What You Don't Like About Live Shows.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What You Don't Like About Live Shows.

OK, given how most of us here are stolid, tried-and-true music fans, we might be willing to overlook the various inequities and annoyances of the live concert experience at times.

But slow burns aside, what frustrates you most about the shows you've seen and the venues you've been to?? 

I'm not referring to bands showing up wasted, missing their lines or other performance-related snafus.  This is about everything else surrounding the show, such as ticketing, schedules, seating, costs, and so on.

I noted one such issue in the Sublime thread - venue security and the weird rent-a-cop vibe they often give off - that I noticed last night during a show at Meadowbrook in Gilford, NH.

Likewise, I'm curious to know from those who have worked and played in these places if they see the same things as the fans and/or whether the behind-the-scenes folks get a bad rap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: What You Don't Like About Live Shows.

Drunk 18 year olds.

Who said that? Can't be me, I'm not old yet, am I?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: What You Don't Like About Live Shows.:
    [QUOTE]I've been ranting against Tupelo Music Hall in NH for other reasons.  The sound their is great, but the seating is among the worst. I'd rather be stuck in the middle row of an airplane than watch a quiet concert up there.  The place gets rave reviews, and I don't get it.  You're packed like sardines, you can't see a thing, everyone around you is slurping food and drink. Blech. Hate that place. Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

That's informative about Tupelo.  I never really understood the whole dinner-concert concept.  A bar? OK.  But is it like a dinner-theater?  Weird. 

I mean, festivals are all-day affairs, so picnicking is common, but in a night club?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hate crowds of people. I am quite content listening to music,reading books ,watching sports and movies from my quiet suburban/country residence.

I work with the public and after 40-44 hours dealing with stupidity and ignorance , I want nothing to do with crowds, obnoxious kids or foul mouthed meatheads.

I have yet to go to a concert, race or a ballgame ( well, maybe Pawsox was okay) without seeing ignorant behaviour. Almost got kicked in the head in a Providence club back in the early 90's, saw a kid fall out of the upper deck in Providence Civic Center back in 1980.

I used to go see Bruins games back in the late 70's at the old Garden, and believe it or not, people were pretty well behaved. Maybe when the violence is part of the event the crowd acts more mature???....I alwys found hockey fans were more interested in the event than any other crowd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE] The security at the Music Circus was laughable.  They wouldn't let you linger, let alone dance, in the aisle. Well, okay, I guess.  What struck me was that they were very aggressive in keeping people in their seats, and there were alot of them. But they were all a bunch of midgets, and old.  Luckily it was an older, well behaved crowd. That security crew could not handle real trouble.
    Posted by
    SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Good to see the Music Circus hasn't changed much in 30 years. My folks took me  to see Harry Chapin there in 1981, and it sure sounds like the same security crew was working that night as well. The minute you stood up, someone in a red shirt was there to tell you to sit down. I thought the staff was going to revolt when Chapin asked the audience to sing along to his 30,000 Bananas song, and break out the billy-clubs when people started clapping their hands to WOLD!. Great show though.

On a sad note, the show was right before he was killed. Chapin was as good a songwriter/singer/performer as there ever was imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I know I'm dating myself here but....

Watching Foreigner at the Cape Cod Coliseum on the floor standing for the show with some fat slob in bib over-alls puking all over himself! Yell

I also hate it when artist decides to tell you "we're gonna play our new album - in order - live for you note for note!" - Joe Jackson.  WHY? I could have stayed home and listened to the cd! I want the group to put a "spin" on the live version of the song not a note for note concert!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]The opener (& the wait between them and the main act) I know I know. It's a pretty good way for bands to become known. It's more or less standard to have an opener. But I'd really just rather hear a 2 hour set by the band I paid to see and have done with it. And sometimes they're just downright awful. Obnoxious People Pushing, spilling drinks. "Moshing" especially. My ear ringing for the next 24 hours At least that's what happened after the Slash show. I like my rock nice and loud, but I'd rather be able to hear the rest of my life. Size I don't like anything even approaching a stadium. House of blues was fine. Perhaps I'd even go a little bigger.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

That was the first thing I thought of.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]I know I'm dating myself here but.... Watching Foreigner at the Cape Cod Coliseum on the floor standing for the show with some fat slob in bib over-alls puking all over himself! I also hate it when artist decides to tell you "we're gonna play our new album - in order - live for you note for note!" - Joe Jackson.  WHY? I could have stayed home and listened to the cd! I want the group to put a "spin" on the live version of the song not a note for note concert!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Foreigner 4 was the first concert I went to 10/30/81 at MSG.  That's back when you could smoke indoors.  Talk about contact HIGH!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Worst show experience.  5/9/88  Felt Forum GnR after sitting through forgettable openings by Accept and Zodiac Mind Warp it wasn't till around 11:30 (2 hour delay) that GnR finally got on stage.  Other then that the show rocked.

