Where's your "rip-off" line?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Where's your "rip-off" line?

If I had to choose, I think mine is lead vocalist.  I think....at least generally.   My original composition bias is well-known here, no need to cover old ground.

Bands have changed git players, drummers, even (joint) composers over time.  And I have sometimes been ok with that....but...

I can only think of one band - not even one of my top faves - that changed lead singers but I still loved them and thought it worked:  AC/DC.

Did any of your build your cities on any other rock'n'roll?

;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Where's your

Black Sabbath changed lead singers with Ronnie James Dio....and made perhaps their best album ever, although this is highly debatable.

...and Deep Purple changed lead singers twice, and then changed back again.....all of them "worked" as far as I am concerned. Rod Evans, Ian Gillan and David Coverdale...( Joe Lynn Turner did one in the 80's also)

Iron Maiden sounds as good with Blaze as they did with Dickinson.

Crosby , Stills, Nash and Young had four "lead" vocalists and there is no dropoff in quality from any (they mainly sang lead on the songs they wrote).

Many groups have functioned with "revolving" lead singers, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Cream and the Beatles all did it successfully.

I'm not sure if this is your point, your posts are often enigmatic, but I am just answering your third paragraph....we're you mention AC/DC....and it certainly worked for them, although most everyone gives the nod to Bon Scott....Brian was a good replacement, I mean what choice was there?...quit?, not likely. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Zilla.  I think your Sabbath/DP examples are solid, which is why I asked.  Bands with multiple lead singers less so....not just because there were always options, but your Byrds/Beatles/CSNY examples have made me refocus my comment/question i.e. those three great bands didn't have a "front man" along the lines of a Bon Scott, Ozzie, etc.

I do take issue with your comment re AC/DC "what choice was there?"  Quitting was/should have been an option.  I think it was.  I'm really glad they tried to find a quality replacement (though BJ has a pedestrian voice IMO, he's not bad and also composed), and they did!  Great!

The other end of the spectrum is Homer Simpson's favourite song.  "We built this city" by Jefferson Ripoff.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah, I gotta say Sonics, I'm afraid the exact meaning of the thread title and opening post are a tad difficult to comprehend.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

As expected, I have no line. A band name is just a brand name. It is not sacred. I may or may not like the music of the substitutes but that is irrelevant. As Slim said, if the fans dig it, who am I to put it down?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Hi Zilla.  

I do take issue with your comment re AC/DC "what choice was there?"  Quitting was/should have been an option.  I think it was.  I'm really glad they tried to find a quality replacement (though BJ has a pedestrian voice IMO, he's not bad and also composed), and they did!  Great!

Does quitting become an option because your lead singer dies suddenly?

Sports teams don't quit when their best player goes down with a season ending injury.

Heck, they even found a replacement for Darren on Bewitched...because in the entertainment industry ...the show must go on.

Led Zeppelin chose not to go on after losing Bonham, but they were close to the end of their creative period anyway....so were the Who, but they recruited Kenny Jones and moved forward.

Yes, for many groups, such as Lynyrd Skynyrd , the loss of the lead singer is truly devastating. Although the group continues, we all know it's poor substsitute for what was lost, Ronnie WAS Lynyrd Skynyrd....even though they had some killer guitars on many of their great songs.....Gimme Three Steps is Ronnie at his best, a fantastic song that reminds of the Allman's 'One Way Out.'

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Midlake's new album has gotten some decent reviews despite the singer quitting. What makes it more surprising is their previous lead singer was their song writer also. This is like Wilco losing Jeff Tweedy and carrying on. I haven't heard the album myself but I thought it was a pertinant comparison.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, I gotta say Sonics, I'm afraid the exact meaning of the thread title and opening post are a tad difficult to comprehend.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Hf/all if my OP's final sentence "Did any of you build your cities on rock'n'roll? (edits here)" was confusing. That was a reference to, IMO, the worst song of all time "We built this city on rock'n'roll" by Jefferson Starship.....roughly, IMO, 30% terrible song, 20% laughably arrogant nonsense, and 50% no members of the original band.

But I think the responses are interesting, heartfelt, knowledgeable and what I was after.

• My original example, AC/DC, is a good example IMO because a band made a major change (lost their frontman, joint composer, and a very unusual voice) and it worked really well;
    • Slim's example, Lynyrd Skynyrd, with respect, doesn't work for me at all i.e. how is one original guy different from a tribute band?
    • I saw the Allman Brothers Band a few times in the late 70s, and I thought it was fine.....Greg, Dickie Betts...legit IMO;
    • I was in Boston last June and a mate got me a ticket to see The Stranglers and The Nervous Eaters.  The Eaters were great, was wonderful to see them after so many years and still kicking a$$$.  But Hugh Cornwell left The Stranglers (top 10-15 bands ever for me) what, 20 years ago?  It's just not legit to me....not to mention Jet wasn't drumming either that night.  How is my AC/DC example different from my Stranglers example?  Because AC/DC was still a relatively young, unknown band in 1980 and Brian Johnson (though I think his voice is a pedestrian, screaming metal voice) could compose and has a bit of duende....but the Stranglers were a huge band in their scene and after 20+ plus years....playing without Hugh is just not legit to me.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts