Where were you December 8, 1980?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Where were you December 8, 1980?

I can't believe it was thirty years ago tonight we lost John Lennon. One of the biggest rock icons of all time from the greatest group of our time. I was in my last year of college working at a fast food restaraunt. As we were getting ready to leave somebody heard on the radio that John Lennon was shot. I rushed home to hear the latest news. I walk into the house and my Dad told me Cosell had just announced that he was shot and killed in New York. He had this angry look on his face(He was no Beatles fan but was very anti-gun and violence) The Pats were playing the Dolphins and ended up losing in OT because of a blocked field goal. The one time they lost to the hated Fins and I could have cared less. That blew their playoff chances also. But like I said all I did was keep the radio on through 2 or 3 in the morning listening to DJ Ed Sciacky a long time Philly DJ interview Billy Joel and Steve Van Zant(Springteen was playing in Philly that night and had to make that announcement. That must have been very tough) Many callers were just shocked and upset. I'll never forget that night. Isn't it ironic that people who are for peace and anti-war are killed? Lennon, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Anwar Sadat, Itshak Rabin??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Where were you December 8, 1980?

i was 5 years, 10 months and 7 days away from being born. yet i still know more about the beatles than i know about pretty much any subject at all.

cultural impact indeed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I found out the next morning in 3rd grade.  All the girls were crying, as were most of the teachers, I recall.  I remember one kid sweariing up-and-down that the ayatollah killed him....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am not ashamed to say I wept when I heard the news.

"I heard the news today...oh boy! about a lucky man who made the grade..."

"Nowhere man, the world is at your command"

"All we are saying , is give peace a chance."

These words were replaying in my head, and the ironic "bigger than Jesus" phrase as Lennon was betrayed and crucified by a person who called himself a fan and who had recently asked for an autograph ...perhaps the modern day "kiss" of Judas Escariot?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: Where were you December 8, 1980?:
    [QUOTE] ...perhaps the modern day "kiss" of Judas Escariot?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

interesting, i think that fits quite well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My parents owned a home in Florida and I was visiting that week with my new gf. We had gone to Disneyworld that day and I got back to my parents just as they were announcing it on MNF. I cried like a little baby for two days. Even my father understood what this meant to me and he hated everything about the Beatles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I was watching Monday Night Football.  Howard Cosell was the one I heard the news from.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

My next door neighbors room in Cance House on the UMass-Amherst Campus.  Watching MNF.

Coincidently I was in the same bldg, different floor, 3 years prior when I heard some guys hollering in the hallway that the Skynyrd plane had gone down. At that point we didn't know if there were any casualties.  

I moved out before the third shoe dropped.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]My next door neighbors room in Cance House on the UMass-Amherst Campus.  Watching MNF. Coincidently I was in the same bldg, different floor, 3 years prior when I heard some guys hollering in the hallway that the Skynyrd plane had gone down. At that point we didn't know if there were any casualties.   I moved out before the third shoe dropped.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Good move Slim.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]   I moved out before the third shoe dropped.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Interesting choice of words.

Most people have but two feet, so therefore two shoes.

What type being that wears shoes has three feet?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where were you December 8, 1980? : Interesting choice of words. Most people have but two feet, so therefore two shoes. What type being that wears shoes has three feet?

OK Zilla, not one of your best Tongue out, but an C++ for effort.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am wondering, anyone else out there not own Double Fantasy? I wasn't impressed when first released and I sh*t sure wasn't buying it after fkhead shot John.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I was woken up by my older brother, who heard it from Howard Cosell on MNF.  I remembered he said that my father told him to come up and tell me. (though I had begun to expand what I listened to, I had gone through a period where the Beatles were the only music I would listen to) it was the first time that my father acknowledged that one of his kids would be interested in any thing but sports.  Before that listening to any rock was allowed, but frowned upon as a waist of time.  He was moved by the assassination which was unexpected and strange.  It kind of brought us to some common ground and in a strange way opened up our relationship to a more equal level, just a bit.

