What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?

Let's be serious for a minute. Can you name the album that changed the face of music forever? For me the album would be built for speed. And if you don't know who it's by then you're not a rock 'n rolla. There are a couple of other nominations in my book though. Chuck Berry's Chess work was groundbreaking and the Killer shone like the, well, sun at Sun. But Built for speed was a groundbreaking effort, especially in the year Ronald Reagan was elected president of the USA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?

In Response to What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?:
    [QUOTE]Let's be serious for a minute. Can you name the album that changed the face of music forever? For me the album would be built for speed. And if you don't know who it's by then you're not a rock 'n rolla. There are a couple of other nominations in my book though. Chuck Berry's Chess work was groundbreaking and the Killer shone like the, well, sun at Sun. But Built for speed was a groundbreaking effort, especially in the year Ronald Reagan was elected president of the USA.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll bite, out of curiousity....Reagan was elected in 1980. Built for Speed by the Stray Cats was released in 1982. Not a bad record, but please tell me I am missing something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am confused.

And the greatest is still Revolver by the Beatles

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Ok if you are saying built for speed by the stay cats is the best album ever, I have to wonder how many albums you have heard.

I would go with either Rubber Soul, or 2 Bob Dylan albums, blonde on blonde and highway 61 revisited.

If you want a great album released about the same time Reagan came to office I would go with London Calling I think it came out in late 79.  But it might have been 1980.

Or if you want a great album from 1982 try Springsteen's Nebraska album.

On the other hand if there is an album named built for speed not by the stray cats I would love to know who it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I responded a while back, but then I realized carnie was kidding and deleted it. At least I hope he's kidding! Or maybe there's another album I don't know of called "Built for Speed."

And yes, Jessey, "Revolver" gets my vote, too. Think we had this discussion a while back and both agreed that while many believe the answer to be "Sgt. Pepper's," "Revolver" is the album that set that up.

I'd also throw in the mix "Highway 61 Revisited," "Meet the Beatles," "Dark Side of the Moon," "London Calling" and "Songs in the Key of Life."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Highly subjective.

You won't get the same answer from 3 people out of 100.

You could take a poll. But it would have to be a widespread response to get an accurate read on what is "most popular"...not necessarily what is the "greatest." Sales would indicate Michael Jackson's Thriller or Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon , but neither is "Rock and Roll" anyway. Jackson's effort is pop, Floyd's is a Progressive studio masterpiece that can hardly be described as 'Rock and Roll."

I couldn't give you less than 300 "greatest rock and roll albums of all time.

No way, no how.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?:
    [QUOTE] And yes, Jessey, "Revolver" gets my vote, too. Think we had this discussion a while back and both agreed that while many believe the answer to be "Sgt. Pepper's," "Revolver" is the album that set that up. Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

revolver just aged better than sgt pepper

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time? : revolver just aged better than sgt pepper
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I think that's a large part of it. Although "A Day in the Life" still takes my breath away. Honestly, take that song off "Pepper's" and it would be interesting to see how highly regarded it would be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There's another thread about the difference rock-and-roll and rock, and jesseyeric said it was that rock-and-roll was the stuff you could dance to, which I thought was pretty good.  On that basis the Beatles best rock-and-roll album for me is A Hard Day's Night.  A lot of good dance songs on that album. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time? : revolver just aged better than sgt pepper

Which makes it the better album, IMHO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]There's another thread about the difference rock-and-roll and rock, and jesseyeric said it was that rock-and-roll was the stuff you could dance to, which I thought was pretty good.  On that basis the Beatles best rock-and-roll album for me is A Hard Day's Night.  A lot of good dance songs on that album. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

We're still repairing the house from the last time I tried to dance.

This is why I like Progressive and Heavy Metal so much.

Phil Collins said it best "I can't dance."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time? : We're still repairing the house from the last time I tried to dance. This is why I like Progressive and Heavy Metal so much. Phil Collins said it best "I can't dance."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I can't really dance either, Zilla.  When I try I look exactly like Eddie Murphy's humorous impression of how white guys dance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

They Called it Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMZW9HQZ_s

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

back when I was alive, I was a dancing fool, I may be totally wrong, though

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Hard to pick one but if I had a gun to my head, it's one of these 3:

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]back when I was alive, I was a dancing fool, I may be totally wrong, though

Oh, I didn't know Frank Zappa's ghost could log in here.

Howdy Frank! How's it on the other side?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time? : We're still repairing the house from the last time I tried to dance.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

It was really nice of The Pogo to come along and try and save white people from themselves . . .

but seriously . . .

just don't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The Clash - London Calling

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

No Album had a bigger impact on music and popular culture than Pepper. Hek, even classical composers were listening and praising it's achievement. I can't recall any other rock album having such a broad impact on society as a whole.

Just on overall impact I have to say that's still #1 in my book!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, I don't know about "changing the face of music" or any of that stuff, but I do know that if you pointed a gun at me and said I could only have one album to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be The Wild, the Innocent and the E Streeth Shuffle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I went to an outdoor concert in Topsham, Maine sometime in the early eighties. The bands there were The Joe Perry Project, Joan Jett, a local band named Katahdin and a new band from the UK, the Stray Cats.

The Stray Cats were billed as a punk rock band playing for the first time in America. (I've since found out they were an American band who later moved to the UK.) Then something funny happened, they started playing. It was not what the rowdy crowd was expecting and they were booed mercilessly. I kind of felt bad for them, but they were out of place compared to the other bands they were performing with.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I went to an outdoor concert in Topsham, Maine sometime in the early eighties. The bands there were The Joe Perry Project, Joan Jett, a local band named Katahdin and a new band from the UK, the Stray Cats. The Stray Cats were billed as a punk rock band playing for the first time in America. (I've since found out they were an American band who later moved to the UK.) Then something funny happened, they started playing. It was not what the rowdy crowd was expecting and they were booed mercilessly. I kind of felt bad for them, but they were out of place compared to the other bands they were performing with.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the Stary Cats were not "punk rock."

Around the late seventies when punk rock started to morph into "new wave" and early forms of what would be called "alternative rock", and then later with MTV, many bands were labeled as "punk" bands. These include : The Pretenders, Devo, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ( there was a punk band named the Heartbreakers, but it wasn't Tom Petty's band...I think that may have been the early confusion), Graham Parker, Joe Jackson, Joan Jett, Rockpile ( Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe band), U2, etc.

I think maybe the rock critics and press, had many staffers who really didn't understand some of the newer styles. They just labeled anything that wasn't "classic rock" as "punk."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I really wish this thread could just die. You guys are torturimg me. Every time I go back to this thread I get embarassed all over again. I guess that's what you get for posting while stoned... Embarassed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Put a gun to my head it's Layla. Live album? Got to go with the Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East.