What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?

This is an exercise in futility.  And Rubber Soul set up Revolver. George Harrison once said he thinks of them as the same album and couldn't remember which songs were on which album.  Take away "Michelle" and Soul beats Revolver.  But  Pepper beats them both and Abbey Road beats them all.

I remember that Joe Perry Project show in Topsham.  Stray Cats were not a good fit but that crowd was extra ignorant because Brian Setzer was smokin' hot for their short set. But a rockabilly band - especially when rockabiily had not really been popular since the 50s at that time - just didn't fit with the harder rocking, big-drum-sound bands.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

This thread just won't die, to my everlasting shame. But with a gun to my head I'd probably pick Bulit For Speed. Rev It Up And Go will always be one of my favorite songs ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'll go with Iggy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenjaMoe. Show BenjaMoe's posts

remove any notion of being sick of it and whatnot, but Dark Side of the Moon is the most complete album ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Clash's first album. the Clash

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldjcole. Show pauldjcole's posts

I would have to say the Who's "Who's Next?" Every song is amazing and the last couple of songs ,"Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" may be the best closing songs of an album ever. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
    Just never get tired of listening to it.  Awesome!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: What was the greatest rock and roll album of all time?:
    [QUOTE]remove any notion of being sick of it and whatnot, but Dark Side of the Moon is the most complete album ever
    Posted by BenjaMoe[/QUOTE]

yes, but rock n' roll? i dont know about that...sometimes, yes, but if it is actually considered rock n' roll it changed the face of it. to me there is a big difference between rock music and rock n' roll music. the latter being much more deeply rooted in blues progression and styling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlancisi. Show mlancisi's posts

Sgt Pepper. Period. Is there really a debate here?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Sgt Pepper. Period. Is there really a debate here?
    Posted by mlancisi[/QUOTE]
    I'd say there's a good one. And it gladdens my heart. Who's Next, Dark Side Of The Moon, Sgt. Pepper, these are some seriously good albums. these are the kind of responses I was hoping with this thread. But for my money, if you are going to talk about rock 'n roll you have to start with Chuck Berry. Bill Haley and the Comets, Carl Perkins,Elvis, Little Walter.  To me Brian Setzer plays the most authentic roots american guitar in the world. And it kills me to say it cause he's from New York. But he's a beast.  His horn charts might never be outdone. All I'm saying is appreciate him while we have him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Carnie - don't forget the work Setzer did with Plant and the Honeydrippers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I forgot about Tim by The Replacements

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

sgt pepper is not a rock and roll album. the closest it gets is the title track...and the reprise towards the end.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Carnie - don't forget the work Setzer did with Plant and the Honeydrippers.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Did he just play the saturday night live gig, or was he on some of the recordings too?