Which Musicians Do The Best Theatrics in Concert, TV, or Video?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Which Musicians Do The Best Theatrics in Concert, TV, or Video?

You know: body language, dancing, props, scenery, conversing with the audience, etc. .......... but please donot consider singing or playing an instrument.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Which Musicians Do The Best Theatrics in Concert, TV, or Video?

Springsteen's interaction with the audience has always been one of the great things about his shows.  He really does make you feel you're part of the show.

Good thread topic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

McCartney played here in 2009 and pulled out all the stops showman-wise.  Monster video screens.  Audience singalong at the end of Hey Jude.  Pulling out a young lady out of the audience who was waving a sign at him and signing her forearm for the thrill of a lifetime.  Fireballs exploding onstage during Live and Let Die.

And the piece de resistance - bringing a Nova Scotia bagpipe band on stage to accompany him for Mull of Kintyre. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree with HFX that it's a great topic for a thread,Cavaliersfan. 

For concert theatrical presentation,these would be my 3 choices.Alice Cooper,Pink Floyd and Kiss.

For pure energy "party-type" rock including conversing with the audience,I'd say J. Geils and NRBQ Always a good time when seeing  either group.

For videos,Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters are pretty consistant with high quality productions I'd also give a nod to Peter Gabriel (Sledgehammer) and Micheal Jackson (Thriller) for innovative videos

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Freddie Mercury was tops in his day.

Iron Maiden is known for their stage performance.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Thank You for the compliments on my choice for a thread.  Anyway, I have to go with Madonna and the late Michael Jackson.  Although I am not a big fan of either, I have to admit they had fabulous theatrics.  Also, I am slightly current on the more modern acts, but not enough to know who has great theatrics. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Alice Cooper was a groundbreaker with his horror movie-inspired stage stunts.  Way over the top and not in good taste, of course.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Alice was King and did so much to make a Rock Concert stage something more.  Freddie Mercury had more stage presence in his pinkie than most anyone else.  

But sadly, I must also add KISS. They may have s*cked musically, but they did give you a show.

Many of the 80's bands gave you something to see back in the day - Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison and especially Def Leppard when they did the tour "In the Round".

Let's not forget Wendy O and the Plasmatics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Back in the day, an Iron Maiden show was the total package...a heavy metal extravaganza in the best sense of the term. 

Add: Phish.  There are good reasons why their shows consistently sell out.  Few bands I've seen are quite so connected to their audience.

One more: Jane's Addiction.  Pure rock spectacle.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Alice was King and did so much to make a Rock Concert stage something more.  Freddie Mercury had more stage presence in his pinkie than most anyone else.  

But sadly, I must also add KISS. They may have s*cked musically, but they did give you a show.

Many of the 80's bands gave you something to see back in the day - Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison and especially Def Leppard when they did the tour "In the Round".

Let's not forget Wendy O and the Plasmatics.

You're right about WOW,the queen of shock rock.I know she did a movie or two also including the classic "Reform School Girls".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Peter Gabriel should be mentioned.  Both with Genesis and in his solo career, theatrics have been a big part of his stage performance.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I'm giving the round and revolving stage idea to Yes

True - but the musicians of Yes did not have the on stage energy of a young Def Leppard. I will say that the Yessongs tour was something to behold.

Keith Emerson was quite the showman as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Prince

J.Giels

and Queen

Some of the best videos`during the 80's came from the Cars - BUT! - you will NEVER see a more pathetic live concert than by the Cars! It was like watching cardboard standees in front of microphones!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Have we forgotten Jimi Hendrix and The Who? They killed it live.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Just a note to say that some artists let their music do the "theatricalizing" for them while on stage, so what they might lack in physical dynamics or rapport, much less light shows and whatnot, they more than make up for in sonic staging.  For instance:

Jeff Beck - an absolutely electric performer...like he's walking a highwire.  Ditto Carlos Santana, only with lots more latin percussion and flavor.

Steely Dan - not much to look at, but they and their crack live bands bring the goods

DMB - again, it's all about the musical improv, and this band is incredibly tight onstage

The Dead - when they're on, they're really on...even with the laser pyro-cheese for the chemically enhanced.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I generally dislike a lot of theatrics. Sure, it's good to see a band that's really into what they're doing (AIC; J.Geils; Black Keys; Slash & his new band, etc).

But for me "theatrics" evokes the sort of thing where Axl Rose is running hundreds of feet about a massive stage in his boxer briefs, and then wheezing into the microphone because guess what.....   when you chain smoke cigarettes, you run out of breath.

I suppose some acts are more designed for a big display, so there you get what you pay for. Not my thing, really, I suppose.

I can see your point.  I think, some theatrics can be used to enhance or prop up a generic sound even if its quality is of a national level.  Cases in point: no.1, Madonna, to me, does not have a distinctive enough voice even if it is outstanding;  no.2, Michael Jackson as a kid had an A+ voice but as an adult, my own opinion, is an A minus voice.  Without the theatrics, their ability to sell CD's and concert tickets would have been less and they would not have had the enormous images. 

On the other hand, the theatrics, on its own, of Michael Jackson and Madonna could be considered great art, even though I did not always approve of things I saw or heard about the two artists.  There is no doubt about their greatness.  I know everyone has their own opinion, but I'll stand by mine.         

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Peter Gabriel is a good example of an artist who has used visuals and theatrics as an artistic extension of his music.  Kiss, meanwhile, I think of as using their show for trash, flash and cash.

Sections
Shortcuts