Jessery,

I did not buy 2lb fantasy for years.  I think I was too young to get into it.  I picked it when I got older and low and behold It had gotten a lot better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

The sad thing about it is that Lennon had found peace. He and Yoko's relationship was better then ever, and he just released a new album with that in mind. He had put on weight for the better. You could tell he was off drugs. (When I saw him in Philly in 1975 he was real skinny and didn't look good) He and Yoko had a five year old son. Just so very sad and tragic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where were you December 8, 1980? : Interesting choice of words.

Thanks, I also mix a mean metaphor. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]My parents owned a home in Florida and I was visiting that week with my new gf. We had gone to Disneyworld that day and I got back to my parents just as they were announcing it on MNF. I cried like a little baby for two days. Even my father understood what this meant to me and he hated everything about the Beatles.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

After your display, how much longer was she your girlfriend....Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Like most for me it was MNF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

I was 8 and only cared about playing hockey in the winter months back then. 

As an adult, Mark David Chapman makes my top 10 list of most despicable humans ever. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I was 8 and only cared about playing hockey in the winter months back then.  As an adult, Mark David Chapman makes my top 10 list of most despicable humans ever. 
    Posted by schadenfreude99[/QUOTE]

I read a book, years ago that made a very interesting case for Chapman being "programmed" by the CIA to assassinate Lennon. The book creates a scenerio where he was a "sleeper agent" who would be triggered by a word or phrase to spring into action. It sounds like science fiction (which is why I love this explanation) , people want to believe that all "conspiracy theories" are false and none true. The truth is some are true and some are not but if people don't ask and don't examine the facts , they will never know.

I believe that there is at least a 50/50 chance that Chapman and Lee Harvey Oswald were "sleeper agents" who were drugged , programmed, trained, given an assignment and then were instructed to forget. 

Lennon and Kennedy were two very influential people, who made more than a few enemies among certain people with power and friends. It is well documented that Lennon was under intense scrutiny from the government and his re-emergence to public life in 1980 was seen as a threat to the Reagan administration.

The truth is out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where were you December 8, 1980? : After your display, how much longer was she your girlfriend....Just kidding, I couldn't resist. Like most for me it was MNF.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

newman - chicks dig a guy who can show his emotions. She did everything she could to make me feel better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where were you December 8, 1980? : newman - chicks dig a guy who can show his emotions. She did everything she could to make me feel better.

NICE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Sorry I missed this when it first appeared.

I was at the Ground Round (it may have still been called the C*** 'n Bull at the time) at the Maine Mall is South Portland with a group of friends watching the Pats and Dolphins on MNF.  Howard Cosell broke the news to a couple of hundred people in the room at the time.  More than a few people were wiping tears away.  I remember John Smith was about to attempt a field goal but the result of that is a total loss.  The place fell silent.  I was up all night listening to WBLM wondering just how in hell something like this could happen.  John Lennon.  SHOT? 

I had bought Double Fantasy the day it was released.  It was 2 or 3 weeks earlier.  Yes, I was that big a fan and had been deleriously happy that John was back making music again - even if he felt he had to share it with Yoko.  After these events unfolded, I was kind of glad he did.  He died a happy and fulfilled man and that made it OK with me.

I can't believe they made me change the name of a restaurant.  BDC takes some things way too far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Can you say Dick Nixon?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

They do know that c*** fighting involves chickens, don't they?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Late to the party, but ... was studying for a test in high school, which itself is a rarity. Was watching the Patriots-Dolphins game but realized I wasn't getting much studying done. So I flipped off the game probably about 10 minutes before Howard's announcement.
    Hour or so later I gave up and went to bed. Always used to listen to the radio while falling asleep, right as I turned it on the announcer said "we'll have more on the John Lennon shooting in a minute." It never occurred to me he had been shot. I thought maybe he was shooting a movie.
    Then when I figured it out, I walked aimlessly around the house until my mother found me starting out the window in the kitchen.
    He meant a lot to so many of us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I am wondering, anyone else out there not own Double Fantasy? I wasn't impressed when first released and I sh*t sure wasn't buying it after fkhead shot John.

If I remember right, I bought it two days before he was shot. Half of it is great, half of it is crap. I'm sure you can figure out which is which.