Who is the best trio?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Who is the best trio?

There have been a few trios that have had great success ( well isn't all success great?).

Who do you like best?

These are the prime candidates:

Cream
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Rush
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    ZZTop
    Nirvana

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Who is the best trio?

Nirvana turned into a 4 man band after the success of Nevermind. At least live they did.

This is a good one lizard breath. In oder, I would go:

Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Cream
    ELP
    RUSH
    ZZ Top
    Nirvana

Choosing between The Experience and Cream is very difficult.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Foo Fighters start off as a three man band? Green Day as well. I assume the Kingston Trio was a three man group?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Before you ask any more questions that I may or may not be able to answer,

Crosby , Stills and Nash doesn't count as they had unnamed ( in the group name, anyway) bass player and drummer.

I would think the Kingston Trio would be a no brainer, but I am not a fan of that music so I didn't include them here. But if they are a favorite, please put them in your list of favorites.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Before Zilla remembers these ones himself...

Robin Trower operated as a power trio in his glory days 
    Rory Gallagher ditto

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best trio?:
    Before Zilla remembers these ones himself... Robin Trower operated as a power trio in his glory days  Rory Gallagher ditto
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

In the words of the scooter,"holy cow!"

How could I forget these two!

Excellent work Mr. Nut!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Let's also acknowledge:

The Police
    Grand Funk Railroad
    The Jam
    Beck, Bogart and Appice
    Triumph

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Excellent additions guys. How could I forget Beck, Bogart and Appice.

Only joking about the Kingston Trio.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Tony Orlando and Dawn

Wink

Seriously.

You start with Cream -- Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker -- then there's everyone else.

Most notably:

Rush and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Spaceman's top trios:

Minutemen
    ZZ Top
    Police
    The JHE
    Cream
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

We left out a great one - The Jam

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

My order is Police, ELP, Rush, Cream.

Did Traffic start as a trio?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My order is Police, ELP, Rush, Cream. Did Traffic start as a trio?
    Posted by gerbs

The group formed in April 1967 by Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

VH1 is airing a new special on Rush entitled Beyond the Lighted Stage tonight 9 - 11:30. Very cool so far...footage from early 70s including Working Man, which belongs in the other thread about work week songs if it's not already there. I forgot how good and original that tune is.

I had no idea that Geddy's family were Holocaust survivors, or that Neil was not their original drummer. Alex Lifeson lists ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Pink Floyd as their main influences...no real surprise there. Yet, the VH1 description bills them as the "Canadian Heavy Metal" band. When they first aired in Cleveland with Working Man, they were confused with Led Zeppelin by area fans. I guess for the time they were Heavy Metal, just more progressive. Very strong live!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

VH1 is airing a new special on Rush entitled Beyond the Lighted Stage tonight 9 - 11:30. Very cool so far...footage from early 70s including Working Man, which belongs in the other thread about work week songs if it's not already there. I forgot how good and original that tune is. I had no idea that Geddy's family were Holocaust survivors, or that Neil was not their original drummer. Alex Lifeson lists ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Pink Floyd as their main influences...no real surprise there. Yet, the VH1 description bills them as the "Canadian Heavy Metal" band. When they first aired in Cleveland with Working Man, they were confused with Led Zeppelin by area fans. I guess for the time they were Heavy Metal, just more progressive. Very strong live!
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

