What was your first live, professional "musical event"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

What was your first live, professional "musical event"?

Apologies for the square Headline, but a concert isn't a gig, a festival isn't an instore, etc.  What/who is the first live "event" you saw?

I lucked into a great one....my 13-year old friends and I wanted to go to an ice hockey rink in Rhode Island in the mid-70s to see Eric Clapton play.  So we bought tickets, paid a desperate older sibling to drive us down from Boston, found our seats (oof, what worse curse than "seats") to see Clapton play.

Then the warm up act came on stage....to our ignorant, teenage amazement, the warm up act was an elderly, obese, black man we'd never heard of.....who hobbled onto centre stage, sat down on a stool and....changed our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IOou6qN1o

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: What was your first live, professional "musical event"?

Does my accordian recital at the age of 10 count?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

The Paradise......all ages show.......Sunday afternoon...

Human Sexual Response.........can't remember but I think I was only 15????

AWESOME!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pretty sure it was April Wine, around 1971.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

J. Geils Band at the Bangor Auditorium in 1973. James Cotton opened.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Pink Floyd, 1994. Division Bell tour.  Good album, eye opening experience.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Well, somebody has to have a clinker ...
    Doobie Brothers, Roanoke (Va.) Civic Center, 1978.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: What was your first live, professional "musical event"?:
    [QUOTE]J. Geils Band at the Bangor Auditorium in 1973. James Cotton opened.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

James Cotton, ha.  That dude played here in Halifax many times.  We had a nice blues band scene going for awhile, in the 80's especially.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of the best live performers I've ever seen was Johnny Winter, a couple of times.  The guy just blows you away from the first guitar solo.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was your first live, professional "musical event"? : James Cotton, ha.  That dude played here in Halifax many times.  We had a nice blues band scene going for awhile, in the 80's especially.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I believe he is out of Detroit, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]One of the best live performers I've ever seen was Johnny Winter, a couple of times.  The guy just blows you away from the first guitar solo.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Always liked "feedback on highway 101".  His physical appearance is just disturbing, though.  I mean, wow. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My first concert was in 1973,at the Springfield Mass Civic Center.It was the James Montgomery Blues Band,Nazareth and Deep Purple.

Hfx,you're absolutely right about Johnny Winter.He was one of my favorite live performers along with J. Geils and NRBQ.If you haven't heard this,it's a pretty cool recording of Johnny along with fellow Texan Janis Joplin in 1969 at the Boston Music Hall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omlcI1F06tc&feature=related

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Elvis Costello back in about 1982. Cant quite remember the date..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I had a very difficult getting to my first Rock and Roll show.

I was a huge fan of Rock and Roll back in my younger days (Not all that much has changed).  I had principals.  When I was 16 I had my first real girl friend.  She had got tickets to see Bozz Scaggs somewhere around here I forget exactly where.  (This was in his Lido Shuffle, Harbor Lights, Lowdown phase of his career).  I consider his music to be akin to elevator Muzak* and decided that this should and would not be my first R&R concert.  I stood my ground and refused to go.  This created many problems with my girlfriend, which we did eventually worked out. She ended up going with some "friends".  

A while later CSNY were coming to the Boston Garden.  They not only passed the criteria as to what my first R&R show should be they surpassed it wildly.  I bought 2 tickets and invited my girlfriend to go with me.  She excitedly  agreed to go.  In the months from when I bought the tickets till when the show was to be, I had gotten invited to go to a very prestigious wrestling camp (with Olympic coaches). It could/would have great implications on my wrestling career.  I went to the camp and gave my pair of tickets to my girlfriend.  She took the same guy "friend" with whom she went to the Bozz Scaggs show to.  Long story short, she ended up leaving me for her "friend" who I always felt that I entertained for their first 2 dates.

I Saw Jethro Tull at the Garden a short time later for my first rock show.

* I have since discovered earlier Bozz Scaggs work and find it to be pretty good, I still can't stand his "Silk Degrees" period though, can't understand why.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

AC/DC - For Those About To Rock Tour

Explains a lot, as it turns out....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I may have mentioned this before, but my first concert was one of these "Summer Jam" Festivals that presented Foghat as the headliner (if you can believe such a thing). As you may expect, every other band on the slate -- Sweet, Richie Blackmore's Rainbow (featuring the once-and-future Ronnie James Dio) and the Atlanta Rhythm Section -- simply blew Foghat off the stage.

It was pretty awesome to a 15-year-old kid.

Just as an addendum: When I went to see Clapton during the Just One Night Tour (meh), Ry Cooder opened for him and completely changed how I viewed the pantheon of "guitar gods."

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Oh, okay, I couldn't figure out if theatre counted, cause everything on this forum seems to be like a contest!     "Flora the Red Menace"   with Liza Minnelli and Bob Dishy  1965  Colonial Theatre, Boston.   I highly recommend anyone taking their kid to the theatre, it was a great experience!   BTW: I met Liza Minnelli and she was very sweet and friendly (somewhat shy), she is much more petite in person than she appears on stage (imo).

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Journey with Brian Adams as opening act Worcester Centrum 1983.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, okay, I couldn't figure out if theatre counted, cause everything on this forum seems to be like a contest!     "Flora the Red Menace"   with Liza Minnelli and Bob Dishy  1965  Colonial Theatre, Boston.   I highly recommend anyone taking their kid to the theatre, it was a great experience!   BTW: I met Liza Minnelli and she was very sweet and friendly (somewhat shy), she is much more petite than she appears on stage (imo).
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Was she high/drunk then too? haha

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Ted Nugent at the Bangor Auditorium in 1980. He swung onto the stage Tarzan style wearing only a loin cloth singing "Wango Tango". Awesome!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]J. Geils Band at the Bangor Auditorium in 1973. James Cotton opened.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Hey carnie! They're tearing down the 50+ year old Bangor Auditorium next year and have already started construction of the new $65 million arena scheduled to open in the fall of 2013.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/24/news/bangor/arena-project-on-schedule-as-auditorium-hosts-tournament-week/