters says, "welcome," then introduces "Young Lust."
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

For years, I had a cassette version of The Wall which was recorded straight from the VHS (!) that included this track.  I now have a digital copy of the song, but I don't know its origins.

I can imagine that it might appear on one of the commemorative re-releases of the album, but not sure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : For years, I had a cassette version of The Wall which was recorded straight from the VHS (!) that included this track.  I now have a digital copy of the song, but I don't know its origins. I can imagine that it might appear on one of the commemorative re-releases of the album, but not sure.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the version I was talking about was released in 2000. It was a live concert album (CD) from their tour in '80-'81.

The official name of the album is "Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81." Here's the album cover.

It has two songs on it that weren't on the original album, "What Shall We Do Now" and "The Last Few Bricks." The latter is an instrumental bridge. The other song was supposed to be on the album but was removed at the last minute.