Before the show we were walking to the venue on 8th Ave when walking past us in the opposite direction was Slash with a hot blond and huge Body Guard. What stood out too me was how small he was....and the Hot blond.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What You Don't Like About Live Shows. : I dunno. I don't find sitting on concrete or whatever it is to be particularly comfortable. I'll get seats if I can because I do prefer sitting...but...if it's the floor, well I find standing up for a few hours is a lot more comfortable than sitting on a hard floor for the same.

See, I'm the opposite.  I can't sit down for a concert.  Gotta move, unless it's real mellow, like some jazz clubs.

If a 40-ish guy like me can stand for a couple of hours, anyone can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

If a 40-ish guy like me can stand for a couple of hours, anyone can.

Ditto......

You know you're at a "bad" show when everyone is sitting........... or a funeral!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Almost got kicked in the head 
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

In a movie theatre (I won't say what town I was in ...) one night, when a looong list of credits was scrolling at the end of an otherwise looong film, I got up to leave, and as I passed in front of someone, he HIT ME IN THE LEG.

Yes, I said HIT ME.  Because I, for 3 seconds, blocked his view of the credits.  And it's not like I'm this huge football player, you know, I'm a compact person.  He took three quick swats at my leg.  

I was so stunned at the time, I kept going, and then, marvelled at what had happened with the friend I was with.   This was  a few years ago, but if that happened to me now, I would have reported him to the manager or a security guy.  Never forgot the incident (obviously) and have associated the theatre with it ever since.   Psycho.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]If I pay for floor seats, hell, ANY seat, I like to sit in it and watch the band - actually LISTEN to the band.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

The way to avoid this, of course, is to attend classical concerts.  :P    Of course, being tall is the other side of the equation for staying seated; I don't envy tall people when it comes to being crammed into the seating at older concert halls that have insufficient spacing.   I'm not a fan of Sanders Theatre because the seating is freaking uncomfortable; the stage setup overall, however, is not bad.  

But seriously, seating is an issue for me, too.

Ability to see can be a problem.  People who decide it's okay to stand, even when there are few people standing; that's not okay.   If there is general admission, and an open area, and you think you've staked out a spot, think again, because some people think nothing of cramming themselves into the crowd and will somehow end up in front of me (or you, or the next guy).  

Prices?  They are what they are.  Some shows you can't put a price on; if they turn out to be outstanding, the money is a wash.  If the show is a disappointment, of course, it's a ripoff.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]If a 40-ish guy like me can stand for a couple of hours, anyone can. Ditto...... You know you're at a "bad" show when everyone is sitting........... or a funeral!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

This came to light for me at a Steely Dan show at the Wang a few years back.

OK, so granted that this was an older crowd in popular music terms...  But the band was smokin', and several times I couldn't help but get up and groove, y'know?  And yet I was trying to be polite for the people behind me...

All I could think afterwards was that maybe SD might be used to that and maybe given up trying to get people on their feet.  A frustrating experience, to say the least, and in turn it's led me to avoid some 'sit-down' shows.

Conversely, some of the very best live shows I've seen have ended with the people all around me high-fiving each other with joyous recognition at the life and humanity we shared together...and totally in spite of the particular dancing skills of those involved. 

I may be among the older audience members at some of these shows, but I'll be dammed if I have to act like it....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Matty's post reminded me of one of the major benefits of listening to folk and blues. Despite being in our early 50's,  we are usually the young ones in the crowd!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Newport kinda blows that paradigm out of the water though...as do certain nostalgic jam bands/fests I could mention.  (Also see: DMB, whose fans run the gamut from teens to 50-ish.)

Incidentally, what the heck happened over at Gillette Stadium this weekend??  Sounds like it was a country music stampede...!!  Over a hundred arrested and a few more hundred PC'd...??!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Comcast center is a great place to see a band.  But getting there is a pain and getting out of the Comcast Parking Lot can be excrutiating.

The Agganis Arena has terrible acoustics.

The Bank of America Pavillion is an interesting place to see a show.  It's got pretty good sight lines and easy access plenty of places to get food before the show.  But, the acoustics aren't that great and the volume is too low.  Turn it up - they probably have noise requirements that limits the volume.

