Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?

This is assuming the whole world hasn't gone down the tubes.  For artistic value and elegance, I think "Unchained Melody" as sung by the Righteous Brothers may still be listened to 200 years from now.  For usefullness or function, I think "The Wedding March" written by Felix Mendelssohn may survive.  As far as a type of music I think Symphony will be listened to but the instruments themselves may change.  I'm sure there are plenty of examples for all these categories.  Nobodies' prediction is right or wrong.  You might think a song or type of music (rock, jazz, blues, etc.) will endure well into the future for a totally different reason.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?

BEATLES

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I really don't know as I honestly feel that we are witnessing a giant decline in overall intelligence and culture throughout society.

People are using crutches instead of their brains, today's gadgets offer instant gratification ( the texting 542-542 people can answer any stupid question you may have for .99....now you don't need to even move from your chair!)

So music that provokes thought or wonder and requires imagination is already fading away. Reading books!, forget it, young people don't do this anymore, right? Why would anyone want to listen to the music of the Beatles or King Crimson? Music that requires you to picture something in your mind ( Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, anyone?)

I'm afraid of what popular music will sound like in 2015 , nevermind 2210.

But I sincerely hope the theme song from Hawaii Five-0 is still around, long after people even know who Steve McGarret was or what "book 'em Danno" means....which will be about 5 or 10 years from now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

Classical music is still kicking that's a few hundred years old. Swing and big band music although not as popular can still be heard so i would think lots of different music will survive.  im sure much will be forgotten but the classics will remain and many new styles will be invented.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Disco won't .... except some of the Bee Gees stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?:
    Disco won't .... except some of the Bee Gees stuff.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I thought it would be gone by now.

I have a strange feeling the music we ( "we" meaning the intelligent posters here who are true rock fanatics) like will fade away before the music we hate.

Classical music has survived but with each generation fewer people are listening to it. I think maybe Rock has given it a fair run for the money, but with all the diverse types of music available the kids always seem to want to have a type music that is "theirs" , our generation embraced rock, the following generation embraced rap , the kids from the WWII era embraced big band....and so on. I think maybe music will continue to morph into some new creation that each new generation can call their own until it runs out of different styles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

What if motorcycling evolves over the span of 200 yrs. into people riding some super high tech machine.  There's a decent chance bikers will listen to Born To Be Wild  by Steppenwolf or some other singer.  It serves a function as an "anthem" song. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In 200 years, I think a lot of it will survive to a certain degree, but if you track it, it would look like an EKG. Some great stuff will likely "die" for awhile but 50 years later, different genres or groups will have a revival. I think some of the top groups of the 50s, 60s and 70s have a greater chance of staying power because they were at the birth of rock.

Newer stuff from the 90s and 00s and onward have it rougher simply because of the changes in the industrry where it's so diverse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The Beatles are immortal. And just like we listen to Mozart now, our great-great-great-great (etc.) grandkids will be listening to the Beatles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210? : I thought it would be gone by now. I have a strange feeling the music we ( "we" meaning the intelligent posters here who are true rock fanatics) like will fade away before the music we hate. Classical music has survived but with each generation fewer people are listening to it. I think maybe Rock has given it a fair run for the money, but with all the diverse types of music available the kids always seem to want to have a type music that is "theirs" , our generation embraced rock, the following generation embraced rap , the kids from the WWII era embraced big band....and so on. I think maybe music will continue to morph into some new creation that each new generation can call their own until it runs out of different styles.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]       
    What ZILLAGOD said in his last two long sentances is correct to some significant degree.  There is another significant factor and I think Royf19 touched on it. The Music Industry has changed.  My own personal belief and belief of some others is that hundred of thousands of good melodies were found in the last century. It's harder for today's songwriters to find a good melody.  There is only so many combinations of notes with different beats to make up all the melodies.  A lot of the good ones have already been found.  There may be some good ones left.  What else that is left is mediocre and poor melodies.  Maybe a new music style could render more good melodies.  New styles I think, usually depend on new rythms or beats.  Maybe there's more good music styles to be discovered.   Maybe there isn't.  I hope the future flourishes with new good music.  I have my doubts.  In addition, the Music Industry wants to make money on the most saleable product it can put out there.  Right now, today we have, in general, average or deficient melodies dressed up with appealing arrangement and appealing sound effects.  Also, there are songs that are heavy on lyrics and beat with a little melody mixed in (Rap).  I don't knock today's music.  Some of it is enjoyable.  Good melodies are probably still there, but less abundant, and much harder to find.  That is why I think good melodies will persist well into the future.  There will always be people that appreciate fine art, even when it looks like the well is running a little dry.  Music listening 200 years from now may exhibit traits ZILLAGOD and Royf19 talked about as well as, possibly, what I just said.         

