What's the last album you listened to?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: What's the last album you listened to?

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Vitology, Pearl Jam .  Only the 2nd time I've ever listened.  Didn't like most of it the first time around. The second time it grew on me,  so about half of it I like now.

Bring the Family, John Hiatt.  Another recent purchase.  Love every tune on it.

Keepers,  Guy Clark.  An older live album that I've loved for over a decade.  Guy's recent, long overdue Grammy has me revisiting some of his material.

It's Hiatt's best, IMO. Hiatt is a helluva songwriter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aYxMuLb3h8

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The Concretes - The Concretes

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

Elastica -Elastica

Elastica - The Menace

I'm more of an Ipod person nowadays so I don't listen to whole albums much lately but these are the last 4 I listened to (I know this because the CD's are in my car which is the only place I listen to full albums).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Because I'm bombarded with this album's picture on a daily basis, I decided to give it a listen. The last 2 songs of this album, "Stargazer" and "Do You Close Your Eyes" are the best in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love that album.

I just listened to The Pop Group - Y.  An experimental, post punk mess imo. Not a big fan of experimental stuff like this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Bo Diddley - In the Spotlight

Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece

Blondie - Blondie

Ramones - Ramones

Ramones - Rocket to Russia

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to Rich1273's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love that album.

I just listened to The Pop Group - Y.  An experimental, post punk mess imo. Not a big fan of experimental stuff like this.

[/QUOTE]

The Pop group was one of those bands heavily influenced by Public Image Limited. Y is not as good as Second Edition/Metal Box but "She is Beyond Good and Evil' is a great song.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - 'Long After Dark'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_VZ72bz65g

Funkadelic - 'Free Your Mind and Your Azz Will Follow'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfVSqQ7FcDY

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Brinsley Schwarz - Please Don't Ever Change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy6GdgiuMHs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy and the Poor Boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dsVgrO8cqQ

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cedrikduncan011. Show cedrikduncan011's posts

I listen to imagine dragons album cause i love their the radioactive and demons.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

last 2

The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand (drone metal)

One of the best metal albums I've heard in a long time, with some long ambient parts. Very unique.

Steve Roach - Structures from Silence (ambient)

Ususally ambient doesn't keep my attention, but this is fantastic. Three long spacey ambient tracks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

You might all hate me for writing this, one of you certainly will.......but if, IMO, you love music and don't own a turntable you are denying yourself at least 30% of the pleasure of music.

The sound quality of CDs vs vinyl is, IMO, a huge gulf and anyone with an open mind and ears will hear and acknowledge it within seconds.  Literally, it's not even close.

mp3s?  They make CDs sound good.....total rubbish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You might all hate me for writing this, one of you certainly will.......but if, IMO, you love music and don't own a turntable you are denying yourself at least 30% of the pleasure of music.

The sound quality of CDs vs vinyl is, IMO, a huge gulf and anyone with an open mind and ears will hear and acknowledge it within seconds.  Literally, it's not even close.

[/QUOTE]

Not surprisingly, I disagree with you about CD vs. vinyl sound quality. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really DD?  IMO the sound of mp3s is of a wildly poor standard compared to vinyl...it's awful.  The CD/vinyl gap is not as profound, IMO, but significant and obvious, particularly for certain types of music....as I type this I'm thinking the sort of music I generally listen to is better suited to vinyl which colours my view, but I still think anyone could hear any music on CD and vinyl formats and easily, instantly identify which is which.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really DD?  IMO the sound of mp3s is of a wildly poor standard compared to vinyl...it's awful.  The CD/vinyl gap is not as profound, IMO, but significant and obvious, particularly for certain types of music....as I type this I'm thinking the sort of music I generally listen to is better suited to vinyl which colours my view, but I still think anyone could hear any music on CD and vinyl formats and easily, instantly identify which is which.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on mp3s. Quality is sacrificed for posrtablility and convenience.

As far as vinyl vs. CD, it all depends on what Master source is used. A CD that simply uses the same master as the vinyl record used tends to sound worse than the vinyl. But using a good Master source on CD can give you excellent sound quality that can exceed the vinyl equivalent. A lot depends on the Master source and the original medium used to record the music.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on mp3s. Quality is sacrificed for posrtablility and convenience.

As far as vinyl vs. CD, it all depends on what Master source is used. A CD that simply uses the same master as the vinyl record used tends to sound worse than the vinyl. But using a good Master source on CD can give you excellent sound quality that can exceed the vinyl equivalent. A lot depends on the Master source and the original medium used to record the music.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with all your mp3 comments.

Not with you on the other, though I'm absolutely NOT an expert on the issue and would welcome all views.   In my music scene, including most of the bands on our label and most of the bands I know and love, most/all play/use/record on vintage instruments, amps and studios.  Can I tell by ear if a git player is using a vintage Ricky or a modern one?  Absolutely not, I assume some can.  Drum kit?  Nope, not me.  Keys?  Hell yeah, seems obvious to me if someone is playing a vintage Vox/Farfisa (which I love) or a Hammond (eh) vs a modern "equivalent".  

