What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?

In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : Yeah, the version I was talking about was released in 2000. It was a live concert album (CD) from their tour in '80-'81. The official name of the album is "Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81." Here's the album cover. It has two songs on it that weren't on the original album, "What Shall We Do Now" and "The Last Few Bricks." The latter is an instrumental bridge. The other song was supposed to be on the album but was removed at the last minute.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have that one.

But prior to that live release, I believe, it was only available in the film, which is where I got it.  The same was true with 'When The Tygers Broke Free'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : Yes, I have that one. But prior to that live release, I believe, it was only available in the film, which is where I got it.  The same was true with 'When The Tygers Broke Free'.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

It's funny -- after all these years, I have never seen The Wall movie. I remember seeing the Live at Pompeii (sp?) moving at the midnight movie back in the early '80s when I was in high school, but for some reason, never watched The Wall -- at least all the way through.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : It's funny -- after all these years, I have never seen The Wall movie. I remember seeing the Live at Pompeii (sp?) moving at the midnight movie back in the early '80s when I was in high school, but for some reason, never watched The Wall -- at least all the way through.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Once during an all-nighter, while quite inebriated on a variety of substances, we watched the movie twice, back-to-back, in between shouts at the moon, card games and other distractions.

After the second showing, we turned off the TV and turned on the radio...

...only to find the station was playing The Wall...in its entirety.

And so we listened.

By the very end, 'bouncing off the walls' would have been an improvement.

Not for nothing, but Roger Ebert holds the movie in quite high regard as a "serious rock film".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I only went to see this movie because I liked the album so much. But Bob Geldof was in it and I was a Boomtown Rats fan also.

The movie is nothing special, though. I prefer using my imagination. Very few Rock related movies excite me. I hate the Beatles movies, the Elvis movies are kind of lame also. The Doors movie with Val Kilmer as Jim was okay, but nothing I'd want to see again. I prefer documentries and live concert footage to Rock movies , especially ones with animated scenes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Type of Pink Floyd Fan are You? : Once during an all-nighter, while quite inebriated on a variety of substances, we watched the movie twice, back-to-back, in between shouts at the moon, card games and other distractions. After the second showing, we turned off the TV and turned on the radio... ...only to find the station was playing The Wall...in its entirety. And so we listened. By the very end, 'bouncing off the walls' would have been an improvement. Not for nothing, but Roger Ebert holds the movie in quite high regard as a "serious rock film".
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Back when I was in high school, there was a local cinaplex that would have Midnight movies on Friday and/or Saturday night(s). They wouldn't be current releases. It's when Rocky Horror would be played and other stuff -- Live at Pompeii for example, or some horror flicks. Can't remember what else. But now that I think of it, I think we did go see The Wall once. I was so trashed that I dozed off during it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I only went to see this movie because I liked the album so much. But Bob Geldof was in it and I was a Boomtown Rats fan also. The movie is nothing special, though. I prefer using my imagination. Very few Rock related movies excite me. I hate the Beatles movies, the Elvis movies are kind of lame also. The Doors movie with Val Kilmer as Jim was okay, but nothing I'd want to see again. I prefer documentries and live concert footage to Rock movies , especially ones with animated scenes.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I actually like Elvis' movies. Many follow the same formula and are simple, mindless entertainment -- not great, but an enjoyable way to kill 90 minutes or so. But there are a few that tried to be something more and were pretty good. Elvis has his moments and could have been a decent movie actor if given better material.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]It's funny but I was doing a little reading on my favorite anti- hero Johnny Rotten to sort of refresh my memory before starting my thread. There was the story of how John got the job as Sex Pistols frontman. He was wearing a Pink Floyd T-shirt with the words "I hate" written in marker above "Pink Floyd." So, we could guess that back in 1974-75 or so John Lydon would have voted "#6 Total crap...etc." I am not sure if I am a wierdo when it comes to music , but I might be. I like extremely loud and noisy rock , Heavy Metal, Punk, Alternative, etc. I also like ELP and almost anything Prog Rock. I especially like the songs like "Ces't la Vie" and many of the softer songs by Yes and other prominent Prog acts. Ritchie Blackmore once said he likes extremes in music , loud hard rock or classical pieces. He was not a fan of Grand Funk Railroad and all the other stuff in between. But. Unlike Ritchie , I pretty much like the hard , loud stuff , the inbetween stuff and the softer stuff (even most ABBA songs). I can't agree with John Lydon or Ritchie Blackmore, even though they are two of my favorites ( in their own way). I like Pink Floyd...alot....I would certainly list myself as either #2 or #3. Just below lunatic or huge fan. I wouldn't say #1, because I am not nuts about some of the earlier stuff...but it's good....to quote a Tom Petty song: "Anything that's Rock 'n Roll's fine"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]So I have this friend in San Francisco, Frank Gallagher, who used to be a Rock 'n Roll manager, and knew Johnny Rotten back in the day. He managed Buddy Guy among others. One of the stories he always likes to tell is how Johnny always carried business cards that said "You have been partied on by John Lydon" in case he puked on anyone. Sorry for the lack of Pink Floyd content. FTR I loved Dark Side of the Moon, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Animals and Wish You Were Here, everything else to me was kind of meh.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Echoes, love the version from Webley 1974

Almost everyday you fall
    Upon my waking eyes,
    Inviting and inciting me
    To rise.
    And through the window in the wall
    Come streaming in on sunlight wings
    A million bright ambassadors of morning.

And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....

Free Four

The memories of a man in his old age
    Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
    You shuffle in gloom of the sickroom
    And talk to yourself as you die.

Sections
Shortcuts