Who is this? ID this band.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is this? ID this band.

This band is considered alternative rock, with leanings in psychedelic and electronic experimentation.  Blur, Elvis Costello, Collective Soul, and Wynton Marsalis have been referenced as major influences in their work.  

They go on record for having the longest-ever title for an EP.  They eventually signed onto the same label as Primal Scream and My Bloody Valentine.  Years later that label made a mistake by releasing the bands' second album just a few days after the major release of a long-awaited Oasis album (also on the same label); despite doubts that the band had reached its commercial success ceiling,  they continued to prosper and were considered a favorite in the music press. 

In 2000, they were nominated for a Grammy for a work that involved Beatles' recordings.  One of their all-time favorite albums is an old Beach Boys album from the seventies.  They've been kicking around releasing 9 albums in 15 years, and while they may have had more success on another continent than they have had in the USA, they are considered a cult favorite. 

Name this band. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Who is this? ID this band.

i know this one! i'm sure matty does too, though. let's see!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Not sure...For some reason I have a memory of Fiona Apple having the longest title on an album, I could be wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

that is true i think, but this is the longest EP record. not LP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

That's right EP "extended play".  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

That's interesting about Fiona Apple.  Didn't know that. 

I had a hunch Smitty would know this one; thanks for leaving it open.  :)

Can't possibly give any more hints w/out giving it away.  

Let's see if someone surfaces with the answer.  There's no rush on a hot summer afternoon.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Hi Guys...been busy today...

I just glanced over here, and as soon as I read "longest ep title", I knew it...

...these are some of my ddear ffellowe welshmen...!!

Inscrutable, yes, but soooo rewarding, even if you sometimes have no clue what they're bloody croaking about.

Not entirely sure about the collective soul influence, however, since they came out around the same time....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

This has nothing to do with this thread, but I wanted to show Matty this....

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/15/137798259/live-today-gomez-in-concert

.... now please re-join our regular scheduled programming

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, no problem.  I was thinking jkj would have known this band, actually (note: the band in this thread was easier to ID than Gomez, IMHO). :)

The band is Super Furry Animals (SFA, no one actually said the band name yet), and as mentioned, their country of origin is Wales.   While they may maintain a stronger fan base in Wales/UK than they do in the USA, they seem to enjoy a comfy cult status here.  I'm shameless in admitting I heard them on a WB tv program ("The OC" - started so well, ended so badly -- but introduced great music along the way) in the early 2000's.   From my limited exposure, they're eclectic and very original.  

Weigh in if you have any comments.  Thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Who is this? ID this band.:
    [QUOTE]This has nothing to do with this thread, but I wanted to show Matty this.... http://www.npr.org/2011/07/15/137798259/live-today-gomez-in-concert .... now please re-join our regular scheduled programming
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I saw that...

...though it's too bad that Ben lost his voice and got sidelined.  Lucky for me, I got to see him/them before he cancelled some appearances...

...but that's also a great thing about this band; they are so nimble and talented and their songwriting so solid that they can adapt on the fly.  Many other bands simply can't.

Why this band isn't more widely recognized here in the states is a musical sin, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i watched the first two seasons or so of the OC when it came out, agreed on the soundtrack.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I like the SFA, yet knew nothing about their back story, I have a few of their discs,  They are pretty good.