Who is This / ID this band!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is This / ID this band!

They're a somethin somethin  rock jam band formed in the mid-1990s, but they have a throwback sound.   They released their self-titled debut album ca 1995.  You might think of them as a staple at music festivals.  Including their own eclectic members, frequent guests to the band include notables with funk, blues and rock elements that add to the band's sound.  For their NY Eve concert in 1998, they were joined by many notable bands (Black Crowes, Parliament/Funkadelic to name two) and released a two and four CD version of the live concert.   They have been influenced by and covered Neil Young, Traffic, Free, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Mongo Santmaria, to name a few.  In 2000, they released another album, to critical praise, but it did not produce true commercial success.   One of the band mates died that year.  A benefit concert was organized and more notables and friends of the deceased performed at the concert.   The "Smile at Half Mast" tour was in reference to a poem written and read at the deceased band mate's funeral.  The band continued with a tribute album.  A session album was created with contributions from such luminaries as John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Flea and Chris Squire (Yes), among others.  The band was constantly surrounded by and collaborated with some of the most influential musicians in the history of rock music.  A former member of the Black Crowes became a member of this band. 

They tour extensively and have become a staple at Bonnaroo, Wakarusa, Mountain Jam, and Vegoose, among others and have an annual gig at the New Orleans Jazzfest.  They have had a tradition playing Halloween concerts where one year they performed an entire set of over two hours worth of  Stones' covers, and in 2010, used the first set of their concert to cover The Who's "Who's Next" in it's entirety.

Who are they?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Who is This / ID this band!

Foo Fighters?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Gov't Mule

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

NOPE.  Not FF. 
    Cool

Tried to be more cagey. Took your advice.  Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Who is This / ID this band!:
    [QUOTE]Gov't Mule
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

YUP. 

I thought this would take longer to figure out ... what do I know?  Just too obvious?  They are a cool band, Zilla might like them ... what do you think?

Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Yoga - you should've known I'd be all over this like bourbon over ice.

One of my favorite jam bands and truly one of the best blues-based rock bands working today.  Warren Haynes has an annual blues-oriented Mountain Jam festival in the Catskills (and which I would be going to this year if I didn't already have Phish tix).  ;)

Their Deep End live series is top-notch, as is the recent "Mulennium".  In the former, they did a version of "Goin' Down" with guest bassist Roger Glover that was absolutely smokin'.  Seriously, what's not to like...?!?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No freaking kidding ... but you weren't around earlier today, so I thought the coast was clear.  
    Cool
    I've got a reallllllly tough one lined up.   This time I reallllllly mean it. 
    Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I always get to these threads late.
    Fidel Castro

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I sacrificed research for quickness as I expected someone more familiar with 90's era music to beat me to the punch.

I was right about getting beat out, anyway.

Excellent question.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks.  Also, they are part of the Allman Bros. brotherhood, and I knew Matty would be hot on the trail, so I did leave out "southern rock" -- and stayed as far away as I could, but it wasn't enough.  They are an interesting band. 

BTW, you should check them out.   Might not be your cup of tea, but I do think that you might be pleasantly surprised that they are a relatively "young" band by some standards (ha ha) and have a very comfy classic feel to them (see Matty's comment above).

It's all fun.  Like you, I was just trying to shake up the mix a little bit, and began a few brain teasers over the past week or two.

Glad you're back. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Yeah, I thought that was an easy one, but then again I listen to them all the time.  Too bad they broke up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I thought that was an easy one, but then again I listen to them all the time.  Too bad they broke up.
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]I'm sure you know more about them than I do as a long-standing fan, but I know from writing up the mini-bio/history that they're performing live and are going to be at a few festivals this year.  They are performing as The Warren Haynes Band in some cases.   Check Mule.net and you'll see where they're going to be, and see Matty's comment above.  If he sees this post next week, he may be able to give more feedback. 

Just wanted to let you know.
    Stay tuned.  =)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks.  Also, they are part of the Allman Bros. brotherhood, and I knew Matty would be hot on the trail, so I did leave out "southern rock" -- and stayed as far away as I could, but it wasn't enough.  They are an interesting band.  BTW, you should check them out.   Might not be your cup of tea, but I do think that you might be pleasantly surprised that they are a relatively "young" band by some standards (ha ha) and have a very comfy classic feel to them (see Matty's comment above). It's all fun.  Like you, I was just trying to shake up the mix a little bit, and began a few brain teasers over the past week or two. Glad you're back. :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I have about 5 or 6 of their CD albums.

They are great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is This / ID this band! : I'm sure you know more about them than I do as a long-standing fan, but I know from writing up the mini-bio/history that they're performing live and are going to be at a few festivals this year.  They are performing as The Warren Haynes Band in some cases.   Check Mule.net and you'll see where they're going to be, and see Matty's comment above.  If he sees this post next week, he may be able to give more feedback.  Just wanted to let you know. Stay tuned.  =)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I've been misinformed.  I was told by a friend that he heard on the news that they are done. 

That said, Gov't Mule is not the same as The Warren Haynes Band.  Mule has one show scheduled for 2011, the Mountain Jam on June 2 thru 5.  The Warren Haynes Band is playing AND Gov't Mule at that show. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is This / ID this band! : Perhaps I've been misinformed.  I was told by a friend that he heard on the news that they are done.  That said, Gov't Mule is not the same as The Warren Haynes Band.  Mule has one show scheduled for 2011, the Mountain Jam on June 2 thru 5.  The Warren Haynes Band is playing AND Gov't Mule at that show. 
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]
    mmm, thanks.  As stated earlier, I am sure you have more knowledge about them than I do (myself a casual listener, and the OP writer who thought it would be fun to ID them since we've never talked about them in the forum -- they're not obscure, but they're also not full on mainstream, either). 

Is the WH band a totally different lineup of musicians, as far as you know (except for WH himself)?   Will Mule fans make the cross over to that band (such as yourself, for example) or are you disenchanted?  

Thanks for chiming in, BTW.   Enjoy all comments.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

It is a different line up.  I'm sure Mule fans will cross over.  Thing is, to me, it's kind of been the WHB since Alan Woody passed away.

I'm guessing he just wants to play with more musicians but not tarnish Mule. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]It is a different line up.  I'm sure Mule fans will cross over.  Thing is, to me, it's kind of been the WHB since Alan Woody passed away. I'm guessing he just wants to play with more musicians but not tarnish Mule. 
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  It's always hard to say a musician may or may not be replaceable, but Woody was a master bassist and the anchor of the band.  One of my favorite live recordings is the Mule at the Roseland Ballroom, New Year's Eve, 1995 - a great example of a jam band with all its strengths on display and one of Woody's best performances, IMHO.

That said, they still continued to thrive in the 00's and are still an outstanding live band.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Warren Haynes just ate another cheeseburger in the time it took for the correct answer to come into this thread.

Sections
Shortcuts