What's on tap? Anything?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What's on tap? Anything?

Just wondering if you have any music on tap that you're either in the process of pursuing, or have on your wish list or "list" to purchase.   Still on the fence?  Still ruminating?

My list is too long to post in full, so here's a sampler of a few toppers:

Alison Krauss (and Union Station) - Live (live album)

Band of Horses (looking into an album)

Wilco - The Whole Love

Collective Soul - possibly 7-Year Itch (or another compilation or hits album)

Black Crowes - Amorica

... and many more, some classical, too.    

Are any of you looking for anything in particular?

NOTE: Got hold of Keane's "Hopes and Fears" recently, and it more than met my expectations.  I was concerned about the "mainstream hits" :)  on the album (that I would be tired of them), but that did not even occur to me in the context of the album.  It's a case of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"  (Aristotle) in all its glory.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What's on tap? Anything?

I always buy myself some CD's for Christmas.  This year's picks were:

Black Keys - El Camino

Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl

Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive

Pixies - Doolittle (this was a forum-influenced pick)

Jack White - Blunderbuss

I already have them but I don't open them till Christmas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

yoga, IRT your Collective Soul pick, you may want to also consider the live CD 'Home' which is packed with their best songs.  It was recorded with the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra.  Check out some of the reviews on Amazon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Alison Krauss (and Union Station) - Live (live album) -Yoga and I have discussed this one.

KC & the Sunshine Band - KC & the Sunshine Band; Part 3; 25th Anniversary Collection - Zilla's hatred of this band may have motivated me to want to get their albums for some deep cuts. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Bon Iver - For Emma I need to get..

Also really getting more into Sonic Youth and going to pick up a couple of their older CD's. I somehow missed the boat on them years ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I need to get 'Clockwork Angels' by Rush.

It's on my radar, but so are a few other things. I'll eventually get around to it.

Just like I'll eventually get around to renting Cleveland Stadium to have a huge group of Rock fans show up and burn KC and the Sunshine Band LPs once again.

Hey they had a Woodstock II , the made 4 sequels to Charles Bronson's Death Wish,, they made 4 sequels to 'Dirty Harry' ,everything good should have a sequel....maybe 4.

I get this warm feeling thinking about Disco albums roasting in an open baseball stadium....throw in a few chestnuts, if you like!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

yoga, IRT your Collective Soul pick, you may want to also consider the live CD 'Home' which is packed with their best songs.  It was recorded with the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra.  Check out some of the reviews on Amazon. 

Excellent advice, thanks.   Collective Soul is also a forum-inspired idea from a while ago, and I just decided to bump it up because I know they have some good compilations and 'bests' at this point.  I love the idea they recorded with a youth symphony, so that sounds like a great choice for me.   They're another very good band that came out of the great 90's decade.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I would add Robert Johnson,Buddy Guy,Willie Dixon and Albert Collins to the list of blues to check out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If it's the blues you're diving into then you want to check out Little Walter  and Sonny Boy Williamson (aka Rice Miller, there are 2 Sonny Boys.  This one, you already know some of his stuff even if you don't know it yet).   Both killer harp players and great singers.   Don't always get the instrument chops and voice in one package, these guys have both.

Ought to find some room for some John Lee Hooker in there as well. 

I suspect Wolf is one you've heard before too.  That voice is pretty hard to forget.

[/QUOTE]

Of course I heartily recommend the Wolf to anyone. Let's not forget to add Wolf's great rival, Muddy Waters. I also like Elmore James.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I just moved - with my vinyl albums and cd's - my car looked like I was carrying a grand piano in my trunk and I think my tires scuffed the wheel wells! It took 2 of us to load the crates of vinyl and cds. Soooooooo, what music is on my wish list? I'll let you know once I trade them all in! ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Anybody hear of a guy named Michael Kiwanuka? If not ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTa28a8QKo4

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Excellent advice, thanks.   Collective Soul is also a forum-inspired idea from a while ago, and I just decided to bump it up because I know they have some good compilations and 'bests' at this point.  I love the idea they recorded with a youth symphony, so that sounds like a great choice for me.   They're another very good band that came out of the great 90's decade.  

[/QUOTE]

I'll second hfx's suggestion on this one...a better overall snapshot of their career, IMO, and very well presented with a very enthusiastic young orchestra.  The DVD isn't bad, either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bon Iver - For Emma I need to get..

Also really getting more into Sonic Youth and going to pick up a couple of their older CD's. I somehow missed the boat on them years ago.

[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I just got this (BI) for my mom - a folkster from wayyy back - for xmas.

She saw them on PBS and was duly impressed.

As for Sonic Youth, you can't go wrong with EVOL, Goo, Sister or Daydream Nation...the latter two being my faves from that era.

They are most definitely an acquired taste; they can test your patience, but the effort is worth it, IMO.

I'm buying for others now, but I've really been eyeing these:

Ian Anderson's 'sequel' to "Thick As A Brick": "Whatever Happened to Gerald Bostock?"

"Woody At 100" - the Smithsonian's Woody Guthrie box set

The Preservation Hall Jazz Band's "50th Anniversary Collection"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Ought to find some room for some John Lee Hooker in there as well."

I need to get more. I have "Boogie Chillum" (live). But that's it.

"I would add Robert Johnson,Buddy Guy,Willie Dixon and Albert Collins to the list of blues to check out"

Ordered some Willie Dixon this morning.

Already have "Robert Johnson: The Complete Recordings (the centennial collection)". A true master.

"Let's not forget to add Wolf's great rival, Muddy Waters."

Also ordered this morning. Along with a ton more Otis Spann, Albert King, B B King

[/QUOTE]

The Collectables label has reissued some great John Lee Hooker Vee Jay albums.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been re-starting my vinyl collection and upgrading or looking at 180G reissues lately.

Nothing major, but I picked up Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey, AC/DC's Back in Black, Mudcrutch Self titled) and Nora Jones's Come Away With Me, but on 200g.

Yes, I like Norah Jones and it's partially because I have a raging crush on her.

[/QUOTE]

Not that you asked...

...but I totally approve of the shift back to vinyl LPs, especially with an eye on lasting quality in the pressings.  And though I'm not likely to re-start myself any time soon, I'm genuinely curious:

What made you decide to go 'back' to wax...?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just wondering if you have any music on tap that you're either in the process of pursuing, or have on your wish list or "list" to purchase.   Still on the fence?  Still ruminating?

My list is too long to post in full, so here's a sampler of a few toppers:

Alison Krauss (and Union Station) - Live (live album)

Band of Horses (looking into an album)

Wilco - The Whole Love

Collective Soul - possibly 7-Year Itch (or another compilation or hits album)

Black Crowes - Amorica

... and many more, some classical, too.    

Are any of you looking for anything in particular?

NOTE: Got hold of Keane's "Hopes and Fears" recently, and it more than met my expectations.  I was concerned about the "mainstream hits" :)  on the album (that I would be tired of them), but that did not even occur to me in the context of the album.  It's a case of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"  (Aristotle) in all its glory.  :)

[/QUOTE]  What kind of music do you usually lean to? [/QUOTE]

Gosh, that's a good question.  I might not have the most eclectic taste, but it's a bit hard to characterize my leanings.    Ambient (or the formerly known as shoe-gazer or trip hop, although those are not terms I tend to use), and more low-key rock, such as Massive Attack, and melodic rock such as the band Keane.

Been growing in my taste with Americana music, somewhat hybrid rock and folk, maybe?   Older music would be along the lines of Jackson Browne in that realm.  Today I heard a song by a band called Family of the Year called "Hero" that was real nice.    Got into the Scorpions (forum inspired) over the past couple of years.   The thing with me is that I'm open to try anything ... doesn't mean I'll take to it, but the fact that I am receptive, brings lots of music I never expected right to me. 

Why?  Got a recommendation?   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Ought to find some room for some John Lee Hooker in there as well."

I need to get more. I have "Boogie Chillum" (live). But that's it.

"I would add Robert Johnson,Buddy Guy,Willie Dixon and Albert Collins to the list of blues to check out"

Ordered some Willie Dixon this morning.

Already have "Robert Johnson: The Complete Recordings (the centennial collection)". A true master.

"Let's not forget to add Wolf's great rival, Muddy Waters."

Also ordered this morning. Along with a ton more Otis Spann, Albert King, B B King

[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to Amazon to a great Howlin' Wolf CD. This is material he recorded for the RPM/Modern label and it is a great bunch of raw, rough and rockin' Wolf songs. I have the earlier version of this CD called Howlin's Wolf Rides Again which has 18 tracks. Great stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Sings-Blues-Howlin-Wolf/dp/B00024GY40/ref=pd_sim_m_3

Sections
Shortcuts