The House of Blues is cool if you don't mind standing.  You can get very close to the stage.

Berkelee used to be good.  Haven't been there in a couple of years.  Last time I went, it was in bad shape - most of the seats were broken.  It's used to be the best place in town to see a show.

You can't beat the Wang center or Symphony hall for acoustics.  

Gillette is pretty had. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Matty's post reminded me of one of the major benefits of listening to folk and blues. Despite being in our early 50's,  we are usually the young ones in the crowd!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

I'm sure this is very true (and it's funny, too :))  but isn't there a newfound appreciation for many of the stalwarts among younger listeners?   

But if you really want to feel young, go to Symphony; very "mature" crowd.  :D

What's interesting in the old venues is noticing the size of the seats, and the spacing.   Halls like Symphony Hall were built 100 years ago, believe it or not, and the seats reflect the sea change in the way the average American is built.  

The acoustics are amazing and I (still) love it there, but it's just not that comfortable.   And I fit with room to spare in any seat, believe me.  

The New England Conservatory (NEC) is even more preferable (to me).  Not a bad seat in the place (either that, or I just have no complaints, anyway).  When they have smaller recitals, they're in a very intimate auditorium, even nicer.  

The Wang is a whole 'nother animal; I've only seen "shows" there, and it's a nice theatre for sure.  

Just have to mention this, but I have subscriber seats for about 4 classical concerts a year, so we have the same seats.  One year a young-ish couple had seats near me, so we saw this couple at all the concerts.   They brought both of their children -- sat them on their LAPS -- and waited.  When the kids were too restless to stay, and they would leave at that point.  Never did they come alone without their kids --- but never did they try to stay beyond the kids' ability to handle it.   If the kids had not been so sweet, this might have made people angry, but they really were respectful.   Never saw anything quite like it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]The Comcast center is a great place to see a band.  But getting there is a pain and getting out of the Comcast Parking Lot can be excrutiating. The Agganis Arena has terrible acoustics. The Bank of America Pavillion is an interesting place to see a show.  It's got pretty good sight lines and easy access plenty of places to get food before the show.  But, the acoustics aren't that great and the volume is too low.  Turn it up - they probably have noise requirements that limits the volume. The House of Blues is cool if you don't mind standing.  You can get very close to the stage. Berkelee used to be good.  Haven't been there in a couple of years.  Last time I went, it was in bad shape - most of the seats were broken.  It's used to be the best place in town to see a show. You can't beat the Wang center or Symphony hall for acoustics.   Gillette is pretty had. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Good point, all.

Re: the Comcast center, we spring for premier parking now whenever it's available.  Not only are you in/out quicker, the walk to the venue is like 5 minutes, and tailgating is abundant and (mostly) hassle-free.  It's worth the price.

Saw TMBG at Berklee last year, and it felt spruced up a bit.

No real complaints about the House Of Blues yet.

Regionally, the State Theater in Portland has become a recent favorite and the Capitol Center in Concord, MA has excellent sound.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What You Don't Like About Live Shows. : Yup. Definitely different. I dunno - I've never been much of a dancer or 'mover'. Sure, my head and legs might be moving a bit, but I never have the urge to actually jump around or 'dance' in any sense of the word. I'm definitely more like greg, except I'm not going to sit cross-legged on a cold hard floor with everyone around me standing up. I'll stand in standing room, but otherwise would prefer to sit if there are, in fact, seats. Music does its work inside my head... 

Nothing I do could really be called "dancing" on the best day...which is why I prefer a crowd around me as camouflage.  :P

Otherwise, for mellower stuff, I'm the head-bobbin', feet-shufflin' type, too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

At least this thread still exists ... :D.

As it pertains to live outdoor shows, I thought you'd find this article interesting; I read it yesterday and it rang a bell.

Seems there is a movement afoot per safety issues for setting up outdoor shows; that is to say, ensuring the safety and secure aspects of the physical stage.   

It seems like a good, and straightforward idea;  it also seems to have some detractors, and controversy.   

How accountable they will be in the future is up in the air.   

Link (hope it works -- if not, copy and paste if you're interested)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/arts/music/advocating-for-outdoor-concert-safety-standards.html?pagewanted=all 

"For decades outdoor-concert promoters have been largely self-policed, and regulations for temporary stages vary widely from state to state and city to city, promoters say. Some cities, like Chicago and New York, have stringent engineering requirements and inspections by local buildings officials. Even in states with strong regulations enforcement can be spotty, especially at fairs and events put on by small-time promoters."

Sections
Shortcuts