Who is This (advanced level)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is This (advanced level)

Hi Everyone: After posting a few mystery threads, a few more of our smart and clever forum members piled them on for a few days recently (lots of fun, but I can't take any credit for putting the clues together) --  Anyhow, in the spirit of not wanting to wear out the welcome for these threads, I'm posting this b/c I had it filed away and didn't want to forget about it.  In the future, I'll post them on an occasional basis, just not that often.   Thanks, and have at it.  =)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This person is an American singer / songwriter known for eclectic and folk inspired music.  Two of this artist's songs, from a second album, reached the top 10 of various international charts.  One hit was originally produced a capella.  This person grew up in Spanish Harlem and the Upper West Side, attended the prestigious High School for the Performing Arts and also attended college in NYC.  Played small venues in Greenwich Village and became a regular to a songwriter's group at the Corneila Street Cafe.  By the mid-80's, a recording contract came about, and the artist became one of the first artists to break into a major label from Fast Folk (a cooperative that enabled singer / songwriters to release their first recordings).  The debut album of this artist received more acclaim in the UK than in the USA.  A video was released which went into MTV rotation.  The second album garnered commercial success, had a single hit, and was an international success.  The biggest hit this artist ever had was originally remixed and then bootlegged until the artist allowed it to be released through their contracted record company.   Along the way, this artist has done some songs for films, and has a song featured on the soundtrack of the film, "Dead Man Walking."  This artist has collaborated with Joe Jackson.  Going (way) forward, one of this artist's major hits was covered in a British film, under the title "Keep Moving", with revised lyrics. 

Who is this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Who is This (advanced level)

She is  2nd cousins with Vincent from Pulp Fiction and her name is Luka

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

luka was a song by suzanne (i think?) vega...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

and she/he lives on the second floor

"The biggest hit this artist ever had was originally remixed and then bootlegged until the artist allowed it to be released through their contracted record company"

She actually was wicked pissed and made a huge stink until she found out it was a hit. She ended getting all the money from the record sales of the unauthorized version

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

You give too many clues, and it looks like you're relying too much on wikipedia for your sources. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

jkj: you had it at "hello" didn't you? 

Yes, from what I could see she was a bit of a PIA about that bootlegged version.  Is that what gave it away (it was a good clue, I thought), or did you get it right away? 

Okay, either way, nice going.  Too bad we're not getting paid for this. 

Laughing

Slim, you're right.  I give too many clues, but if you could see how much I leave out, I distill a huge amount of information into a very concise annotated paragraph, so it doesn't look like much to me.  I think putting some facts together for clues is really interesting.  But I'm a geek, and I admit that all the time, and have done history projects for a living, so I love unique facts and details.  I can't help myself. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Bobby McFerrin?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

OOps, didn't realize it was answered already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Tom's Dinner reminds me of my brother, and I have the Dead Man Walking soundtrack,  which is perfect music for weather like today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Who is This (advanced level):
    [QUOTE]OOps, didn't realize it was answered already.
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]
    No problem, and thanks for taking a guess!

I feel at least somewhat vindicated that it's not obvious to everyone.  I thought the a capella reference would throw some people off.  McFerrin was actually a decent guess.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Tom's Dinner reminds me of my brother, and I have the Dead Man Walking soundtrack,  which is perfect music for weather like today.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    You have the DMW soundtrack?  Well, of course you do. 

Please excuse me while I rest my head on my keyboard for a while ... zzzzzzzzzz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE] You have the DMW soundtrack?  Well, of course you do.  Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that you don't ... well that's odd

Just another tidbit of uselessness; Patti Smith also has a song on the soundtrack album ... I kind of have a theme for today going.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

methinks you should do the next one not necessarily more obscure, because that's what half of (if not all of) these guys here specialize in...something with a (relatively) newer artist would probably have a much better chance of stumping this forum...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]methinks you should do the next one not necessarily more obscure, because that's what half of (if not all of) these guys here specialize in...something with a (relatively) newer artist would probably have a much better chance of stumping this forum...
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]Got it.  Hear you loud and clear.  However, there are some regular posters whose tastes are pretty far reaching, so the bottom line for me is to reduce the clues and details and be more cagey.  I'm too gracious about what I include to make it interesting to read, more than making it a challenge.  Stay tuned. 
    Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]methinks you should do the next one not necessarily more obscure, because that's what half of (if not all of) these guys here specialize in...something with a (relatively) newer artist would probably have a much better chance of stumping this forum...
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Ask what you will bridge keeper, I am not afraid .... Green, no blue...arrrrrrrg

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is This (advanced level) : Got it.  Hear you loud and clear.  However, there are some regular posters whose tastes are pretty far reaching, so the bottom line for me is to reduce the clues and details and be more cagey.  I'm too gracious about what I include to make it interesting to read, more than making it a challenge.  Stay tuned. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

awesome, i look forward to these trivia posts