What's new? Your new music hits and misses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What's new? Your new music hits and misses

We haven't checked in regarding new music that's been added to our personal collections in a while.   

Some of you collect more in three months than some of us do in a year, but regardless, if you'd care to weigh in on some (or all) of your new LPs, haul your list on over.  

If any have been misses or letdowns, and you care to note them, please do. 
    Have any of them been hits and blown you away?  

NOTE:  "New" music is defined as new for you -- it does not have to be new or recent according to what year it was released.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: What's new? Your new music hits and misses

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm really liking the latest LP ("Arrow") from Heartless Bastar*ds.

I've also liked the latest from Leonard Cohen ("Old Ideas") and Mark Lanegan ("Blues Funeral")...though certain songs more than the albums themselves.  The similarity in their voices may or may not be a coincidence.

I mentioned The Shins and my (so far) underwhelming response to "Port Of Morrow".

Also rocking out to - from last year - the debut from Wild Flag, which is really great.  Why this isn't a huge hit is beyond me....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Cowboy Junkies' Wilderness is showing promise... after just one listen, it has a early Pretenders kind of feel.

Edit  The Decemberist have a new Live album that's pretty good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Joe Bonnamassa is my new musical fixation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: What's new? Your new music hits and misses:
    [QUOTE]As mentioned elsewhere, I'm really liking the latest LP ("Arrow") from Heartless Bastar*ds. I've also liked the latest from Leonard Cohen ("Old Ideas") and Mark Lanegan ("Blues Funeral")...though certain songs more than the albums themselves.  The similarity in their voices may or may not be a coincidence. I mentioned The Shins and my (so far) underwhelming response to "Port Of Morrow". Also rocking out to - from last year - the debut from Wild Flag, which is really great.  Why this isn't a huge hit is beyond me....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I agree with you and JKJ, on the Shins, it's a big miss IMO..

New John Hiatt, "Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymn's.  FOTM, Ceremonials, Listening to a ton of the Cranberries again on the heels of their new album, "Roses."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Is anyone considering the new Cranberries LP, "Roses" ?   

For me, and I've mentioned some of the best ones in passing, I'm taking the long road backwards, and sticking to that policy for now, because I am hitting it BIG with some older albums and compilations.  

"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco is a relatively recent purchase, and it's great.  The Wilco thread was also, great.  :)    Also got the Stone Roses (self-titled), based on a thread, and love that one, too, and that one ain't new either, but it's new to me.  

Scorpions compiliation, the Jayhawks compilation.  

In ambient music, I got a second LP by Explosions in the Sky; "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" (ca. 2003) and it's excellent.  

I know there are a few more; I'll come back and update.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]Is anyone considering the new Cranberries LP, "Roses" ?    For me, and I've mentioned some of the best ones in passing, I'm taking the long road backwards, and sticking to that policy for now, because I am hitting it BIG with some older albums and compilations.   "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco is a relatively recent purchase, and it's great.  The Wilco thread was also, great.  :)    Also got the Stone Roses (self-titled), based on a thread, and love that one, too, and that one ain't new either, but it's new to me.   Scorpions compiliation, the Jayhawks compilation.   In ambient music, I got a second LP by Explosions in the Sky; "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" (ca. 2003) and it's excellent.   I know there are a few more; I'll come back and update.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I mentioned them in my post. It's good, but if one is expecting Zombie, Linger, Ode, or Dreams, they will be a little disappointed. It's more of a mellow sound, but still unmistakable Riordan.. Can't get enough Cranberries...:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

For ambient music, You would be hard pressed to do better than Brian Eno

Ambient 1: Music for Airports

Music for Films

Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

@Yoga- Have you checked this out yet: Emigration Tunes? Just curious what you think..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's new? Your new music hits and misses : I mentioned them in my post. It's good, but if one is expecting Zombie, Linger, Ode, or Dreams, they will be a little disappointed. It's more of a mellow sound, but still unmistakable Riordan.. Can't get enough Cranberries...:)
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Polar,
    Your Cranberries comments were *not* in your post originally (were they?), because if that's the case, I am seriously losing it.   :P   You must have added them while I was writing my post (and there was a time delay, I was in edit mode for a while due to distractions).  

