Who are you all and why do I enjoy chatting with you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Who are you all and why do I enjoy chatting with you?

My name is Yon Yonson
    I come from Wisonsin
    I work in a factory there

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

there is no such thing as a failed rock star.

unless you just wanted to sell out Tongue out

my name is buck, some call me ph, others call me smith. some people call me maurice.

i work at a bank in rhode island. i'm a (relatively) young fellow. i play in a trio of bands and have more recently been getting work scoring commercials. it's what i want to do for as long as i possibly can.

i find you all quite interesting, and it certainly helps the work day go by. thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not a regular here in Music, but I'm 39, happily remarried after an 8 year marriage and divorce in 2005.  Was a software engineer, but left to be a housewife a month before the wedding.  I'm cooking (yay!), cleaning (boo!), and being a dog mom (yay!) while working on the real thing (well, not that our lab isn't real, but you know).

I've come from a long line of first sopranos and have dear memories of 4 generations of women (well, I was a little girl, of course) singing hymns in Gramma's kitchen while meals were prepared and cleaned up.  My great-grandmother chimed in with the alto part (she lost her high range) 'til her death at 101.  Talk about tearing up, I still do as I sing alone in our kitchen hearing the other 3 voices in my mind.  Just my mom and I are left, but she's in PA.

Good to meet you all. :)

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

No, I'M a failed rock star...I tried several instruments with very little luck due to a debilitating ailment...yes, I have stupid fingers.

But I can type, and I have way too many opinions on way too many topics - popular music being the principle of these. 

Fortunately, my job (software blah-blah) is flexible enough that I can do it morning or night and often do, except when I don't feel like it, but that's what the internet is for.

Born and raised on the north shore (via nova scotia); enjoyed my gypsy days of living other places, yet still returned because boston rocks, the seafood is fresh and I don't like hot weather.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Jess, I am your polar opposite. I am small town and square as can be. Took years of guitar lessons despite the fact that I had no natural musical ability. I did quite well in my lessons, but I realized after all those years that my only true musical skill was listening to it! Although I do like to sing along and dance to music and can do so without embarrassing myself. I am anti-social but for some reason I like chatting on-line. But sometimes I even find that too social. Basically, I'm a boring, middle-aged guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Like Batman and many comic book heroes , I will not reveal my true identity.

I am a 52 year old salesperson, who lives in a small town not too far from Cape Cod. My main hobby in the summer is watching baseball and mowing lawn, and various maintence chores outside the house. My main hobbies in the winter are watching movies, reading and unfortunately shoveling snow.

I love most types of rock music and have been an avid fan since hearing the Beatles, Kinks , Stones, Dylan and all the rest on AM radio as a kid riding in the car. I am a big Red Sox fan and I love movies with lots of action. My favorites are the Terminator series,Network, Blade Runner, the Indiana Jones movies, Dirty Harry movies, Star Trek movies,any movie with my all time favorite Roy Scheider and the Lethal Weapon movies. I enjoy reading , I have read most of the classic Science Fiction novels, Heinlein, Herbert, Asimov, Niven, Philip Jose Farmer, Arthur C. Clarke. I also enjoy John Grisham books and have read all the Alistair MacLein novels. I love classic comedy, George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, Henny Youngman, the Marx Bros., The 3 Stooges, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, and the old Saturday Live gang.

I suppose , you enjoy chatting with me because I am not a jerk. I respect the fact that you are a Yankee fan , but are polite, sincere and you ( unlike a few others) know that I am not serious very often, but when I am ,I am honest about my opinions and respect the opinions of others ( although I struggle with people who like disco and rap , but I can tolerate them as long as they tolerate me.

I find it hilarious that devildad, sounds so much like me....I really thought I was so unique.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

My name is Joe and I'm an alcho..      oh wrong place. I live on Cape Cod and work as a George Clooney impersonator (frig*in'economy, haven't worked for years) I was a singer for a band in collage and for a few years after, then did some DJ work (clubs, parties; not radio) as for now ... I'm just putting in time until Willard Scott announces my birthday

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Zill we are neighbors

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Wow. I wish I could respond to each of you individually. Eventually I will.

WhatIsItNow:

I can envision a movie script from this alone. Hunter is one of the many inspirations of my writing, which I wish I could do full time. Where were you when I needed a lawyer?

