Who am I?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Who am I?

I was the frontman for one of the more critically appreciated "punk" bands (though we never liked that label) of the 1980s. I wasn't in the original lineup, but I lied to the lead singer and told him the others didn't want him anymore. You'd never guess it from our on-stage shenanigans and constant boozing, but our first gig was a church basement.

The critics loved us -- one called us "the Beatles meet the Clash" -- but commercially we had little success. Though we did primarily hard-edged songs with occasionally profane lyrics, we also threw in some really pretty ballads.

We had what you'd call a cult following. Our most famous fan was a beautiful actress who used my last name as her character's high school in probably her most famous movie.

Our band pretty much drifted apart in the early '90s, but I embarked on a pretty successful solo career. I've done songs for movie soundtracks, including one with a Runaway.

My wife and I have had A Wonderful Life (ever so slight hint).

Who am I?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Who am I?

is the movie fast times at ridgemont high? (phoebe cates)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Paul Westerberg.

no googling

(the movie was "Heathers" which took place at Paul Westerberg High)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

nice dude...googling isnt allowed anyway!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

so funny...my cousin's best friend is producing a documentary about the replacements interviewing all sorts of people about their influence and what they meant to them personally...

i can't BELIEVE i didn't think of him! duh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Who am I?:
    [QUOTE]so funny...my cousin's best friend is producing a documentary about the replacements interviewing all sorts of people about their influence and what they meant to them personally... i can't BELIEVE i didn't think of him! duh.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Again, talking about lasting influence and midwestern bands, they are by far one of the most influential and one of my favorite bands of the 80s - which is strange because it seemed like hardly anyone was paying attention at the time.  They practically wrote the book on the alternative rock scene that followed them.

I remember seeing the "Ba&tards Of Young" video on 120 Minutes and thinking, who are these guys??  I ran out and bought Tim, and then a couple of days later read an interview with Keith Richards who said The Replacements were one of his favorite newer groups.  I felt so cool....

To this day, I can't fly on a plane without singing to myself, "you ain't nothin' but a waitress in the sky..."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Matty is the winner! As for the very last hint, his wife used to be in a band called ZuZu's Petals.

Love the Mats ... Let it Be and All Shook Down are always in my car. (Sadly, I haven't graduated to iPod yet). Also liked Paul's solo stuff, especially Nine Songs.

Matty, was it the Heather's reference that gave it away, or did you know before?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Matty is the winner! As for the very last hint, his wife used to be in a band called ZuZu's Petals. Love the Mats ... Let it Be and All Shook Down are always in my car. (Sadly, I haven't graduated to iPod yet). Also liked Paul's solo stuff, especially Nine Songs. Matty, was it the Heather's reference that gave it away, or did you know before?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

"the beatles meet the clash" piqued my suspicion first; the "heathers" reference nailed it...an endlessly quotable flick.

"Whether to kill yourself or not is one of the most important decisions a teenager can make."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Mats were awesome. I thinked they peaked with Tim... But loved them Many memorable shows. Mostly before Paul Stinson passed away

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who am I? : "the beatles meet the clash" piqued my suspicion first; the "heathers" reference nailed it...an endlessly quotable flick. "Whether to kill yourself or not is one of the most important decisions a teenager can make."
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, SO many classic lines. But for some reason, one of my favorites has always been ...

Veronica: All teenagers want it to be treated like human beings and not to be experimented on like guinea pigs or patronized like bunny rabbits.
    Her father: I don't patronize bunny rabbits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who am I? : Oh yes, SO many classic lines. But for some reason, one of my favorites has always been ... Veronica: All teenagers want it to be treated like human beings and not to be experimented on like guinea pigs or patronized like bunny rabbits. Her father: I don't patronize bunny rabbits.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

LMAO...LOVE that line!

Of course, I also know the connection with your screen name, the film it's from, and the background music ("Within Your Reach") to one of the all-time best fadeouts in cinema.

@leafs - to my endless regret, I never got to see them live as a band, only Paul solo...kudos....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

"My teen angst has a body count"

I was thinking ZuZu's petals, but got confused with the use of that name in the movie Ford Fairlane

"Ashtray floors, dirty clothes, and filthy jokes"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Saw the Mats one time live and they were disappointingly awful. Of course, they were drunk as hell and couldn't remember half their songs. I remember they actually did "Free Bird," which was hilarious.

Still one of my five favorite bands ever, however.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

One time at the Channel, Westerberg was extremely drunk and  he asked if anyone in the audience could sing for him.. A guy stepped in and wasn't half bad. Paul Stinson stripped naked and continued to play the show. They were hit or miss. one time they put on a great show (with Slim Dunlap on guitar) at the Orpheum. the backup band that night was "The Connels" who were tremendous as well.