In any event, I did read the reviews and LOTS of comments on Amazon that said it was nice to hear Riordan again, but that the sound is not vintage Cranberries, and that's why I haven't jumped on it.  I do value your opinion, it's good to hear, thanks.  (now say you edited your post to add those comments so I will feel better, will you please?)  :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's new? Your new music hits and misses : Polar, Your Cranberries comments were *not* in your post originally (were they?), because if that's the case, I am seriously losing it.   :P   You must have added them while I was writing my post (and there was a time delay, I was in edit mode for a while due to distractions).   In any event, I did read the reviews and LOTS of comments on Amazon that said it was nice to hear Riordan again, but that the sound is not vintage Cranberries, and that's why I haven't jumped on it.  I do value your opinion, it's good to hear, thanks.  (now say you edited your post to add those comments so I will feel better, will you please?)   :D

I did edit my post :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]@Yoga- Have you checked this out yet: Emigration Tunes? Just curious what you think..

I have passed on this for quite a while ... mostly based on the traditional nature of many of the songs that aren't that interesting (to me).   And I was truly disappointed to see that her latest CD (basically just released) is only a live version of this album.  I was bummed.  

I'll bet Emigration Tunes is a great song --- I'll check it out.  The entire album did not catch fire for me, if you know what I mean.  

ETA: Thanks for telling me you edited your post.  That's a big relief. :)  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]For ambient music, You would be hard pressed to do better than Brian Eno Ambient 1: Music for Airports Music for Films Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

I love (lots of) ambient music.  Duly noted.  Thanks.   I also intend to buy Massive Attack (Mezzanine) and look into Tangerine Dream one of these days, too.   Also, Mogwai.   There's no end.  

I also buy used CDs as often as possible. Some are not dirt cheap, but I have picked up fantastic deals at times.  This is another reason to go into the wayback mode and buy older albums that you're just discovering.  The liklihood of getting a used (cheaper) copy is much greater.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Errr...  Does BDC suck? I thought hfx said he really liked the Mad Season concert link I posted... Listen if you haven't />.<   :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw1CASDtCbU And now the post is gone. I was gonna say: Welcome. But YEAH why is there no DVD? This thing would sell! I don't even have a VHS player at this point...  
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

It was Polar-the post is on the 'What are you listening to now?' thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's new? Your new music hits and misses : It was Polar-the post is on the 'What are you listening to now?' thread.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Errr... Does BDC suck? I thought hfx said he really liked the Mad Season concert link I posted... Listen if you haven't />.< : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw1CASDtCbU And now the post is gone. I was gonna say: Welcome. But YEAH why is there no DVD? This thing would sell! I don't even have a VHS player at this point...
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Thanks both. And I agree this should be out on DVD. The VHS copy does not do it justice...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Joe Bonnamassa is my new musical fixation.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Black Country Communion

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's new? Your new music hits and misses : Black Country Communion
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and that's just one of the entities he's performing as or with.  He's a very busy guy.  He says he wants to make 3 or 4 albums a year.  Just one of the things I like about him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]@Yoga- Have you checked this out yet: Emigration Tunes? Just curious what you think..

Polar:
    I listened to Emigration Tunes last night and was nearly brought to tears.  That is one amazing piece of music.   After that, I listened to a a number of other songs from TWTSTB, and while I feel that my initial reaction was accurate --that it veered far from LM's trademark exotic, Middle-Eastern, hypnotic sound and texture -- I realized that was why I was disappointed; I didn't judge the album on its own merits.  My bad, for sure.   It's traditional Celtic music, and done beautifully -- so what was my problem?   :D    
    I would have pursued it long ago if I'd had the right perspective.  Now I do, and I will put it (back) on my list, and get hold of it sooner rather than later.   So glad you pointed this out to me, and that my curiosity brought me back to my senses.   :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I once set a personal record of sorts and bought 27 CDs in one day.

