Who are we?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Who are we?

If you've seen this photo before, please don't spoil the game for those that haven't.  I've never known anyone that guessed who they are or even came close.  I'm a huge fan and had no clue whatsoever.

Who did these 1972 "Hippies" become?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Who are we?

Bonnie Raitt(sp???)

Can't make the guy out - faces are too pale

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I'm trying to think of musical "couples" who came of age during the late 60s early 70s.  

Buckingham/Nicks???????  

nah

annie lennox and David Stewart?????   Eurythmics.   Seems farfetched enough.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Elekktra's comment:

I'm trying to think of musical "couples" who came of age during the late 60s early 70s.  

Buckingham/Nicks???????  

nah

annie lennox and David Stewart?????   Eurythmics.   Seems farfetched enough.  

Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart would have been my guess too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bill and Hillary Clinton

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This old photo is too unclear and washed out to get a good look at their faces.

I cheated and did an image look up. I wouldn't know them from photos taken during any time in their lives.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sid and Nancy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

If you've seen this photo before, please don't spoil the game for those that haven't.  I've never known anyone that guessed who they are or even came close.  I'm a huge fan and had no clue whatsoever.

Dude, that is so obscure it's insane. No one will ever get that.  Even if you're a diehard punk pan, it would be tough.

Punk isn't a popular genre unless you're 12-20 years old for crying out loud. Good grief.

Did you look it up?  I finally did.   I know of only one person on this forum who might have made a reasonable guess and hit it, but otherwise ...  as DeeDee said above, these are two people whose looks you would never have on your radar.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

John Doe and Exene Cervenka of X ?

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Sid and Nancy

NICE!!! , But surely wrong.Sid would have been only about 15 in 1972....that's some beard for a 15 year old!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Sid and Nancy

NICE!!! , But surely wrong.Sid would have been only about 15 in 1972....that's some beard for a 15 year old!

Thanks, Zilla.   !!  I was feeling very confident for a bit, if it weren't for knowing the approximate year Nancy "left the building" (so to speak).   Dammit.    Otherwise, if anyone could have grown facial hair as a young teen, it  would have been Sid.    =)

Frankly, I think you could get this.  You and Jessey are probably the only two from the esteemed "panel" that have the chops for this one.   (Your guess is inspired, BTW)   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I did a Google Image reverse search because I could not figure it out. I figured it would be somewhat off the beaten path, but not like that. And, I have no idea who that band is.

I readily admit I could care less about punk music and it's quick emergence and death, but really?

At least give us chance. I know my music history, but I wouldn't have come close even if I had some semblance of knowledge beyond like 10 bands in that genre. I actually thought the Bill and Hillary guess made sense. lmao

It sounded like you looked it up, so that makes 3 of us, anyhow.   I thought I had a decent guess, and was too curious to wait.    Pretty crazy to see who it was, huh?!   

Off the beaten path is the only path Sonics is on ... hahahah.   It's far and away not your genre, and not a band you'd ever pursue retrospectively.   I've heard of them, and quite honestly, I think Zilla could get it -- maybe with a minor hint.   

Glad you liked Bill and Hillary.    Bill, now a vegan, is currently, almost that thin.  =)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

They were not Punks.  Not "household names", but most of you will know them well by name if not by discography.  They are among my favourite bands of all time.  I consider her to be the most attractive woman in all of history, no shit.....not just for her appearance, but she played lead guitar when woman rarely did in mixed bands (and they still rarely do)....joint songwriter, managed, then produced the band.

I think when I was spitting blood about the faux artist Beyonce spreading her legs on stage for billions during the last Super Bowl I said I'd have failed if my daughters had become THAT, but would be thrilled if they became Kim Deal, Chrissie Hynde or.....

Pretty heavy hints, yoga!  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Several outstanding guesses.  Closer than I, or any fan of the band I know ever came. The answer is:  Lux Interior and Poison Ivy Rorschach (the Cramps).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Don't know why I can't paste another picture of Lux & Ivy....if you care try this:  http://www.google.co.uk/search?gs_rn=26&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=8&gs_id=t&xhr=t&q=the+cramps&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.51773540,d.Yms&biw=1366&bih=667&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FlIoUumQEsfXtAbZ-4H4Dg

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Dude, that is so obscure it's insane. No one will ever get that.  Even if you're a diehard punk pan, it would be tough.

Punk isn't a popular genre unless you're 12-20 years old for crying out loud. Good grief.

Russ:

• My main point was that it is the hardest "who were they" I've ever seen.
    • I realise the Cramps are not in heavy rotation here, but are far from unknown, I assume.  Any lover of rock'n'roll should, at a minimum, IMO, have an opinion on them....a VERY influential band.
    • Kid Congo Powers:  Discuss.
    • You can't, can you?
    • You don't have a clue, do you, Mr. Music?
    • Hint:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheFFTmuyu4
    • Answer:  the Kid was a formative member of three of the best, most influential "underground" bands of all time:  Gun Club, Cramps and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds...his open tuning guitar playing is instantly recognisable to anyone interested in music other than Cyndi John and Elton Lauper.
    • Don't know/don't care?  Then keep wallowing in nostalgia, ignorance and the Eagles. The Sonics?  The Monks?  The Stooges?  MC5?  Radio Birdman? The Clash?  The Minutemen?  Husker Du? Pixies?  The Stitches?  Thee Headcoats?  Machine Gun Elephant?...that's up to about 1996 of brilliant punk bands....missed many, bored now.
    • You think I'm a "12-20" year old Punk?  I'm 51.  I have every (US) Beatles album, most Beatles singles, every US Stones album, 1,000s of LPs, far more 7"s...and I admit to  a 10" fetish....blah blah blah.  Are you the sort of ignoramus that thinks "Hey Jude" is an "album"?  I bet you are.  Pitiful.
    • Go to a lot of gigs?
    • I'm sure you're not the sort of hipster that only buys CDs or, even cooler, downloads. I haven't lived in Boston since 1989 but I always set aside a day or two when there to browse the remaining record stores for nuggets...any suggestions?
    • Even a diehard Cramps fan wouldn't get the image....again, part of the point.
    • They were not a punk band, not in any way.
    • I'm not very interested in "popular".   How's that LCD thing workin' for ya?  I don't own a television machine, and I haven't been edumacated by the wit and wisdom of John Grisham, but I did see the graph on the front page of USA Today about ignorance and it broke my heart.  Got a heart?

Feel free to sit in your barcalounger and rattle your empty hi-ball glass.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

While I like some of the Cramps music that I've listened to,I didn't know the band members names.It was a fair trivia question to ask who it was though.If it was too easy of an answer,it's not really worth asking.This is how some of us learn and get exposed to different music. 

My favorite Cramps song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnZDakp_v4

By the way,how do you do a "Google reverse image search"? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

They were not Punks.  Not "household names", but most of you will know them well by name if not by discography.  They are among my favourite bands of all time.  I consider her to be the most attractive woman in all of history, no shit.....not just for her appearance, but she played lead guitar when woman rarely did in mixed bands (and they still rarely do)....joint songwriter, managed, then produced the band.

I think when I was spitting blood about the faux artist Beyonce spreading her legs on stage for billions during the last Super Bowl I said I'd have failed if my daughters had become THAT, but would be thrilled if they became Kim Deal, Chrissie Hynde or.....

Pretty heavy hints, yoga!  :-)

Sonics-baby, I was going to send out a APB for you --  to ask if I could give a hint; it would have had something to do with the pseudonyms, obviously, and very subtle.   Trust me.  

Zilla could have nailed this one, if I had let the cat just a wee bit out of the bag ... but it wasn't my thread.   You seem to have covered all the issues in your bullets to Russ ... heh.

GREAT JOB.   Your record (no correct guess to date) still stands.   =)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Russ - My top people have advised me to advise your top people to advise your best people to possibly consider the fact that my earlier post may have been ever-so-slightly over-the-top.  :-).   Seriously, I apologise for my earlier, overly aggressive post.  I made a mountain out of a mole hill...it was fun for me, in truth, but totally unfair and silly. I was wrong.

