What You Don't Like About Live Shows.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: What You Don't Like About Live Shows.

I hate you all and your ridiculous, sad, populist, I-need-comfort and familiarity methadone music....is that the attitude that gave us Pat Boone or The Sonics?   [joke, joke, I only hate people with no taste in music i.e. "I like everything".

I don't really think that, I'll happily buy you a beer when I'm next in Boston (Muck and Woggles will be GREAT at the Plow next week but I can't go), but the Jefferson ELO Foreigner sit-in-a-seat faux R&R BS is as rock and roll as Billy Joel. 

"I went to the Enormodome to see doo dah!"  "I had great seats at Granny Woods!"  Seats?  If you have to buy a seat to a "musical event"....you are Pat Boone.

I'll close with the anti-Boone:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZHB3ozglQ

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, for the Springsteen show in Moncton I had to leave the metal bench I was sitting on because it was killing my back.  I found a nice place to stand by the Buffalo Burger tent...a bonus feature of that was that the air was getting cooler and there was some nice heat coming off the burger grills.  After the show some of the people I'd been sitting with also reported back pain from the horribly uncomfortable bleachers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

As beenpreviously mentioned waiting in between acts which some times feels forever. How many times do you need to say Check one..check check check etc

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

I recently went to Metal Mayhem with Motorhead, Slayer, and Slipknot. Although it was good they sang a variety of both New and Old songs, they were all just standing around and didn't give us a show. Amps were up way to loud, you couldn't understand a thing they were singing. Motorhead was the only one I could sing along with because I knew the sound of the music in correlation with the lyrics.

That is what I didn't like about that live show.

OH, and a can of beer was $13

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Great question.  Many levels.

My main issue is venue size....but that's my problem....I've been to many thousands of gigs since 1974, but for 20+ years rarely have been to 600+ people gigs, usually (and often) half that.  Not out of some perverse, reverse snobbery....but because I find it so impersonal to rattle my jewelry at a speck.

At gig level, complaints about bouncers, beer prices, coat checks, blah blah blah....get reincarnated with Liberace if that's an issue.

Stage height is very important:  3-4 feet is perfect.  Beach party flat is great fun, but only if you're in front (like me, often) or tall (like me, always).  5 feet plus kills intimicy.

Sound is paramount.  I'm no sound engineer, nor a proper musician or even fit to shine St. Bo's shoes, but sometimes you hear things that are so blindingly obvious you have to laugh.  Last night I was at a mate's Beat festival in a 50s church hall.  Held about 200 people, beautiful stage, acoustics so good they didn't have to mike the drums.  Other times you go to a 100-person venue and they have giant Marshall cabs the size of Mt. Washingtons that would work fine at Fenway Park but......

As a promoter, there's only one thing that really fs me off.....when support bands don't get off the fn stage when agreed/told which can means the headliner (the main reason people are there) gets a short / no set.  They don't get invited back!

....also hate people that think it's cool to break other people's stuff, hit on my girlfriend or think I'm not well-dressed enough to be gay.  ;-)

6. This post has been removed.