Those days are long gone , though. I can't remember the last time I bought a new CD ...has to be over a year and a half( I don't have much room left anyway!).

Life has changed and there are different responsibilities now.

I just had a new roof put on my house. That was a hell of a lot more important than buying new music.

I listen to BRU in my car and they play alot of newer music. From what little I get to here, I don't seem to be missing much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm losing my mind, too.   Thought I saw a message from Polar.    ?   

I scored some albums that I am losing my mind over:

I found a used copy of an older album, ("The Mask and the Mirror") I have wanted forEVER by Loreena McKennitt -- nothing short of astonishing.  Don't even ask me about the album art (imbued with the Unicorn Tapestries).  

"Mezzanine" -- Massive Attack

I am beginning to feel like an electronic / experimental music geek.  Not sure if this LP in particular was recommended on the forum, or if I reviewed the first three and landed on this one myself, either way -- it is OUTSTANDING. Ambient / electronic  / experimental.   I'm going to have to get "Blue Lines", too.

Jesus and the Mary Chain -- ah, wouldn't you know there is one compilation album?  "21 Singles -- 1984-1998".  It's more "greatest hits" than "best of" and perfect for me.   Killing it.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]I'm losing my mind, too.   Thought I saw a message from Polar.    ?    I scored some albums that I am losing my mind over: I found a used copy of an older album, ("The Mask and the Mirror") I have wanted forEVER by Loreena McKennitt -- nothing short of astonishing.  Don't even ask me about the album art (imbued with the Unicorn Tapestries).   "Mezzanine" -- Massive Attack I am beginning to feel like an electronic / experimental music geek.  Not sure if this LP in particular was recommended on the forum, or if I reviewed the first three and landed on this one myself, either way -- it is OUTSTANDING. Ambient / electronic  / experimental.   I'm going to have to get "Blue Lines", too. Jesus and the Mary Chain -- ah, wouldn't you know there is one compilation album?   "21 Singles -- 1984-1998".  It's more "greatest hits" than "best of" and perfect for me.   Killing it.    

Boy, I can't get anything past you :)  Ha.

You did see a post from me that I thought was deleted over the weekend which was still there. I was going to send you a more detailed message later in the week on Mckennitt. I have a friend who is going to see her in London on the 5th, and will let me know how it was. 

The Mask and the Mirror is a great album. The Mystic's Dream may be her best song. So glad you like Emigration Tunes. It is mesmerizing.

Yoga, you have great taste--:)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

@Yoga-- You should also give LUSH a listen. Check out Thoughtforms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sxO3FYCX4

And go from there.
    I think you would really like them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]@Yoga-- You should give LUSH a listen. Check out Thoughtforms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sxO3FYCX4 And go from there. I think you would really like them.
    Woah, that was nice.  Reminded me a little of Mazzy Star on speed.  Definitely will check them out.
    BTW, I had a chance to get an album by Electronic (the one that's self-titled), but I passed on it (thought I'd spent enough $$ for one day), and now feel I should go back and get it.  I can't remember if it was used, but it was a good deal.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Check out this band called the Alabama Shakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROla_B49KbQ&feature=relmfu

It's about the singer in this band, but the stripped down sound/arrangements almost remind me of CCR.   Her voice reminds me of a cross between 4 NOn Blonde's Linda Perry and maybe an Amy Winehouse.

Pretty good.  They need some work on the songwriting end and get a better lead player, but I think they're a pretty new band.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

@Bass:

I've heard Alabama Shakes...not much, but I've liked what I heard so far....

Thanks for the tip.