Jessey, considering that you are on my friends list, I can only avoid this question for so long. I'm a Brooklyn born jewish kid with no real regard for religion in my personal life. I've done everything from washing dishes, bailing hay, harvesting leather (really, and it's not pretty), landscaping, construction, and deep-sea fishing to my present corporate existence writing software, now living near the start of the Boston Marathon. I wanted to be a rock star, but knew my chances were slim to none -- playing music is a hobby; listening to music is like eating great food. I can't live without it and be happy. Not to say that I'm happy. I'm carefully planning my escape to live "off the grid" for a while, and travel and write while I still can. What I really want to do is just write. About nothing and everything. And then I read Matty's posts and realize I probably should just S.T.F.U. What really burns me Matty is that you work in software too, and like me, aren't all that thrilled with it, but you capture and write with the swagger and eloquence of a George Clooney or Harrison Ford. It's a craft and you have a gift.

Someday, I'd like to own a little restaurant, do all the cooking for a while, and play live jazz guitar and piano. In Italy. My favorite musician, Ralph Towner, will show up and play (he lives there). If I'm really lucky, my writing might get published, I will be on an island and spend my time sailing.

Kargiver -- welcome! I've read your posts on other groups here and could never have pegged you as a former software engineer. Keep it up.

I would like to hear from Yoshimi and Yoga.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm a recovering Boy Band member.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Who are you all and why do I enjoy chatting with you?:
    Zill we are neighbors
    Posted by jkjband

Hey, I didn't say what street I live on!

It's kind of wierd , I have people who live on my street that I don't even know. Then, there's people like all of you that I feel I know a little bit about. Life in the era of cyberspace is awfully strange. I often wonder if some of the people I chat with here live in the same town or in the vicinity as me, maybe I have even met them face to face or spoken with them on the phone.

jkjband , it is even possible that you are that clown who almost cut me off when I was driving in to work on Friday morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm a recovering Boy Band member.
    Posted by tcal2-

I'm so glad you have gotten over this condition.

Here's a few questions for all:

Do members of "boy bands" grow up to be members of "men bands?"

Are the Rolling Stones an "old men band?"

Would the Pretenders have been a "woman plus men band?"

Why weren't the Jackson Five and the Osmond Brothers called boy bands?

Doesn't the word "band" indicate that the members are more than just singers and actually play instruments too? I mean were the Temptations a "band" or a "group?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Who are you all and why do I enjoy chatting with you? : I'm so glad you have gotten over this condition. Here's a few questions for all:   Do members of "boy bands" grow up to be members of "men bands?" Are the Rolling Stones an "old men band?" Would the Pretenders have been a "woman plus men band?" Why weren't the Jackson Five and the Osmond Brothers called boy bands? Doesn't the word "band" indicate that the members are more than just singers and actually play instruments too? I mean were the Temptations a "band" or a "group?"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

This is why I enjoy being the straight man here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

My name is David (uh huh)
    I live in Virginia (uh huh)
    I'm married with two kids (uh huh)
    I write for a newspaper (Roll call!).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Wow. I wish I could respond to each of you individually. Eventually I will. WhatIsItNow: I can envision a movie script from this alone. Hunter is one of the many inspirations of my writing, which I wish I could do full time. Where were you when I needed a lawyer? Jessey, considering that you are on my friends list, I can only avoid this question for so long. I'm a Brooklyn born jewish kid with no real regard for religion in my personal life. I've done everything from washing dishes, bailing hay, harvesting leather (really, and it's not pretty), landscaping, construction, and deep-sea fishing to my present corporate existence writing software, now living near the start of the Boston Marathon. I wanted to be a rock star, but knew my chances were slim to none -- playing music is a hobby; listening to music is like eating great food. I can't live without it and be happy. Not to say that I'm happy. I'm carefully planning my escape to live "off the grid" for a while, and travel and write while I still can. What I really want to do is just write. About nothing and everything. And then I read Matty's posts and realize I probably should just S.T.F.U. What really burns me Matty is that you work in software too, and like me, aren't all that thrilled with it, but you capture and write with the swagger and eloquence of a George Clooney or Harrison Ford. It's a craft and you have a gift. Someday, I'd like to own a little restaurant, do all the cooking for a while, and play live jazz guitar and piano. In Italy. My favorite musician, Ralph Towner, will show up and play (he lives there). If I'm really lucky, my writing might get published, I will be on an island and spend my time sailing. Kargiver -- welcome! I've read your posts on other groups here and could never have pegged you as a former software engineer. Keep it up. I would like to hear from Yoshimi and Yoga.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Thanks, SDM...for such effusive praise, it makes me blush.  If it makes you feel any better, you and I share something in common, namely the desire to write for a living (at least something other than software requirements) and to live "off the grid" (in eco- terms).

