Which do you prefer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Which do you prefer?

The studio version of your favorite artist's song/album OR the "live" concert version???

It's a tough one for me. I like Joe Jackson a lot and went to one of his concerts were he proceeded to play his latest album track by track - NOTE for NOTE with about 9 musicians on the stage to help him out. I was dissapointed, I was hoping for the "live" version - you know when the lyrics stay the same but that 2 minute guitar solo gets stretched out to 5 minutes and all of a sudden the sound of the original rock song has a reggae beat!

What do you prefer?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Which do you prefer?

It all depends on the performer. I like Joe Jackson too, but he tends to play his latest album much like the studio version while playing his older material in a different way live. Only got to see Joe live twice and both times he was outstanding. Saw Van Morrison once and Bob Dylan twice and much prefer their studio versions over their terrible live versions. For some it's a tossup. B.B,. King is great either way. What's better with B.B. live is you get to see and feel his great rapport with his audience which really makes the live experience special, regardless of how he plays the songs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Great question.  Easy one for me:  live.  Passion and power trumps all.....a few bum notes or duff lyrics are nothing.  Exceptions:

• Note-for-note pedantry:  Kill me first, then yourselves to spare my children;
    • {blank} solos....yeah, that's cool.  10 minutes of Pigpen covering hippie happiness backstage....or 5 Ramones songs....that's a tough one.
    • Worst of all:  "this next one goes out to our great friend Thingy.....

I've posted this before, but I think it's worth repeating:

With one exception, there are only three acceptable things for rock'n'roll bands to say onstge:

• "One two"
    • "One two three"
    • "One two three four"

The exception of course is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnmHgnPPkkQ

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree accept for one or two performers; first, Freddie Mercury. His conversation with the audience was completely in step with a live Queen show. The other being Tom Waits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

To me,it kind of depends on the band/or song.For example Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" was much better live than on the studio album.The same with the Stone's "Midnight Rambler".

Conversely,Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the Moon" and  the Who's "Won't get fooled again" sound better on the studio albums than the llive versions,IMHO.

Some bands only became "Superstars' because of their live albums.Kiss,REO Speedwagon,Bob Seger,Peter Frampton and Lynyrd Skynyrd are pretty good examples of that.They all had some noteriety but their "Live" albums put them over the top.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Live versions almost as a rule.

The exceptions being those as mentioned (Dylan) or certain studio-centric pieces.  Ideally, a great song is still a great song if it's played competently

Though there nothing like the surprise of a highly produced song being played well on stage.  

As for solos and improv, that is, to me, one of the defining aspects of live performance and speaks to both the tightness and playfulness of the band.  Because if they're not having a little fun with it, then why bother...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Conversely,Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the Moon" and  the Who's "Won't get fooled again" sound better on the studio albums than the llive versions,IMHO.

Even Waters-less, there are some bits of DSOTM live that work really well, IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One more thing, fwiw:

There are so many great Beatles songs they never got the chance to play/record live.  It's just unfortunate, but even as a fan, I can't help but feel it's a gap in their otherwise deep legacy.

I would be curious to hear any live versions of Beatle songs (even covers) the forum suggest as the most interesting examples.

"Dear Prudence" by Jerry Garcia Band is a big one for me, as is Jimi's take on "Day Tripper".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

One more thing, fwiw:

There are so many great Beatles songs they never got the chance to play/record live.  It's just unfortunate, but even as a fan, I can't help but feel it's a gap in their otherwise deep legacy.

I would be curious to hear any live versions of Beatle songs (even covers) the forum suggest as the most interesting examples.

"Dear Prudence" by Jerry Garcia Band is a big one for me, as is Jimi's take on "Day Tripper".

Chicago - Got to get you into my life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBdoWVPe_88

Black Oak Arkansas -Taxman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNj-wu3mE3c

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Live.. more raw

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There are acts that are great live and  some that never excelled in concert. During the "classic era" ( mainly late 60s, 70s and early 80s) most of the top bands were very good live acts ( Deep Purple,Jefferson Airplne, J.Geils Band, Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Allman Bros., etc.) But there were acts that were mainly known as "studio bands", Steely Dan, Alan Parsons Project , etc.

I enjoy live albums and studio albums equally, I have favorites in both categories.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Widespread Panic, for me, GREAT live band, solid songwriters, good in the studio, but I really only think of them as a live band because that's where they do their best.  They're clearly a better live band than songwriters, IMO.

I don't sit around listening to Widespread Panic albums.

Great example.  I was going to post on them, since they're celebrating their 25 year anniversary this year.  Exhilarating live band.

But I differ in that I like a lot of their songs; I won't listen to whole studio albums either  (exc. Til The Medicine Takes or Ball, maybe), but I do have various studio cuts on my ipod.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Widespread Panic, for me, GREAT live band, solid songwriters, good in the studio, but I really only think of them as a live band because that's where they do their best.  They're clearly a better live band than songwriters, IMO.

I don't sit around listening to Widespread Panic albums.

Great example.  I was going to post on them, since they're celebrating their 25 year anniversary this year.  Exhilarating live band.

But I differ in that I like a lot of their songs; I won't listen to whole studio albums either  (exc. Til The Medicine Takes or Ball, maybe), but I do have various studio cuts on my ipod.  

Same here. I was just trying to point out that they aren't as good of songwriters say, like Vedder, Gossard, McCready, Ament from Pearl Jam.

Something like that.  But, they do put on a fun live show and always have.  They miss MIkey Houser big time, but that's another discussion. hah

Agreed on all counts.  They have a deep well of quality shows to draw from.

Pearl Jam and Panic would make a great double bill, though.  :))

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

I agree accept for one or two performers; first, Freddie Mercury. His conversation with the audience was completely in step with a live Queen show. The other being Tom Waits.

My comment was made in fun but heartfelt.  I loathed Freddie Mercury, but I can imagine Tom Waits being entertaining.  But to me it seems to me it can too easily be self indulgent.

What is more rock'n'roll than "Take it, Dee Dee" "1-2-3-4"....two minutes of brilliance...then "1-2-3", etc.

I think the Ramones are vastly underrated by many people.  Not that Johnny and Dee Dee were technically great players....but they were so tight.....100 miles per hours, all downstrokes.....no breaks...bang bang bang.  Rare.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

...back on message.  I can't think of a live version of a song I'd prefer to the studioalbum.