Cooked dinner last night for a mate (jerk chicken, not from scratch but if you want to buy a brilliant jerk sauce, let me know, Louie is the Man.  Comically, it's called "Boston Jerk".  Hello!)....my guest was from a totally different music scene (he's into techno/ambient sort of stuff).  He laughed when I told him I prefer mono to studio recordings.  If he disagreed with my taste, fine, art is subjective.  But he believes four legs good, two legs bad....absurd, IMO.

Most bands in our scene record in analog (I prefer that and think I can hear the difference), and some to tape....pointless, IMO....I absolutely cannot hear the difference if a lacquer is made from a CD or a tape, and don't believe many/most/anyone could.  

I'm aware that proper sound engineers will (for a vinyl and CD release) make two masters...one for vinyl, one for CD.  I've never asked why.....am going to.  I don't think I'm ignorant or lazy, I just don't give a crap about digital music.  

Finally, I think it's obvious if an album is being played from CD or vinyl....but that's me.  I've tried to make it clear that I'm no expert, and there are some things some people claim they can distinguish that I am unable to hear (yet!).

Buy vinyl or bye bye vinyl!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

SonicsMonks is correct. Vinyl has superior sound than CD, ceteris paribus (no issues with dust on vinyl, etc), due to the following:

• Original sound is based on Analog waves
    • Vinyl records are based on Analog waves
    • CDs are based on Digital waves

Digital waves try to simulate Analog waves by taking snapshots over a time period but never captures the full spectrum. Not to be too technical, the following diagram helps:

• The solid red line represents Analog waves (Vinyl)
    • The black stepped line represents Digital waves (CD)

Note how the black stepped line (Digital - CD) never equates the solid red line (Anolog - Vinyl) precisely.

In summary, Analog (Vinyl) has superior sound to Digital (CD), ceteris paribus.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In reverse order, from memory from last night:  The History of Northwest Rock Volume 1, The Real Kids' eponymous debut, Barrence Whitfield and the Savages' "Savage Kings", The Revellions' "Give It Time", The Malarians' "Know", Barrence Whitfield and the Savages' "Dig Thy Savage Soul" (by a wide margin my favourite album from 2013).....plus a bunch of singles then we got a bit "tired and emotional" so played some vids/albums from that gay monster Alan Turing's computer thingy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

SonicsMonks is correct. Vinyl has superior sound than CD, ceteris paribus (no issues with dust on vinyl, etc), due to the following:

• Original sound is based on Analog waves
    • Vinyl records are based on Analog waves
    • CDs are based on Digital waves

Digital waves try to simulate Analog waves by taking snapshots over a time period but never captures the full spectrum. Not to be too technical, the following diagram helps:

• The solid red line represents Analog waves (Vinyl)
    • The black stepped line represents Digital waves (CD)

Note how the black stepped line (Digital - CD) never equates the solid red line (Anolog - Vinyl) precisely.

In summary, Analog (Vinyl) has superior sound to Digital (CD), ceteris paribus.

[/QUOTE]

For laymen, which includes me, just look at the size of a 3-minute mp3 file....around 3mb....a proper audio file (AIFF, WAV, etc.) for the same 3-minute song?  About 30mb..... so no Mount Everests and no Mariana Trenches.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

For laymen, which includes me, just look at the size of a 3-minute mp3 file....around 3mb....a proper audio file (AIFF, WAV, etc.) for the same 3-minute song?  About 30mb..... so no Mount Everests and no Mariana Trenches.  

[/QUOTE]

I think even mp3 files can vary in size. Agree in this case that bigger is always better. As far as vinyl vs. CD, I will concede only this: vinyl usually sounds different than CD due partly to the physical nature of a needle running in a groove. You may prefer that sound, but that doesn't mean it is "better".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The Up Escalator - Graham Parker & the Rumour (on CD) Tongue Out

"I ask the landlord

How much you making?

Don't you get tired of just taking and taking?

I ask the neighbor

Why are you so stupid?

Giving us those dirty looks and trying to murder Cupid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QNphKjOg4

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Big Head Todd & The Monsters - Black Beehive (2014)

- A friend gifted me this recently, and it's really grown on me.  I've never been a huge BHT fan (kinda meh)...but this album has some great tunes and sounds much fresher than anything else I've heard from them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Solace - 13

I'm not the biggest metal fan in the world, but this is fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Kyuss' Welcome to Sky Valley.

DJ Spooky - Songs of a Dead Dreamer

Sort of an electronic/instrumental hip hop mix.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

Indeed, I definitely always go with the best format when importing from CD to iTunes.

Of course, doesn't vinyl have its own set of potential downsides? Namely, the disc can wear down and that affects sound quality too? Needle jumping a groove? Etc.

(And of course....you need a little more space for the equipment)

My point was mostly theoretical and my ceteris paribus about vinyl includes those downsides you mentioned (not to mention portability). In summary, you can't have everything.

Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I'm quite impressed with Muse and have been listening to their records lately. Their genre is alternative rock, new prog, space rock, symphonic rock and progressive metal. This is the closest band I know that sounds like Queen.

From their album "The 2nd Law", the song Survival is a very uplifting song as well as the songs Uprising and Resistance from their "The Resistance" album.

This band has quite an impressive sound for a 3 member band and it's quite obvious they listened to Queen growing up ... see especially United States of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage) on their "The Resistance" album.