Where were they then?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Where were they then?

Billy Gibbons - Started with a Garage band called The Moving Sidewalks.  Killer track:  "99th Floor" (geddit?).  Have been playing again recently, go.

Mel Tormé - To kids like me growing up, he was just some old guy my parents seemed to like for reasons I couldn't fathom.  Then I learned a few things, paid some attention and while I never really quite got it I developed some respect for him.  Great voice, composed a couple of famous, if a bit cheesy, songs...etc.  A few years ago I was at a Northern Soul all-nighter with a Northern Soul girl I was seeing at the time [that scene can be so precious it makes me sick....they often put talcom powder on the dance floor and discourage you from dancing with a drink lest you spill it on the dance floor....urgh!].  A song came on that blew me away....a classic in the scene by no other than Mel Tormé:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_ODg0FmzQ    Genius.

Bob Seger - Bob Seger and the Last Heard "East Side Story".  1966?  Brilliant.  Surprised that popsike (great web pricing guide) suggests the single only goes for $138: http://www.popsike.com/45-record-Bob-Seger-on-Hideout-Records-East-Side-StoryEast-Side-Sound/320882613894.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Where were they then?

Another early band you might enjoy (apols if I'm being patronising, you may well know them) is Shane McGowan's band The Nipple Erectors (forced to change their name to The Nips, as if that made a difference!).  Great band, killer track:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2AxWPQVOBA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Billy Gibbons - Started with a Garage band called The Moving Sidewalks.  Killer track:  "99th Floor" (geddit?).  Have been playing again recently, go.

Mel Tormé - To kids like me growing up, he was just some old guy my parents seemed to like for reasons I couldn't fathom.  Then I learned a few things, paid some attention and while I never really quite got it I developed some respect for him.  Great voice, composed a couple of famous, if a bit cheesy, songs...etc.  A few years ago I was at a Northern Soul all-nighter with a Northern Soul girl I was seeing at the time [that scene can be so precious it makes me sick....they often put talcom powder on the dance floor and discourage you from dancing with a drink lest you spill it on the dance floor....urgh!].  A song came on that blew me away....a classic in the scene by no other than Mel Tormé:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_ODg0FmzQ    Genius.

Bob Seger - Bob Seger and the Last Heard "East Side Story".  1966?  Brilliant.  Surprised that popsike (great web pricing guide) suggests the single only goes for $138: http://www.popsike.com/45-record-Bob-Seger-on-Hideout-Records-East-Side-StoryEast-Side-Sound/320882613894.html

That's Mel Torme?    That is HOT.   That has to be very early Torme.  I always thought he was more of a Sinatra clone.  

RE: Gibbons.   He seems to have had a full-bodied career.   Many know him b/c he's had a recurring role on the TV show, "Bones" where he plays the father of one of the characters, and has a grand child.  I've only seen him on the show a few times.    He plays himself (but fictionalized); not the greatest actor, but he's fun.

The middle name of his daughter on Bones is Pearly Gates, which is a nod to the name of Gibbons' guitar.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

No surprise to me, Mel Torme is a great talent.

Why would anyone want to hold their drink while dancing? Why would anyone drink at all while dancing, unless it was to stay hydrated?

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A notable"where were they then" artist, who is in the limelight due to her new album, is Mavis Staples.    The album was produced by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy.   

Nice review of the album for those that are interested.   It's more rare for an older female singer to continue to thrive, although jazz and blues singers are more likely to make it than rockers; either way, Mavis Staples is a standout.   

Mavis Staples, "One True Vine" (***1/2 rating for album)

"At 73, Mavis Staples remains a nonpareil vocalist who sounds able to blow a building down by simply exhaling. What's nice about "One True Vine," the second Staples solo album produced by fellow Chicagoan Jeff Tweedy, is that it resists the temptation to put all that industrial-strength power to nonessential use.

Instead, the 10-track set, which includes three songs by Tweedy, as well as songs by Low, Nick Lowe, and George Clinton, takes a deeply relaxed, richly comforting approach in which the singer says as much with a whisper as a shout, and the band -- which consists of Tweedy and his son Spencer -- moves forward in an understated saunter. "I reached the point in time where I want to be real," the gospel great sings, sounding utterly at ease on "I Like the Things About Me," a song cowritten decades ago by her father Roebuck "Pops" Staples. Wonderful stuff."

Nothing you have not given away, will ever be really yours - C.S. Lewis

Sections
Shortcuts