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In 2210 there will be only one song:

(When I Talk to) Loretta, by the Nervous Eaters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What will be interesting -- and not necessarily 200 years from now but maybe even 30 years or 50 years (whatever) -- is what artist that isn't well-known today gets "discovered." Sort of like an artist who wasn't appreciated in his lifetime but years after his death becomes an all-time great. I could see that happening in which some obscure band today, for whatever reason, is "rediscovered."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]What will be interesting -- and not necessarily 200 years from now but maybe even 30 years or 50 years (whatever) -- is what artist that isn't well-known today gets "discovered." Sort of like an artist who wasn't appreciated in his lifetime but years after his death becomes an all-time great. I could see that happening in which some obscure band today, for whatever reason, is "rediscovered."
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    That happened to J.S. Bach, now regarded as one of the all-time great classical musicians.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

The comparison with "classical" music is interesting.  We can say that it has survived but of course not all of it has, only what is perceived to be the best, and especially those composers and works that people today still want to play and hear.  As far as actual performances go, we may not have a recording of Mozart's interpretation of his own music, but we do have examples of, say, Rachmaninoff playing, or of Copland conducting, his own music.  And to look at those two examples, many would say that their compositions have been better served by other interpreters, as the passage of time allows their masterworks to more fully reveal their nuances.  To look at the potential longevity of the rock/pop genre in that light, perhaps what might survive the passing of centuries is not so much the Beatles (although their influence surely will always be recognized) as, say, Dylan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Surely there are religious songs that will stand the test of time.  Christian hymns like: "Amazing Grace", "Ave Maria" and "How Great Thou Art" may endure over the centuries.  I am sure there are songs of other Faiths, from all over the world, that may endure well on into the future also. 
             Incidently, about 2005, the Rock and Roll of Fame put a benefit on in the Cleveland Public Auditorium with several musical acts.   Domingo "Sam" Samudio of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs sang and played a solo of "Jesus Loves Me (Yes I Know)".  It was done Louisiana Bayou Blues style on the guitar.  Very Stirring.  If my memory serves me correct, somebody on the stage at that concert said that Sam was also a street preacher administering to the homeless.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I agree with Jesseyeric and LloydDobler, the Beatles will endure well into the future.  Together as a group and including all their separate endeavors, they displayed musical genius over hundreds of songs.  Just considering, the group, The Beatles alone, they were still genius.  Its amazing to consider what their mastery entailed: song writing, vocals, playing instruments, arrangement (style) and producing in the recording studio.  We're talking a very large amount of songs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Considering that people are still listening to Classical music that was written 200 years ago it's safe to say we'll still be tuned into Bach, Beethoven and Brahms. I would imagine there will be an outlet for all types of music even if it's just one station for swing, Jazz, Blues, ETC. That's if we make it past Dec 21st, 2012.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

When people in the year 2210 are still watching monsters, dinosaurs and dragons in whatever forum they will have, there is some likelihood the shows could be accompanied with "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult.  Here that ZILLAGOD!  Maybe a more modern group will do a remake.  Further, although it's possible, I can't imagine anyone else writing a better song to fit the situation. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]         When people in the year 2210 are still watching monsters, dinosaurs and dragons in whatever forum they will have, there is some likelihood the shows could be accompanied with "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult.  Here that ZILLAGOD!  Maybe a more modern group will do a remake.  Further, although it's possible, I can't imagine anyone else writing a better song to fit the situation. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

I'll be dead by then.

