Who are your favorite local bands?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCAEStaff. Show BDCAEStaff's posts

Who are your favorite local bands?

Talk about local bands here -- whether they're Boston icons or up-and-comers, we want to know about your hometown favorites.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamjohnnyboston. Show iamjohnnyboston's posts

Re: Who are your favorite local bands?

In Response to Who are your favorite local bands?:
    [QUOTE]Talk about local bands here -- whether they're Boston icons or up-and-comers, we want to know about your hometown favorites.
    Posted by BDCAEStaff[/QUOTE]

The BMAs are about 70 percent better this year but they still have soooooo far to go. Very happy to see new blood and the beginning of "underground" bands making the list. But the issue is that Boston is an indie rock scene and always has been! Another city's "outskirts of rock" is our mainstream. The first thing the BMA folks need to do is read some Boston music blogs. The second thing they should do it actually listen to the music on local record labels.

How it is that no acts from Boston's own MIDRIFF RECORDS (having it's 2nd consecutive HUGE year) is beyond me. Three Midriff Records label acts: The Beatings, Ian Adams and Hands and Knees are completely overlooked and each has put out an album worthy of anyone's top records list. Check out Midriff Records.

I applaud the BMAs for their improvement, but it's not enough - if the award is anything more than a trophy, this process need to represent the music and the spirit of the city during the year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 100KisLowerMiddleClass. Show 100KisLowerMiddleClass's posts

Big Dipper, Mission of Burma, the Cars, Volcano Suns, Dinosaur Jr, (western Ma), SS Decontrol, DYS, Jerry's Kids, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the Fools, Negative FX, Boys Life, Outlets, Nieghborhoods, Private Lightning, Sorry, Moving Targets, Shoemaker,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

Thank goodness my favorite local band, heck, my favorite band period, reunited for a few shows this year at the House of Blues. Hope to see more of the J. Geils Band in 2010!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cahalane. Show cahalane's posts

It's a crime that Sarah Blacker wasn't nominated this year.  Nice to see 37' Productions Girls Guns and Glory on the nomination block.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomfeeley. Show tomfeeley's posts

The Eilen Jewell Band is awesome. Americana, garage, rockabilly, rock and roll, swing, classic country. Guitarist Jerry Miller is a God. Sadly, she is on the road a lot and doesn't have a weekly residency anymore. But if you get the chance, she is not to be missed. The end of January at Club Passim will be a hot show, I guarantee.

http://www.myspace.com/eilenjewell

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonissad. Show bostonissad's posts

As long as Ernie Boch is involved, this will contnue to be a farce

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from onlyone234. Show onlyone234's posts

I recently went to a show at club Church Monday night to see a friends band perform, and I ended up having the time of my life. The band was "Hannah & The Bloodlines", and they were AMAZING. The lead singer danced around like a maniac, and the music was catchy, but really different, like you would feel hip listening to it in your dorm room cause it didn't sound like a top 40, but they put on an GREAT live show. My new favs, check them out 

and, I agree with the whole Ernie Boch thing....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Mission of Burma.. Barrence Whitfield... Back in the day Loved Scruffy The Cat

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktlsull. Show ktlsull's posts

In Response to Re: Who are your favorite local bands?:
    [QUOTE]As long as Ernie Boch is involved, this will contnue to be a farce
    Posted by bostonissad[/QUOTE]
    You're right, Boch, uses his money to shamelessly huckster himself into the Boston Music Scene,  hobnobbing with the likes of Barry Goudreau, and former Extreme drummer turned Godsmack manager Paul Geary.
    He should stick to selling cars and instead of ussing his dough to make himself seen as much as Oprah (that other shameless hack) maybe he could quietly donate cash to those struggling artists with real talent. Honestly, if he was anyone else would the likes of any mentioned above have anything to do with him? He's yet to see a camera he doesn't like. Whenever there's an event that has nothing to do with him he's right there in EVERY photo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I used to rip into Ernie on a regular basis, but after listening to several interviews and catching his participation in one station's (I forget which) regular contest where he guesses a scrambled version of an oldie, I've decided he's alright.   He loves music and is very knowledable.  As for his own talents in that area,  he knows they're modest and he's self-deprectating.  There are many more, worse ways to spend wads of cash.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'm ernie bawk joonyah, come on down to the awto moile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntersmama72. Show huntersmama72's posts

LIGEIA =]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Morphine

One of my very favorite bands of the 90s; so genuinely dark and lounge-y and hypnotic and different, there was nothing else quite like them.  I have every 'official' recording they made.  They perfected the lo-fi aesthetic that made Pavement critical darlings and now powers the likes of The Black Keys, with a bit of Tom Waits/John Lurie jazz flavor to spice it up.

They're like a well-worn leather jacket that never gets old.  Mark Sandman's first band Treat Her Right was good, but Morphine were brilliant.  With Dana Colley on Sax(es) and Jerry Dupree/Billy Conway on drums, they were one of the best 'power' trios around.  A jaw-dropping live band, they once cranked off 20 songs in a row like it was nobody's business at a show I saw at Lupo's.  Sandman's passing was a terrible loss...so sudden and tragically too soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

to follow up on Morphine:

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Minus-Three-Mothers-Story/dp/1419663941

his mother was quite an amazing person, too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Dropkick Murphys.  When Drive In was still playing, I'd go and see them.  And I have to give some love to f-bomb, since I know the drummer. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Blast from the past.

Sections
Shortcuts