Instead, I fulfill that desire in snippets on boards like these and basking the lyrics and prose of my heroes in art, literature and music.  If I ever learn how to get from A to B, I'll be sure to let you know how/if I did it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SDM, thanks for the shout out and warm welcome!   I can't help but wonder what you did imagine about me before you knew I had been engineer and have a math degree. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

jkjband , it is even possible that you are that clown who almost cut me off when I was driving in to work on Friday morning.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I was in a hurry Friday?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

SDM, thanks for the shout out and warm welcome!   I can't help but wonder what you did imagine about me before you knew I had been engineer and have a math degree. :)
    Posted by kargiver

How the heck did you get to over 10,000 posts without me seeing your posts very often?

My posts are split about 50/50 between Red Sox and Music, I occasionally post on the T.V. boards and very rarely on the politics board. I don't have a lot of input on movies as I am not up on the newer flicks , I prefer older movies.I used to post on the Bruins forum , but I drifted away from hockey as I was falling asleep in the 2nd period of just about every game. It just ain't the same as when the mighty Ray Bourque, Terry O'Reilly, Cam Neely and Phil Esposito & Bobby Orr before them patrolled the ice, today's game seems like a bunch of robots....so I don't watch that sport anymore.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Zilla - I spend most of my time in Confidential Chat, Weddings, and Moms even though I'm not a bride anymore nor a mom (but TTC is in that section).  So, guess we just missed each other.  Nice to meet ya.

ETA:  Oh, and Pets.  We have an 18 month old black lab, our first dog (as adults).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hey, Zilla - I spend most of my time in Confidential Chat, Weddings, and Moms even though I'm not a bride anymore nor a mom (but TTC is in that section).  So, guess we just missed each other.  Nice to meet ya. ETA:  Oh, and Pets.  We have an 18 month old black lab, our first dog (as adults).
    Posted by kargiver

That would explain alot as I am not married ( I live with a wonderful lady, though) I am obviously not a mom (I am not a dad either) and I really do not know what I would chat confidentially about other than Red Sox and music.

Glad we found common ground here. I find talking music very relaxing and I meet alot of nice people ( well not really "meet" , but you know what I mean). I consider all these people to be friends, I once had a slight misunderstanding with Newman,I was trying to make a joke and he didn't realize it. I sometimes forget that some forms of humor don't play as well in text as they do when spoken. I will warn you that I enjoy many forms of humor and I am not afraid to use them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a lover of dry humor and am hard to offend by it.  I hope you'll not be too careful - we'll miss some good laughs.

I also consider my online community (that now includes you and the other great Music folk!) my friends.  There are ladies in Chat with whom I go back about 5 or 6 years.  We share the everyday goings on of our lives, and I enjoy their company very much.  And, I'm glad to add a few good names to that bunch of friends.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Posted by kargiver

Would you be offended if I said school teacher?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not at all, SWD, not at all.  In fact, I've tutored math and English with much joy, and oft for free.  I'd not want to deal with the politics of being a public school teacher, but teaching is a passion of mine, and hearing someone who said that they "can't do xyz (usually math)" say that they get it, now, is just the best.

So, I'm honored you thought that, actually. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

thats a lot of words

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I don't post a lot here ,but music is one of my favorite things to discuss. I spend more time on the politics board, Matty can vouch for that.

I live about 20 miles west of Boston, married with two young kids. I spent most of my twenties working sound and lighting for local bands in town while going to school nights.The last decade or so on the marketing side of the industry, (company confidential). I do play the drums, and love sports but never have the energy to hit the sports blogs. Hate the snow but love to ski. 

Sections
Shortcuts