What was the worst concert you ever saw?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

What was the worst concert you ever saw?

For me there's no question, hands down it was Genesis. I went in thinking it was going to be good, they have lots of hits and a big catalog of music. It was around 1988 and were very popular. The show started out awesome, the whole place went dark and nothing but yellow lights came on. The opening song was "MA MA" with it's distinct drum beat at the beginning. And I said to myself "this is going to be great!" And it was for the first 20 minutes or so.

Then they got into this keyboard instrumental that lasted a half hour. I left to go to the men's room and get something to drink, and when I came back it was still going. Anyway, a concert that lasted almost two hours had about a half hour of what I thought to be good. Iv'e been to countless number of concerts and this one sticks out to me as the worst by far.

What's your worst concert ever? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: What was the worst concert you ever saw?

This was not a concert of my choice, but a girl I was dating.  It was horrendous.  The only thing worse would have been something like Barenaked Ladies or something:

Sister Hazel

Talk about limited talent and bubble gum songs.  Brutal.

I did see No Doubt open for the Stones in 2002 and that was probably the worst, but they were just an opener.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, as embarrassing as this is, and it was not my choice but that of my ex... Yanni.  All the songs are exactly the same.  And, we were as long getting out of the parking lot as we were at the concert - hours.  It was at Tanglewood, I think...a very long time ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I saw David Bowie at Foxboro stadium on tour after the album with the song "Blue Jean" he had Peter Frampton on Guitar.  I Had seen him in the past and was blown away by his shows, but I felt that he mailed this one in.  Performance was flat and uninspired.

I have seen Dylan a few times and his shows are hit or miss.Either fantastic or you walk away felling ripped off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I hate to say it, but I have to go with Brother Ray Charles.  It was near the end for Ray, so sure he was old, but I definitely felt ripped off.  Lowell Auditorium was the place.  The opening act was a young blues trio from Vermont.  They played. And played and played.  And played.   I thought they'd never get off the stage. At least a good hour of derivative pap. 

Then the Ray Charles Orchestra came out, White Tux's and all. Not bad, but instead of a quick instrumental warm up, they too were good for another 45 minutes.  Then they brought out the Rayettes for a couple of tunes with the Orchestra.

Finally Ray comes on stage.  He still had that dazzling smile, and while he was there he was pretty damn good.  But he played for roughly 30 minutes after all that and poof! He was gone.  I was not a happy camper. I paid top dollar to see Ray Freakin' Charles, not some crappy Phish wannabes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I do not even have to think about this one.

Boston

They just did not have enough material to be a headlining band. I don't even remember the supporting band - they were a no name. Boston was the first band to debut in NY at MSG.

They played for less than an hour and even did some bad cover song twice.

Needless to say, the audience did not handle this well at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Lollapalooza 1994 was pretty terrible... 

It should have been a good show - Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Green Day, P-Funk, Tribe, Breeders - all at or near their prime, but it was just a mess... poor sound, lame performances...even the headliners. And to boot, Nirvana had been the original headliner before Kurt blew himself away.  Too bad, because the two previous ('92, '93) paloozas were both incredible, diverse shows with several good sets.

...and Jimmy Buffett - which might go without saying, but I never want to re-live that experience, if I can help it.  (I know some folks like him...but all I can say is 'sorry'....)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Pink Floyd.. amazingly boring. A tootal snoozefest.. 2nd place was Love and Rockets

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What tour was that? Maybe you don't like Pink Floyd?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i agree with dylan
    britney speers (with my daughter, ugh - and what made it even worse was all the leering fathers there that brought their daughters!! - oh i hope they brought their daughters)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

Widespread Panic is one of my favorite bands, but they are awful live(IMO).  Seen them a few times and each was terrible.  I'm done with them live.  I think their soundman must be deaf.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Rick Springfield.  I want to go on record that I am NOT a fan of his, but went with my best friend, who was a very, very big fan of his.  She was so enthralled by his on-stage show that she didn't even see me reading the small book I had brought with me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The highlight of the only Grateful Dead show I ever saw (at Boston Garden in 1980) was running into the valedictorian of my high school class -- and co-captain of my wrestling team -- selling color-by-number posters on Causeway Street for a dollar.

I also enjoyed watching the flaky chicks spinning around in the wings . . .

As for the Dead themselves, to this day I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

But that's just me.

