Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?

The music industry should be very different in the future. We may see the “music moguls “disappear and the artist take complete control. Lets face it today’s kids understand the workings of the internet and computers. Every day new recording programs are released. So it would stand to reason that they could produce, promote and sell their music online eliminating the need for record companies as we know it today. It would be great to see the artist make out instead of the big wigs who sit behind the desk.

Rediscovery or revival of certain musical artists or groups in the future. I could see that happening. I think it was Peter Gabriel or perhaps Paul Simon also who put out an album using early African drum beats. So the revival of sounds and styles should still continue.

I would thing the Star Spangled Banner would endure the test if time. As well as old kid songs like Old MacDonald, She will be coming around the mountain, Row Row Your Boat and other tunes like that.

Although this thread is interesting its unfortunate we will never be around to find out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?:
    [QUOTE]Although this thread is interesting its unfortunate we will never be around to find out.
    Posted by uclid[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself :-)

Even though I consider myself a fan of The Who, I'm not from the "hope I die before I get old" school.  And even if not the same as 2210, one might get a sense of where music is heading in, say, 2050 -- e.g. has it evolved in some comparable way over the 2 successive 40-year periods.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

Rock and Roll. Specifically KISS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolhandgannon. Show coolhandgannon's posts

I think "Modern Music Stinks" by Old White Rock Fans will still be talked about in 2210, even though the only medium it's available on are broken records.

Zing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Which Songs Or Type Of Music Will Survive To 2210?:
    [QUOTE]The comparison with "classical" music is interesting.  We can say that it has survived but of course not all of it has, only what is perceived to be the best, and especially those composers and works that people today still want to play and hear.  As far as actual performances go, we may not have a recording of Mozart's interpretation of his own music, but we do have examples of, say, Rachmaninoff playing, or of Copland conducting, his own music.  And to look at those two examples, many would say that their compositions have been better served by other interpreters, as the passage of time allows their masterworks to more fully reveal their nuances.  To look at the potential longevity of the rock/pop genre in that light, perhaps what might survive the passing of centuries is not so much the Beatles (although their influence surely will always be recognized) as, say, Dylan.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]       
    Gerbs, You make some very good points.  In different future decades or centuries a piece of music could stay the same or be reinterpreted.  Different instruments or tones could be used.  Possibly a different beat.  Or even even other subtleties like putting louds, mediums and softs or accents in different spots. Also, the way notes are connected like: smooth, medium or staccato could be changed.  All these rearrangements can make a different interpretation depending on how much and specifically what is changed.  Create different musical feelings.  When we sing, hum, whistle or play an instrument we can conduct these musical experiments on our own.     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Q:   Could the music of any of these artists still be listened to, 200 yrs. from now?  B.B. King for Blues.  Miles Davis for jazz.  Louie "Satchmo" Armstrong for Jazz and Pop.  Nat King Cole for Standards.
         A:  There is a strong possibility. Not only on their own individual merits but also taking into account they are the giants in those musical categories.  There are probably others I did not mention.