But thanks for being thoughtful. I am kind of hoping that extraterrestrials will return here to save this pitiful place from the disgusting humans who are ruining it, bankers, lawyers, stockbrokers, Republicans and terrorists , to name a few.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210? : I'll be dead by then. But thanks for being thoughtful. I am kind of hoping that extraterrestrials will return here to save this pitiful place from the disgusting humans who are ruining it, bankers, lawyers, stockbrokers, Republicans and terrorists , to name a few.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]        I hear what you are saying.  I hope there's somebody(s) that can sort the whole mess out. ...............Whoa!  Something I forgot to say in my "Godzilla" post.  Inside the song somewhere, doesn't Blue Oyster Cult sing something about nature and the folly of man ? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

"Birthday" by the Beatles. Maybe "My Girl" by the Temptations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]"Birthday" by the Beatles. Maybe "My Girl" by the Temptations.

The thing is that Popular Music will always reign and with that, the music that influenced it will remain. Cavsfan makes a good point with the Temptations. Motown as a musical force died back when Michael Jackson was alive and still a black man. But even 40 years later, the sounds and music it gave us in the 60's still remain and will always remain strong. Songs by many artists will be treasured for years. Gershwins tunes will never fade away. And as long as New York City remains and as long as people continue to fight on, so will Sinatra's versions of New York, New York and My Way. Besides the Beatles, I believe songs by the Stones (Satisfaction), Led Zep, (Stairway), Who (Baba O'Reilly) will remain in pop culture.  It is clear that Free Bird will never die and the same can be said for Bohemian Rhapsody. And as long as one or two songs keep a band in the know, then people will find their other music and Rock will live on.

Let's just hope that at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210? :         I hear what you are saying.  I hope there's somebody(s) that can sort the whole mess out. ...............Whoa!  Something I forgot to say in my "Godzilla" post.  Inside the song somewhere, doesn't Blue Oyster Cult sing something about nature and the folly of man ? 

"History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men...Godzilla!"

You got it right!

We have met the enemy and it is us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm thinking more along the lines of how music will be produced in the future and if bands and rock artists, etc., will bother to make whole albums. rather than just release singles since that is the way music is being sold more and more. 

It has to make you wonder as the average attention span continues to get shorter and shorter, if the actual ability to listen to an entire set of songs by one artist, created by the artist, will vanish.  People make their own play lists and I have nothing against that, don't get me wrong.  But so much of what is discussed here and what many of us love is to celebrate an artist for their body of work, not just a song here or there.   The idea that a body of work is professionally produced for a REASON seems to dying, and is less and less appreciated.    How do you feel about this?  Am I offbase?

I also wonder if you will be able to make it in rock music if you are older than the age of 15.  Laughing    I mean, there was a time when you had to PAY YOUR DUES for a while before making it and it was sooooo much sweeter that way.  Now, every teeny bopper who has the right marketing is a pop star before they're even drinking age!  And sorry, but I don't see any of them lasting.  They are all flashes in the pan.  Lame.

And the last thing I want to say is that I HATE it when people call someone like a politician, or a business person, or even their own kid a "ROCK STAR" -- it has cheapened what it means to be a rock star.  It just sounds so dumb, especially since we all know rock stars are a bunch of degenerates!  hahaahahah!   So I hope that use of the term "rock star" will be long gone by the end of the century!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

• Jesseyeric, I liked your different examples of what songs and artists could last well into the future.  Your right about the "New York, New York" song and so to extend that idea, it's possible other songs about regions will endure. ZILLAGOD said he hopes the "Hawaii Five-O" song lasts.   
    • Yogafriend, you make interesting points about different musical trends. It made me stop and think.  Maybe some of this is influenced by what the music moguls think will sell, culture, current events and politics.
    • Uclid, Gerbs, LloydDobler and EWhite1065 talked about Classical music enduring.  How about ? "Bolero" by Ravel and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by Mendelssohn.
    • Royf19 and NumbaFouwer, talked about rediscovery or revival of certain musical artists or groups in the future. Very interesting !