Now that I think of it, the Bob Seger Against the Wind tour may have been worse for sheer lameness . . .  but I don't remember it as vividly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

p-mike I don't believe you were properly medicated

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Barry Manilow..a couple of years back at the Verizon Wireless Arena..most of the concert was lip synched...it started late...really late..the opening act was terrible. It was very disappointing..so disappointing we didn't stay until the end.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've been pretty lucky I guess because I haven't seen too many shows that were really awful.  I did see a few that were sabotaged by bad sound or that type of thing.  One that disappointed me was Bob Seger in 1986.  Just not enough of the hard rocking stuff.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: What was the worst concert you ever saw?:
    [QUOTE]Barry Manilow..a couple of years back at the Verizon Wireless Arena..most of the concert was lip synched...it started late...really late..the opening act was terrible. It was very disappointing..so disappointing we didn't stay until the end.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

I've heard he's such an extreme perfectionist that's why he lip syncs - so nothing can go wrong.  Ironic, isn't it, as it makes the whole thing so wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]What tour was that? Maybe you don't like Pink Floyd?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they weren't on that night. I am a giant Zep Fan, but I fell asleep during one of their concerts and it wasn't due to anything but a band who just wasn't on that particular night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Actually, I've never really enjoyed any concert as much as I enjoy the albums.  I love U2, and while they put on an amazing concert (IMO), it's just too loud for me to relax and enjoy the music.  Call me an old f_rt, but that's the fact of the matter - it's so uncomfortably loud I can't enjoy myself.  (The one exception to this was Billy Joel in Hartford in 2006.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, I've never really enjoyed any concert as much as I enjoy the albums.  I love U2, and while they put on an amazing concert (IMO), it's just too loud for me to relax and enjoy the music.  Call me an old f_rt, but that's the fact of the matter - it's so uncomfortably loud I can't enjoy myself.  (The one exception to this was Billy Joel in Hartford in 2006.)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I can relate to that.  Especially when it's gotten so expensive.  A few times I've been at shows and thought, for the same money I could have bought 3 CD's by this artist, along with some beverages, stayed at home and had every bit as good a time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I've seen Bob Dylan twice. The first time was one of the best I've ever seen. The second, at Cassell Coliseum at Virginia Tech, was definitely the worst. The acoustics were bad, which wasn't his fault, but he seemed to sense it was a bad show and began mailing it in. Fans started filtering out eventually.

But I saw him a year earlier in Chapel Hill and he was incredible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Other than bar bands that were pretty stale, I don't recall any rock concerts that were all that bad.  So I'll fall back on a classical concert that turned into a real mess. 

I first saw the classical pianist Lang Lang in 2005, and he blew me away.  He's an up and coming, hot Chinese pianist, and Symphony Hall was filled with a really young crowd, and he totally electrified the place.

He came back in 2007, and I did not see him.   He came back again in 2009, so I had to get tickets.   It had been four years.

Total disappointment beyond belief.  He had not grown one iota.  Four years, and he's young enough to have expectations of, and while I am no expert, cheesh, nothing.   Then, to top it off, not one but TWO cell phones went off during the performance and that just totally ruined what had already gone down.  The cell phones ringing posed such a distraction, they were mentioned in the review!  Unforgivable.  I think I mentioned this concert in another thread, since it was so bad, it was almost like I wished it had never happened. 

It would have been more rewarding to take the money wasted on the tickets, and let it go flying into the wind.
       Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

It would have to be the Dead with Dylan and Tom Petty at the Meadowlands some time in the mid 80s. I've seen probably 20 Dead shows, and for the most part they were pretty good, if not great (Saratoga was their best venue IMO, although I never caught a west coast show) but this was just plain awful. The sound was terrible, Dylan had no presence at all, and Jerry had all the charisma of a microwave burrito. Bad vibes, to put it mildly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]It would have to be the Dead with Dylan and Tom Petty at the Meadowlands some time in the mid 80s. I've seen probably 20 Dead shows, and for the most part they were pretty good, if not great (Saratoga was their best venue IMO, although I never caught a west coast show) but this was just plain awful. The sound was terrible, Dylan had no presence at all, and Jerry had all the charisma of a microwave burrito. Bad vibes, to put it mildly.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]
    ---------------------------------
    I saw the Dylan / Dead show at foxboro on July 4 (after they had a number of shows under their belt), it had the ingredients to be an amazing show but it was not to be, I know just what you are talking about.  For a good reminder of just how flat this tour was you can buy the Dylan/ Dead live CD and re-live a  really sh!++y concert.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

[QUOTE]What tour was that? Maybe you don't like Pink Floyd?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Not sure what tour as I am not a big fan at all.. It was in Montreal sometime in the late 80's.. Comfortably Numb for about 20 minutes is not my cup of tea.. But the guy next to me maybe thought it was the greatest concert ever..

The Smashing Pumpkins last tour was no great shake for me either