Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass?

In Response to Re: Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass? : Recommendation noted.  Weymouth is connected with both, I believe.  Doesn't cost anything to give them a test drive.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Weymouth and hubby Chris Frantz on drums ARE the Tom Tom Club for all intents and purposes...

...as well as TH's main rhythm section.  [in 'sync-ness' and health?  ;) ]

On St. Valentine's Day, one could do a lot worse than their pop funk gem, "Genius Of Love" - one of the very best singles of the 80s.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]YES! Graham Maby! Sting in the Police, Geddy Lee, John Entwhistle....I know there are more, I'll have to come back........... Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick invented the electric 12 string bass!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Cheap Trick getting some love - Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where is Zilla?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass? : Weymouth and hubby Chris Frantz on drums ARE the Tom Tom Club for all intents and purposes... ...as well as TH's main rhythm section.  [in 'sync-ness' and health?  ;) ] On St. Valentine's Day, one could do a lot worse than their pop funk gem, "Genius Of Love" - one of the very best singles of the 80s.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Sounds like this music was made for my ears.  So amused.  Brilliant spin off from a band I never liked.   Newfound respect.  What more could I have asked for?  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass? : Sounds like this music was made for my ears.  So amused.  Brilliant spin off from a band I never liked.   Newfound respect.  What more could I have asked for?   :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Je vous en prie, mon dame....

:))

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Zilla said "There are no bass players who "make the band" , as in they couldn't survive without them. The bass is a passive instrument that keeps the rhythm and lays down a solid bottom to be built upon. Bass players are rarely flamboyant, or front and center. They are generally the "forgotten man" somewhat invisible. "

Hmn, passive instrument?  I think this is about as far from a passive bass line as you can imagine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RCj1fb_vqQ&feature=related

Stanley Clarke -- a bassist who essentially plays lead guitar on a bass.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who else? The obvious choice is Paul, but who else on bass? : Have to disagree with you there. The OX was not a bass player. He was a bass guitarist and there is a major difference. No way Townsend and Moon can go beserk in the Who's music with The Ox covering everything in the middle. Take him out of the Who - and it is a completely different band.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

This is so true. Entwistle is first and everyone else is fighting for second. I watched a special on Entwisle that highlighted his bass in a variet of Who songs, talked about how he played and compared it with how most bass players would have played it. 

The man was a genius. His bass filled in so much gap and gave The Who a bigger sound that other bands would have had to fill on a record with overdubs and in concert by adding musicians.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

BTW back to the original post, I always thought Sir Paul was a very good bass player in his own right.  The guy is just an incredible musician period.  Not too shabby on lead guitar or piano either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bashbash. Show bashbash's posts

How about Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeder). Didn't see her mentioned in previous posts but apologies if I missed it.

Mostly came to mind because when I was tutoring someone last week, a kid in the house across the street was practicing the bassline from Cannonball. When I saw him in school the next day and asked him if that was what he was playing, he was shocked that I knew the song, lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

Esperanza Spalding---check her out playing with The Roots on Youtube.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

The Jam's Bruce Foxton