Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs?

I am not Italian but I like Italian music.  There are a lot of great Italian singers doing all kinds of songs.  Some are Pavarotti, Caruso, Mario Lanza, Dion Dimucci, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett and a lot of others.  One of my favorite songs is Volare.  Done by anybody that can sing well.  Who are your favorites?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs?

Wa Yo, forgetaboutit.... 
     It's gotta' be the chairman of the board himself, Sinatra.

No contest, end of story, and if you disagree with me, I'll have your fri&&in' legs broken. 

Capisci?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs?:
    [QUOTE]Wa Yo, forgetaboutit....   It's gotta' be the chairman of the board himself, Sinatra.   No contest, end of story, and if you disagree with me, I'll have your fri&&in' legs broken.  Capisci?
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

You won't get any argument from me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

My parents' song was "I Left My Heart in San Francisco"  by Mr. Benedetto.

They had never been to SF when they picked it, so I don't know why that one in particular was their song.  Plus, they separated when I was 9, so apparently its romantic pull was not long-lasting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I also like Amore, sung by Dean Martin.  You know: "When the moon hits your eyes like a big pizza pie".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

You mean Italian Americans I assume. I loved Bobby Darin and Dion. Tony Bennett also.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My mothers favorite was Jimmy Roselli. Not counting the opera singers, I have to choose Dean Martin because he was so cool and his variety show & roasts were hysterical.

Check out this clip - it is very interesting and educational. It also happens to be my favorite Sinatra song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjJuxMHvwr8

Sinatra and Martin together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8hIQvq4LU&feature=related

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

pavarotti

...of all the threads to post in, JKJ comes back in this one? what the heck

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Gotta be Frank.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What . . .

No love for Carmine Ragusa, Milwaukee's favorite singing Golden Gloves champ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Dion DiMucci is my favorite. I love his hit songs "Runaround Sue" and "The Wanderer".

I also loved Tony Bennett's appearance on SCTV. They always did a great job of incorporating their musical guests into the show's story lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGO49XZoQ4

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I still have an LP of Al Martino...

...a.k.a. "Johnny Fontane"...

..a character who was more or less modeled after the Chairman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Dion DiMucci is my favorite. I love his hit songs "Runaround Sue" and "The Wanderer". I also loved Tony Bennett's appearance on SCTV. They always did a great job of incorporating their musical guests into the show's story lines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGO49XZoQ4
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

i just read a book by him, very interesting character. was supposed to be on the "winter dance party" plane with buddy holly, big bopper, etc.  flipped a coin, he won, but when he found out the seat cost the same as his parent's rent ($36), he gave it to Ritchie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I like Italian food.

The music I have heard from Italians is unimpressive to my ears....I apologize to people from Italy, but I can soften this by saying that I have a lower opinion of French music and I don't even like their food!

I am very partial to Rock, long live the Beatles, Stones, The Who , the Animals and all the other British groups, viva Heavy Metal, and Punk as many of the monsters of these two styles have come from England, the U.S. or even Germany or Australia.

I am not aware of any Italian Heavy Metal....or even any Rock and Roll at all.

I do not like Sinatra. He is not my cup of tea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's some Italian-American singers:
    Jon Bon Jovi
    Bobby Rydell
    Steve Tyler
    Frank Zappa
    Jim Croce
    Sonny Bono
    Gwen Stefani
    Madonna
    Weird Al Yankovich

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of the alltime great cheesy albums is 'Christmas With the Rat Pack' featuring Christmas songs by Frank, Dino and Sammy Davis Jr.  You can picture Dino with the drink and the cigarette as he camps it through 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer'.  'Rudy with your nose so bright...'

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I like Italian food. The music I have heard from Italians is unimpressive to my ears....I apologize to people from Italy, but I can soften this by saying that I have a lower opinion of French music and I don't even like their food!  I am very partial to Rock, long live the Beatles, Stones, The Who , the Animals and all the other British groups, viva Heavy Metal, and Punk as many of the monsters of these two styles have come from England, the U.S. or even Germany or Australia. I am not aware of any Italian Heavy Metal....or even any Rock and Roll at all. I do not like Sinatra. He is not my cup of tea.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zil - having had this music pushed on me as a child and teen, I can certainly see where you are coming from. It took me a very long time to appreciate that generation of music: Sinatra, Martin, Crosby, Bennett, etc. But I know you have an open mind, so I ask you to watch and listen to the complete youtube I pasted above (First one). I think you will like it.

As for Italy, there are many rock bands playing thrpughout Italy, but they will never get exposure here. I always check out the scene when I am in Italy.

Some famous Italian/American rock artists:

Appice Brothers - Vinnie and Carmine
    3/4 of the Young Rascals
    Dion
    Steven Tyler
    Ronnie James Dio

Also - if you Google "Italian Rock", you will find lists of bands dating back to the 60's that come from and play in Italy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs? : Zil - having had this music pushed on me as a child and teen, I can certainly see where you are coming from. It took me a very long time to appreciate that generation of music: Sinatra, Martin, Crosby, Bennett, etc. But I know you have an open mind, so I ask you to watch and listen to the complete youtube I pasted above (First one). I think you will like it. As for Italy, there are many rock bands playing thrpughout Italy, but they will never get exposure here. I always check out the scene when I am in Italy. Some famous Italian/American rock artists: Appice Brothers - Vinnie and Carmine 3/4 of the Young Rascals Dion Steven Tyler Ronnie James Dio Also - if you Google "Italian Rock", you will find lists of bands dating back to the 60's that come from and play in Italy.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]I'm glad you brought this up jessey, it reminded me that Frankie Valli is another Italian/American singer I really like.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Here's some Italian-American singers: Jon Bon Jovi Bobby Rydell Steve Tyler Frank Zappa Jim Croce Sonny Bono Gwen Stefani Madonna Weird Al Yankovich
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Weird Al Yankovich is Italian-American...the name sounds Polish, who'd have guessed?

O.K. , he's my favorite...but if jessey sings , I could change my mindLaughing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs? : Weird Al Yankovich is Italian-American...the name sounds Polish, who'd have guessed? O.K. , he's my favorite...but if jessey sings , I could change my mind .

This is from Wikipedia:

The only child of Nick Louis Yankovic (June 4, 1917 – April 9, 2004)[8] and Mary Elizabeth (February 7, 1923 – April 9, 2004), Alfred was born in Downey, California, and raised in the town of Lynwood.[8] His father was born in Kansas City, Kansas of Yugoslavian[8][9] descent, and began living in California after serving during World War II;[10][11] he believed "the key to success" was "doing for a living whatever makes you happy" and often reminded his son of this philosophy.[10] Nick Yankovic married Mary Vivalda in 1949. Mary, who was of Italian and English descent, and had come to California from Kentucky, gave birth to Alfred ten years later.[

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Has to be Sinatra for me...Tony Bennett maybe a close second...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I'm surpised nobody mentioned the Four Seasons. Frankie Valli and the boys are legends. I saw the play "Jersey Boys" last December. Very good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs? : Weird Al Yankovich is Italian-American...the name sounds Polish, who'd have guessed? O.K. , he's my favorite...but if jessey sings , I could change my mind .

My favorite song to sing is Ballroom Blitz (The Sweet)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Are Your Favorite Italian Singers And Songs? : My favorite song to sing is Ballroom Blitz (The Sweet)
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I love that song jessey!

The lyrics are fabulous and crazy! I have sung along with the boys often when I play it...it's the kind of song you can really get into.