When best vocal(s) are not sung by the lead singer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

When best vocal(s) are not sung by the lead singer

What are some of the best vocals on outstanding songs that were sung by a band member *other* than the lead / primary singer?   

One of Boston's finest:

"Drive" -  Benjamin Orr, bassist for the Cars

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Re: When best vocal(s) are not sung by the lead singer

Act Naturally ("There gonna put me in the movies.....), sung by Ringo Star of The Beatles.  In my opinion, Ringo had the tone and the diction.  I can't see the other three doing a better job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: When best vocal(s) are not sung by the lead singer:
    [QUOTE]Trying not to disapoint you Yoga, I'll give you one by REM. Bassist Mike Mills took the lead on " Superman". George Harrison with "Something", "Here Comes The Sun", Tax Man...and  others. I know he's an obvious choice, but also probably the best in this category if you will. IMO.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Wow, I did not know that.  His voice is very similar to Stipe's.

It makes sense as it's a cover i.e. generally the composer sings the songs they wrote.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: When best vocal(s) are not sung by the lead singer:
    [QUOTE]Act Naturally ("There gonna put me in the movies.....), sung by Ringo Star of The Beatles.  In my opinion, Ringo had the tone and the diction.  I can't see the other three doing a better job.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

I agree it was an inspired choice to have Ringo sing (the cover) because the self-deprecating lyrics are a perfect match to his style, tone and image.

I think "It Don't Come Easy" (which Ringo wrote) works brilliantly for similar reasons.