I am also watching this show. Very informative. I have to admit that I was not a big fan when they first hit. Lee's voice kind of irritated me. I did see them as part of a twin bill with Blue Oyster Cult and thought it was a good show. And as I got older, I truly did start to appreciate them much more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best trio? : I am also watching this show. Very informative. I have to admit that I was not a big fan when they first hit. Lee's voice kind of irritated me. I did see them as part of a twin bill with Blue Oyster Cult and thought it was a good show. And as I got older, I truly did start to appreciate them much more.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree, I wasn't either. I had their double live record and didn't fully appreciate it until later. Critics aired some pretty colorful descriptions of Lee's voice, one involving a hamster or a gerbil. It's nothing if not unique. To sing like that and play what are pretty complex bass lines, he really shines. I can draw definite comparisons between he and Chris Squire of Yes, both playing Rickenbacker bass (love that sound) but of course Squire only sang back up. Also, both bands have virtuouso guitar players and Bruford and Peart are in my book, the best progressive drummers in the business. Never saw Rush live, but wish I had.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best trio? : I agree, I wasn't either. I had their double live record and didn't fully appreciate it until later. Critics aired some pretty colorful descriptions of Lee's voice, one involving a hamster or a gerbil. It's nothing if not unique. To sing like that and play what are pretty complex bass lines, he really shines. I can draw definite comparisons between he and Chris Squire of Yes, both playing Rickenbacker bass (love that sound) but of course Squire only sang back up. Never saw them live, but wish I had.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

That was the bizarre thing - I really wasn't a fan, but I also had the Live album and used to listen to it a lot. But their first few studio albums really didn't do much for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The baddest trio of them all: Godzilla, King Kong and Mothra!  Sorry, I couldn't resist. ZILLAGOD, you have a great logo. When I look at the picture, it makes me chuckle. Plus I always liked the song "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult. That makes me chuckle too. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Cream
    ZZ top.... very underated.
    Police ... Just very very good
    Rush very overated but thats just me

Oh and Green Day very soild

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Lots of great trios out there, including various side and vanity projects.  I think these five perfected the dynamic best:
    - Jimi
    - Cream
    - Rush
    - Police
    - ZZ Top

Others just seemed to get a whole lot out of only three guys.  My other favorites:
    - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
    - Primus
    - James Gang
    - Morphine
    - Ben Folds Five
    - Green Day
    - Violent Femmes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The baddest trio of them all: Godzilla, King Kong and Mothra!  Sorry, I couldn't resist. ZILLAGOD, you have a great logo. When I look at the picture, it makes me chuckle. Plus I always liked the song "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult. That makes me chuckle too. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan

Thanks. The song Godzilla is the #1 reason why I picked this username (one of the vocalists on this song ,either Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser or Eric Bloom says the word "ZILLAGOD" , at the tail end of the studio version) . There are a few other reasons that I am sure would bore most of you. I usually try to pick user names of favorite rock songs from favorite groups. I occasionally post on mlb.com as "demonseye" a great 'b' side from Deep Purple, which is a song I like alot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best trio? : Thanks. The song Godzilla is the #1 reason why I picked this username (one of the vocalists on this song ,either Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser or Eric Bloom says the word "ZILLAGOD" , at the tail end of the studio version) . There are a few other reasons that I am sure would bore most of you. I usually try to pick user names of favorite rock songs from favorite groups. I occasionally post on mlb.com as "demonseye" a great 'b' side from Deep Purple, which is a song I like alot.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

This has the making of a good Thread. How did you come up with your user name? Should I do it here or the Sox forum?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best trio? : This has the making of a good Thread. How did you come up with your user name? Should I do it here or the Sox forum?
    Posted by jesseyeric

You'll reach more people on the Sox forum , of course.

I wonder if the mods will consider it relevant? Even the famous "eyebrow thread" had a connection to baseball...Andy Etchebarren.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best trio? : You'll reach more people on the Sox forum , of course. I wonder if the mods will consider it relevant? Even the famous "eyebrow thread" had a connection to baseball...Andy Etchebarren.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

That Sox forum is filled with quite a few stick in the muds. No one wishes to play on that thead.

FYI - Jessey Eric are taken from my favorite fictional and non-fictional characters:

Jessey James - Non-Fiction

Eric Draven - Fiction (The Crow)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The origins of my user name are very lame.  When I first set up an account on BDC you were limited to 9 characters.  I wanted to make it clear I was a big Sox fan, and I noticed that some people were including abbreviations for the place they live in their names.  So 'Hfxsoxnut' seemed to be my best choice.  I've come to regret the 'nut' part though...in the other forum I post on I'm just 'Hfxbob.'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Blind Faith??  Maybe to short a stint.