Board (but never bored here) - I can't bear the stupid aggression of the main Sox board anymore so am rarely there any more....my only complaint about here is that there isn't enough traffic.  And I apologise that my earlier comment was overly aggressive.  It was, I think, though it amused me to write it....but it was wrong.

Mojo - Cheers!  I think it is the hardest such question ever.  A friend put it to "us" a few months ago....no one had any clue at all.  The Cramps to me are not just an all-time favourite  band, but an historically important, influential band.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I dropped an obscure hint over on my Labor Day thread connecting these two to "Hasel Atkins". This is a name Sonics dropped that I had no idea who it was. If you google him (spelling might be different, try Hasil Adkins) you should get the connection. Thanks to Sonics, I learned something new.

Don't know or care if it makes me unhip or not but I'm just not interested in the music of The Cramps. Just isn't my thing. I had heard of them, but that was it. I never was interested enough from what I knew about them to sample their music. I've heard of quite a few performers that don't appeal to me. You like what you like. My wife already thinks most of my music is crap anyway, no need to go over the top. Tongue Out

-Elvis Presley

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Cramps did cross my mind. I never knew that Lux had a beard, he looks so strange with facial hair and glasses. Also the clue about "Punk" also threw me off, because I don't consider the Cramps a bonafide Punk band. The style is more of what I would call "Perverse- Garage Rockabilly." And they are one of the only bands in this genre...at least the only one I've ever heard about. The closest is probably the Plasmatics led by the late Wendy O. Williams ( who was WOW before JWOW...and she really was Wow!)...a band that mixed ridiculous sexual references into a Heavy Metal/Punk stew, heavy on visual effects. A band taylor made for the early MTV.

Incidently, yoga is correct, I adore this band and have ( I believe ) all their CDs, including the hard to find live 'RockinandReelininAuklandNewZealand.'

Goo Goo Muck is probably my favorite Cramps song. Strychnine and Bikini Girls With Machine Guns are cool also.

There is not logical or sane reason why I should like this band, but I do....I also own 3 Plasmatics CDs. The fact that my life is pretty boring and that I have always been a hardworking responsible person must be the main reason I enjoy this trashy music...I guess it offers a glimpse into a life I've never known, and never will know, I'll leave this up to a real psychologist...I'm just and amateur at analyzing people's brains....and not that good at it!!!

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I dropped an obscure hint over on my Labor Day thread connecting these two to "Hasel Atkins". This is a name Sonics dropped that I had no idea who it was. If you google him (spelling might be different, try Hasil Adkins) you should get the connection. Thanks to Sonics, I learned something new.

Don't know or care if it makes me unhip or not but I'm just not interested in the music of The Cramps. Just isn't my thing. I had heard of them, but that was it. I never was interested enough from what I knew about them to sample their music. I've heard of quite a few performers that don't appeal to me. You like what you like. My wife already thinks most of my music is crap anyway, no need to go over the top. Tongue Out

-Elvis Presley

There is no "cool" or "hip", DD....there is only "uncool" and "unhip" which are easily defined:  If your think you're cool or hip, you ain't.

Apols again for my diatribe earlier.  It was the "Punk 12-20" that set me off.  ;-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

BTW, re "hip"?  I'm a middle-aged investment banking father of two, that also has an indie record label. I'm nothing from nowhere.  My flatmate is a great friend.  Young, "hip", charming, gorgeous, Brazilian git/bass player in one of the top bands in London.

What are we doing right now?  I'm on a chat list discussing what we're doing right now, eating a salad for dinner so I can still wear the stripy drainpipes I bought on the King's Road in 1984, he is tidying up the flat - because his girlfriend told him to - and we are listening to Hawaiian instrumental music.

But if anyone asks, we're doing drugs and shagging the birds next door.   :-)

Rock and Roll!

;-)

Sections
Shortcuts